Smells When I Turn On A/c

My 2002 GS300 smells terrible when I first turn on the A/C. Dealer said it isn't covered under warranty. That it was going to cost $150 for them to clean "something" with no guarantees it would help. Any suggestions?

Find the dead animal in the system and get it out of there. Spray in some Simple Green and that should fix it. :rolleyes: I had to do that to my girlfriends Volvo.

My 2002 GS300 smells terrible when I first turn on the A/C.  Dealer said it isn't covered under warranty.  That it was going to cost $150 for them to clean "something" with no guarantees it would help.  Any suggestions?

quick fix is to spray Lysol air freshener into air intake vents (under hood, in front of wipers) with motor & A/C running and cabin vent controls set to open (not recirculating)

Dealer suggested this to me as I have same issue. Problem stems from mildew on A/C/air-intake filters & possibly condenser? Odor will return after prolonged use of A/C during summer months unless mildew germs are totally disinfected and gone. Another dealer suggested same procedure but with heat on instead of A/C to kill germs. GS300TURBO posted back in March that he flushed vents thru lower drain and wiped condenser & disinfected which sounded like best solution, but not sure how he flushed vents with water and wiped/disinfected the condenser. GS300TURBO-if you read this, pls elaborate on how you flushed & treated. Thanks

You need to change the filter that cleans the incoming air. Open the glove compartment and it's actually behind the glove box behind a removable plastic panel. It simply slides out.

Something about these filters makes a very sweet, sickening smell when they need to be changed. On mine, I took the filter out and drove the car until I could get by the Lexus dealer and get a new filter. I think the filter was about $55 to $60.

I hope this helps.

it's a common problem with many cars nowadays.

The filter is the best place to start as I did all suggestions here on my ES last May.

I can say that after you spray cowls and ducts with Lysol or Simple Green, your AC will blow this smell for a couple of weeks. I tried it with both heat and AC.

The problem lies in the filter. Changing the filter totally rid the AC of the horrid smell......kinda like really bad feet. I just change it once a year now, right before heavy AC use (May).

The dealer nails you with the cost.

I get mine now at www.irontoad.com. They are half the price.

steviej

it's a common problem with many cars nowadays.

The filter is the best place to start as I did all suggestions here on my ES last May.

I can say that after you spray cowls and ducts with Lysol or Simple Green, your AC will blow this smell for a couple of weeks. I tried it with both heat and AC.

The problem lies in the filter. Changing the filter totally rid the AC of the horrid smell......kinda like really bad feet. I just change it once a year now, right before heavy AC use (May).

The dealer nails you with the cost.

I get mine now at www.irontoad.com. They are half the price.

steviej

I do feel that on 1998 ES300(Not sure it does have a filter), could some one throw some light on getting rid of the smell on ES300 Please. Thanks

• 8 months later...
My 2002 GS300 smells terrible when I first turn on the A/C.  Dealer said it isn't covered under warranty.  That it was going to cost $150 for them to clean "something" with no guarantees it would help.  Any suggestions?

i just bought a 2001 gs300 and when i turn on the ac i get a funky smell coming from the vents.

i took out the cabin air filter and smelled it it looked a little dirty but didnt smell so i bought some frebreeze and sprayed it into where the filter would go with the a/c on highthe smell seemed to go away but now when i turned on the heat i can smell it

this sux :cries: if anyone has had this problem please e mail me mgacura@nyc.rr.com

GS300TURBO posted back in March that he flushed vents thru lower drain and wiped condenser & disinfected which sounded like best solution, but not sure how he flushed vents with water and wiped/disinfected the condenser. GS300TURBO-if you read this, pls elaborate on how you flushed & treated. Thanks

There's no filter on the 1st gens, so I removed the access cover after flushing throught the top vents by the hood and wiped the condensor with a rag, carefully! Then took a spray bottle with cleaning solution, you could dillute some bleach, but dont get it on the carpet. Sprayed the solution all over condensor until it was saturated then flushed with a spray bottle of water. Just keep an eye on the ac drain vent after you do this it can become clogged in humid weather and bacteria can easily start growing if you don't keep it flushed. Whenever I go through the carwash I make sure I leave it on outside air so the ac condensor will stay clean. Also if you leave it on inside air often theres more of a chance for mildew to form. B)

i just bought a 2001 gs300 and when i turn on the ac i get a funky smell coming from the vents.

i took out the cabin air filter and smelled it it looked a little dirty but didnt smell so i bought some frebreeze and sprayed it into where the filter would go with the a/c on highthe smell seemed to go away but now when i turned on the heat i can smell it

this sux :cries: if anyone has had this problem please e mail me mgacura@nyc.rr.com