Oops, I "fixed" The Cd Changer Now The Stereo Doesn't Work

sfav8r

It's a long story, but the bottom line is I was fixing the CD changer in the trunk and in doing so, one of the power wires to the changer shorted against the body and made a spark. I wasn't worried about it because I figured worst case I just blew a fuse. I put everything back together, turned the stereo on, and nothing...no power just a black stereo head. I checked the power at the CD changer and it has no power. I checked both radio fuses (one under the dash and one next to the battery) and they are both good. I believe the power to the CD comes from a connector on the stereo head but I don't know what got messed up. Any suggestions? Is this something the dealer would know about? I sometimes think they know less about the accessories than I do.

New lesson learned. Always disconnect the battery before working on major electronics components in these cars. There are exceptions like tail lights etc. And a few sensors like the O2.

I don't see how a wire can short to the body. They are all protected with insulation, and have plugs that would plug into the CD player, so unless the insulation was worn off or peeled off there is no way that will happen.

New lesson learned. Always disconnect the battery before working on major electronics components in these cars. There are exceptions like tail lights etc. And a few sensors like the O2.

I don't see how a wire can short to the body. They are all protected with insulation, and have plugs that would plug into the CD player, so unless the insulation was worn off or peeled off there is no way that will happen.

I agree about the battery. Un fortunately part of my troubleshooting included Verifying the voltage. Once that was done I should have disconnected the battery. As for the shorting, it was your basic stupidity. I had put a small jumper in the connector for testing and I dropped the connector and the 0ther end of the jumper made contact with the body.

Your next assignment is to find some real good service info on these systems. I wonder where any of the fix it places get the info?

Maybe on the Toyota tech site ? I've never done it I'll have to try that someday. If you had the service info things would be much easier. The main thing that ruins it for us is the theft password deal, I suppose any info on the radio system is only for ones that qualify for the lock smith deal on the tech site. Because any service info would have how to reset an existing password. Gosh these old cars should have that deal removed, I don't think anyone would want to take an old LS400 radio. They are dirt cheap in some wrecking yards.

If you choose, Go to "Toyota Information Service". This is Toyota's site for all things technical about Lexus, Scion, and Toyota. Try TIS.com. You have to register and the use of the site is $15.00 for two days use.

There is everything here from wiring, specifications, how-to and much more.

Paul

If you choose, Go to "Toyota Information Service". This is Toyota's site for all things technical about Lexus, Scion, and Toyota. Try TIS.com. You have to register and the use of the site is $15.00 for two days use.

There is everything here from wiring, specifications, how-to and much more.

Paul

That is what I had mentioned in my above post.

And you would have to be a certified and bonded entity to access the radio / stereo repair information. They should make that accessible for Cars over 20 years old. There is no reason to ever protect an old Lexus stereo system from theft, I don't think anyone wants them. As I said they are dirt cheap and wrecking yards.