Hello fellow NX owners...new to the forum after recent (happy) purchase,

I could probably find this in the phone book they call a manual but thought I'd check here first. Does anyone know how to keep the NX from displaying and/or reading out incoming texts? Mine pops up on the screen whenever I receive one and I really don't want passengers seeing who is texting me.

Also...I have the executive package which comes with "auto-leveling" headlamps...doesn't appear they move or swivel in any way. Is that the same as auto high beams? If so, why put an extra description in the package contents...seems misleading.

And finally...are my headrests supposed to be adjustable? If so I don't see how.

Sorry for throwing so many questions into one post...

answered a lot of my own questions just by fiddling...I believe I've dealt with the text issue...headrests do not adjust but it's not a big deal. No idea if those "auto leveling headlights" move still...

experiencing what sounds like fan noise from a blowing air conditioner in the cabin, even when the cooling system is shut off. To me, it sounds like it's coming from the back seat but when I check back there I can't locate it. Weird. May just be an engine noise I'm hearing in the cabin.

you are 100 % correct and I feel like a total idiot...thanks! Figured it out about 5 mins ago before I read your reply. Very happy to be onboard btw.

Any insights on that headlight question Denny?

Also...I have the executive package which comes with "auto-leveling" headlamps...doesn't appear they move or swivel in any way. Is that the same as auto high beams? If so, why put an extra description in the package contents...seems misleading.

Unlike early auto-leveling headlamps on Toyota/Lexus vehicles, the more recent LED headlamps do not visibly move up and down during an initialization procedure when the engine is started. Our Prius has auto-leveling LED headlights and I have never been able to see them move at startup - I've tried. Auto-leveling does not mean "adaptive" - i.e. the headlights do not auto-level while you are driving.

If you have auto high beams, then you have a forward facing camera near the interior rear view mirror. The camera senses the headlights of oncoming vehicles and the tail lights of vehicles you are following. It is remarkable how well this system works to keep the high beam headlights on as much as possible without blinding or irritating other drivers.

Your owners, navigation and maintenance manuals can be viewed and searched in the owners section of www.lexus.com. It is not necessary to register in order to see the manuals.

Two previous ES 350's I've owned, and a Volvo 2007 - S80, have all had self leveling head lights, as well as the left to right head lamp turn tracking. It is my understanding that the corner following head lamps really didn't help much and I don't miss them at all.

The head rest should be adjusted by a small, rectangular button located at the base of the headrest post, where it goes into the seat back. Press the button inward and you should be able to adjust the height of the head rest.

Paul

This may sound terrible but I really don't pay much attention to the headlights. So many city lights where I drive that they don't do much except impress other drivers with their dazzling LED lights. I drove with T-5's in the past so anything is better for me.

Don't know if my car has auto high beams but I certainly hope not. I'd still like to have something to do while I'm driving. All this automatic stuff makes it boring sometimes.

This may sound terrible but I really don't pay much attention to the headlights. So many city lights where I drive that they don't do much except impress other drivers with their dazzling LED lights. I drove with T-5's in the past so anything is better for me.

Even Toyota Corollas have LED headlights these days - they are no longer just on expensive cars.

Don't know if my car has auto high beams but I certainly hope not. I'd still like to have something to do while I'm driving. All this automatic stuff makes it boring sometimes.

I'll bet you would love auto high beams if you had them. One of nicest aspects of the Toyota auto high beam system is how it can keep the high beams on as much as possible - even on divided highways when it is hard to judge if your headlights are blinding or even just irritating oncoming drivers. I don't know how it can be so precise.

Toyota is pushing auto high beams and other safety features formerly available only on the LS460L/LS600hL further and further down their product line and has already committed to making safety features like automatic collision avoidance braking available in all models no matter how inexpensive within the next three years.

• 1 month later...

answered a lot of my own questions just by fiddling...I believe I've dealt with the text issue...headrests do not adjust but it's not a big deal. No idea if those "auto leveling headlights" move still...

experiencing what sounds like fan noise from a blowing air conditioner in the cabin, even when the cooling system is shut off. To me, it sounds like it's coming from the back seat but when I check back there I can't locate it. Weird. May just be an engine noise I'm hearing in the cabin.

Hi folks.

I'm obviously way behind on this posting, but I wanted to just make a point regarding the cabin fan noise.

I used to have a 2007 S80 Volvo. It had the heat/cool front seats (which are becoming almost standard equipment on many USA models. ) The cool setting brought on a whooshing sound of air blowing. The seats when set on cool, could actually get so cold you'd want to turn on the heat function to warm up! When sitting in the drivers seat, while turning your head to the rear or front portions of the cabin, it would sound like it was coming from the rear when turning your head to the left, and in the front passenger seat if no one is sitting in it.

Our current two Lexus have the heat/cool feature, but the cool function is worthless. Every Lexus I've owned has had the worst front seat cool feature and none of them helped at all. I have had some of the cars in for diagnosis, but they always come back with the "functioning to specifications."

Paul

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2015 at 10:33 AM, Uechiman said:

That sound that's coming from the back of the seat could be the fan for the seat cooling or heating feature.

• 11 months later...
On 8/11/2015 at 10:33 AM, Uechiman said:

answered a lot of my own questions just by fiddling...I believe I've dealt with the text issue.

Mind letting me know how you did that? (would save me a bit of time) - thanks very much ;-)

21 hours ago, malibyte said:

Mind letting me know how you did that? (would save me a bit of time) - thanks very much ;-)

One way is to turn off Message Access on your phone in the Bluetooth settings for the specific vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 11:48 AM, 1990LS400 said:

One way is to turn off Message Access on your phone in the Bluetooth settings for the specific vehicle.

Thanks, will do that - makes sense.