Power Steering Flush Leads To Major Noise

nelson

Ever since I had that lube center flush my power steering system the other day, now it's making all kinds of whirring noise when I turn, and the wheel is a bit harder to turn. Fluid looks good. :huh: Wonder what they did to it. Last time I go to any place called Grease Monkey <_< and never again will I let a lube center talk me into some extra service. Am I going to have to replace the pump?

Most likely there is air in the system.....

I flushed mine DIY a week ago and all is well...........

raise the car wheels up just off the ground with two jacks / stands

Open cap on PS reservoir....LEAVE car off. Turn wheels slowly Lock to Lock several times. Keep cap on loosely and start car. Leave in Park on idle. Turn wheel lock to lock several more times. Turn off car and lower.

Another trick is to leave PS cap off all night to let air bubbles out.

Another possibility is that they used the wrong fluid. My 99LS400 uses DexIII or equivalent. MOst PS fluids are not DexIII .....so this could be the problem.

See post about PS Flush in the LS400 section....it's on the first or second page right now!!!

Thanks, 99lsguy. Noticed this morning the whirring noise doesn't really occur when I first start up the vehicle. But after a few minutes, when it's fully warmed up, I get power steering whirring noise all over the place whenever the wheel is turned.

So you may be right about them using the wrong fluid. I've tried getting the air out, still noisy after engine is warmed up. Thanks for the advice I'll try changing the fluid next.

Great!

Let us know how it turns out...

I used valvoline maxlife ATF (2 quarts) because of its claim to "reconditoin" rubber seals & components ;) - thought it may be worth a shot. It's been about 3 weeks now and all is well. Although, I keep feeling like the steering may be a touch "stiffer" - but my imagination may be tricking me.

I plan on another flush this summer...to help keep clean and perhaps remove any "gunk" I've stirred up in the system with the clean fluid.... I've got a case of Toyota T-IV ATF that I use for the tranny pan drain maintenance - I might as well use it; it's great fluid :D

99lsguy, in case you didn't know, Toyota Type T-IV is not approved by Toyota for use in any Toyota transmissions or power steering systems that require a Dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid. (and all Toyota/Lexus power steering systems require a Dexron II or III fluid)

However, Toyota does offer their own Dexron II & III fluid and here's what it looks like: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/gtatf2.jpg Naturally, Toyota/Lexus do not want

any Dexron fluid used in their transmissions that require Type T-IV either.

Yeah Valvoline says their Maxlife is good for all these uses, but the oil companies can't be fully trusted. Consider the fiasco Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90 gear lubricant has been. Mobil claimed it "eases shifting effort in manual transmissions" when in fact makes gears clash and makes shifting (in Toyotas) becomes miserably notchy.

99lsguy, in case you didn't know, Toyota Type T-IV is not approved by Toyota for use in any Toyota transmissions or power steering systems that require a Dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid. (and all Toyota/Lexus power steering systems require a Dexron II or III fluid)

However, Toyota does offer their own Dexron II & III fluid and here's what it looks like: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/gtatf2.jpg Naturally, Toyota/Lexus do not want

any Dexron fluid used in their transmissions that require Type T-IV either.

Yeah Valvoline says their Maxlife is good for all these uses, but the oil companies can't be fully trusted. Consider the fiasco Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90 gear lubricant has been. Mobil claimed it "eases shifting effort in manual transmissions" when in fact makes gears clash and makes shifting (in Toyotas) becomes miserably notchy.

Monarch,

I just PM'd you about this and various topics :lol:

It's funny you say these things...because the Lexus dealer in KC use the T-IV fluid in all the older LS's (Dex II or III original fluids).

I'm confused :blink:

I see:

the newest T-IV fluid is OK with any application using T or T-II...........

But not for replacing any application using standard Dex II or III (hence, not for use in the PS system...)

Monarch - THANK YOU!!!

nelson,

Take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealership and have them flush and fill it with the proper fluid. Assuming that it was the wrong fluid initially, take the bill for the most recent service to the place that supposedly used the wrong fluid. Ask them to reimburse you the cost of what you paid them or the cost of what you paid to have it flushed proeprly. If they refuse......take them to small claims court.

steviej

Replaced the fluid yesterday with Autozone Dexron III rated ATF, which was immediately available, and I haven't heard any noise since. B) Next I'm going to flush and refill with some Toyota Dexron III fluid.

So I must have been a victim of lube center cheap fluid syndrome. Steviej, I should take your sage advice and hold Grease Monkey accountable.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your help.

:cheers:

Great news nelson!!!

I've found that the new, fresh fluid even helps clean the "dipstick" cap; so it's helping. :D

I plan of another flush too....let me know about the Toyota Dex III (color) and how it feels in comparison.

Glad all is well - good job!!