2002 Sc430 Tire Pressure Light

LC6529

I recently had my tires replaced on my 2002 SC430 (80K miles), the dealer used a 'rebuild' kit on the sensors and all seemed fine. After a few months the tire pressure light went on so I took it back to the dealer (Toyota) who contacted a Lexus dealership and they did a procedure which (according to them) required them to deflate all the tires and then inflate them again. All seemed fine for a week and then the light came on again though the tires were fine. The dealer tried the procedure again but the light stays on. They have admitted this is beyond their skill set and have suggested I take it to the Lexus dealership but the problem is they want $200 just for a diagnostic fee so the recommendation is to just put a piece of black tape over the light.

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions other than 'black tape'. I admit to being OCD about warning lights on the dash so I would like to get this light off without dropping a couple of hundred bucks.

There is a reset button which IF you can find it might help. Of course you'd have to read how to do it all. I had new tires on my wife's RAV4 with the same system and they used the same sensors and reset it without issue. Maybe, depending on the year of your car, you might be able to call up the individual tire pressures. Very nice to have a display that shows all your exact tire pressures. TPS's are a real headache now. In 10-15 years they will be a nightmare and everybody will have black tape on these.

Best of luck with it all. And oh yes, check the spare because they are included. Only cars with run-flats wouldn't have a spare.

denny

Follow Up - I did check and it does not have a spare. I bought the car with 19K on it and it had the original run-flats which i replaced with Michelins (what a difference in the ride!) . It is now on it's second set of Michelins

As someone who runs two sets of tires (summer and winter), I have two sets of TPMS installed. Both are programmed by Lexus, as lots of other tire shops I went to told me that they do not have the proper programming device to set the TPMS sensors. There is a small switch on the side of the glove box. When I switch tires, I am supposed to change that switch. Very rarely does this work and every season (every tire change), I have to return to Lexus. In a perfect world, this system works as it should. Takes about 10 minutes to erase the old sensors and set the new ones. Luckily since I paid the $80 first time, they've done it gratis since (as it's their fault that it never retains in the car's memory as TPMS set 1 vs TPMS set 2). I choose to keep my TPMS and avoid the black tape, as the sensors has saved me a few times (highway at 75mph, tire deflated and shredded on me). Saved me to know that it wasn't an error b'c the light came on immediately. Secondly, it truly sounds like your problem might be a dying battery in one of your sensors. Works fine for a while, then signals out. Only way to diagnose is to take it to Lexus and let them hook up a computer to the OBDII port. $200 for diagnostic sounds insane, though! Maybe try a different dealer.

• 1 month later...

http://www.myobd2.de/wholesale/intelligent-tester-it2-for-without-oscilloscope.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA64uyBRCVmKyT2vuAjzgSJADfINB6aS5fZnHN5XHGhkrFWbmHRoUhtGn4tHlOgsQKl1VKwRoCA5Lw_wcB.

If you buy this device, then you can

analyze yourself and adjust everything on the SC. The OBD2 Tester is great.

The equipment you can find on eBay.

Greetings Form Germany

Update - I took the SC in to Lexus due to a safety recall on the passenger side airbag, while they had the car they agreed to run a diagnostic at a reduced fee and the problem turned out to be a bad wheel sensor which they replaced. Total bill was $200. I didn't like the price but at least the annoying light is off.

Well, that's done the problem. If you can invest $ 250, then you buy still a IT2. With this device you can save a lot of service charge at Lexus. Error codes read and individual programming and much more is now possible. Even the deletion of the error codes is therefore possible and also programming the ECU.