Buying Used Car From A Lexus Dealer (not Certified)

lexanta

If I'm buying a used car from a lexus dealer. Should I get the car inspected ? Don't the dealer inspect the car and fix whatever before on the lot ? I'm not talking about third party dealer. Please advise.

lexanta,

Dealerships vary as to when they fix any of the problem areas they discover on a trade in. They will always ensure that the car is safe to drive, brakes, tires, wipers, etc., but the bad fitting door panel, small stain on the seat, etc., is different.

Some dealerships will fix all of these issues before they put them on the lot, hoping to make the car look as perfect and draw a higher dollar. Other dealers, will only do the cosmetic issues after you show your interest, and point out to them what you want corrected. In this case, they're hoping you won't find them all (if they're even aware of them themselves.)

What it comes down to is that it costs more money for them to certify the car, than it does to sell it without the certification because their services guys have to go through an actual Lexus checklist and verify the 150 different things that have to be looked at. So expect to pay more for the certification.

Test drive the car and inspect it carefully. Only you can decide whether having the certification is worth it to you.

• 1 year later...