Wind Noise Through Moonroof

I'm bringing my 1998 SC400 into the Lexus dealer this Friday to have them work on getting rid of some of the squeaks and tapping sounds that are getting to me. I'm wondering what is the acceptable standard for the amount of wind noise coming through the moonroof with the shade retracted. I'd say that I have a moderate amount of noise but no actual air (4 out of 10). When going across a bridge with wind blowing across the car, the noise level increases. The moonroof looks flush from the top of the car looking down.

So, how much noise do you get through your moonroof at freeway speeds? It's seems noiser than my old Honda Accord.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem. I brought it into the dealer, they taped up the sunroof and we drove around at high speeds. There still was wind noise. They say it's "outside wind noise". there's no fix for it. My ES also has the same problem. and other toyotas I have been in. It seems Lexus doesnt believe in Wind Noise Deflectors, because a Nissan I have doesn't have wind noise at all.

I have the same problem with my 95' SC400. Dealer test drove with me and said it was an acceptable level. I still disagree and tried some 3M sealant tape over the front seal. It made little difference. I also checked to see if the front was slightly down from the roofline and the rear slightly up, it was but I did notice there is a slight crown in the moon roof. I pulled it down from inside the car but I still feel there is to much noise getting in or out. Maybe a windscreen deflector might work, anybody every use one? :)

I'm an SC400 owner:

Just in case you have the same wind noise problem I have...

If I close the moonroof from a tilted position, its pretty noisy.

When I open (slide back slightly) and reclose (slide close)

it becomes much quieter.

I'm bringing my 1998 SC400 into the Lexus dealer this Friday to have them work on getting rid of some of the squeaks and tapping sounds that are getting to me. I'm wondering what is the acceptable standard for the amount of wind noise coming through the moonroof with the shade retracted. I'd say that I have a moderate amount of noise but no actual air (4 out of 10). When going across a bridge with wind blowing across the car, the noise level increases. The moonroof looks flush from the top of the car looking down.

So, how much noise do you get through your moonroof at freeway speeds? It's seems noiser than my old Honda Accord.

Thanks,

I wonder if a rubber softener would help? Quoting skperformance from the ES FAQ:

"also i use meguires tire endurance dressing to help it seal along the sela of all the windows door edges ,trunk and sunroof, once done it will improve the less of air whistle"

I have tried silicone and the tire endurance tip as well but I did not hear much improvement. I can however put a little forward pressure on the moon roof while driving and I do notice a significant drop in wind nose. All the mounting hardware and sliding hardware is fully secured and I do not feel there is any play in the system. :(

I have tried silicone and the tire endurance tip as well but I did not hear much improvement. I can however put a little forward pressure on the moon roof while driving and I do notice a significant drop in wind nose. All the mounting hardware and sliding hardware is fully secured and I do not feel there is any play in the system. :(

I'd replace the seal, regardless of what the dealer says. My 1992's roof makes almost *zero* noise, even without the shade pulled. Something is definitely wrong.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My SC's noise is sometimes louder than it usually is and sometimes it's quiet...the dealership said just get a wind deflector, although the cars aren't designed for it.

I have a 98GS and there is no noticable windnoise when it is closed. If that is any help. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed my moonroof squeaking problem last year after reading the Acura forums. I used a very expensive silicone grease called Shin-etsu that Honda/Acura carries. The service people gave me a small amount for free and that's all I needed. I used it all around the rubber gaskets and the moonroof has been quieter and squeakfree!

The grease is really expensive so see if you can score some for free.

Art in Seattle

• 4 weeks later...
I'm an SC400 owner:

Just in case you have the same wind noise problem I have...

If I close the moonroof from a tilted position, its pretty noisy.

When I open (slide back slightly) and reclose (slide close)

it becomes much quieter.

Yes. I read about this problem a long time ago and someone said the same thing. And it really does cut more than half the sound down. And then closing the other part makes it almost silent. And that's going 70ish on the freeway.