Welcome To Electrical Hell.

KooK

2001 Lexus RX300

There's a common point in the electronics of this vehicle that is !Removed! up and it's taking a lot of stuff with it.

What it's losing:

Door chime (doesn't recognize the key is inserted and door is open)

Dome light (doesn't work with door opening, however the individual little lights on the bottoms of the doors still work when opened)

Door locks (Neither the key fob or the switches work inside)

Door windows (They all work individually, drivers controls drivers, passengers controls passengers, but drivers will not control passengers)

Automatic climate control system

MPG computer in center screen does not register anything

Exterior temperature gauge

ECT Snow button does not work

Drivers seat belt warning doesn't work (passengers does)

Fuel gauge pegs to high

Engine temp gauge pegs to low

All of this stuff was working 3 days ago, none of it is working now. I pulled the body control module and the board itself doesn't have damage (doesn't mean it's not screwed up). The strange thing is, this has all happened before and out of nowhere, it all starts working again overnight. I'm trying to figure out what connects all these systems together, whether it be a pigtail somewhere, a ground, or a module. I've been looking at the wiring pdf file online and it's a mess to even sort out. Somebody did the world no favors when they mapped that thing out.

Have you checked the output voltage on alternator? There is also probably a 12volt regulator on the instrument panel, but not sure. Sounds like a voltage problem or ground issue. Check all ground connections in engine compartment.

I'll continue this after I check that in a week. I just got this thing not too long ago and found out the timing belt is about 35k overdue and it's over 8 years old. I'm afraid if I look at it wrong it will break (timing belt kit + water pump will be here Thursday).

• 6 years later...
On 8/29/2015 at 6:34 PM, KooK said:

2001 Lexus RX300

There's a common point in the electronics of this vehicle that is !Removed! up and it's taking a lot of stuff with it.

What it's losing:

Door chime (doesn't recognize the key is inserted and door is open)

Dome light (doesn't work with door opening, however the individual little lights on the bottoms of the doors still work when opened)

Door locks (Neither the key fob or the switches work inside)

Door windows (They all work individually, drivers controls drivers, passengers controls passengers, but drivers will not control passengers)

Automatic climate control system

MPG computer in center screen does not register anything

Exterior temperature gauge

ECT Snow button does not work

Drivers seat belt warning doesn't work (passengers does)

Fuel gauge pegs to high

Engine temp gauge pegs to low

All of this stuff was working 3 days ago, none of it is working now. I pulled the body control module and the board itself doesn't have damage (doesn't mean it's not screwed up). The strange thing is, this has all happened before and out of nowhere, it all starts working again overnight. I'm trying to figure out what connects all these systems together, whether it be a pigtail somewhere, a ground, or a module. I've been looking at the wiring pdf file online and it's a mess to even sort out. Somebody did the world no favors when they mapped that thing out.

Having these SAME issues and it's a PAIN! Were you ever able to get this sorted out?