Automatic Door Locks

hitchman

I just aquired (company car) a 2002 LS430. I love everything about the car except the auto door lock feature. If I want the doors locked I'll lock them myself. Is there any way to remove this feature? The owners manual says the dealer can change it to lock them at 12 mph but does not mention removing the feature entirely.

Yes --dealer can reprogram

They're called the CBEST codes......

My wife's 02 Sequoia has the locks come on at 15 mph or when put it in reverse.

Worse thing about the LS is the AUTO RE-LOCK ; 30 or 60 secs after using remote to unlock car - it locks back up!!!

Don't leave you keys in there by mistake ;) That's why the have the wallet key...keep it handy!!!

Hey 99,

Are you saying that our 99 and 00 LS's can be programmed via CBES to lock the doors at 15 mph or when the transmission is put into reverse like your wife's Sequoia?

I'd love to have this feature we sometimes forget to lock the doors when driving. Are the number of "open the door and drag the driver out" car jackings down in the KC area or do they no longer make the news?

Do you know what type of "hand held" device is used to change the settings and how it is used. There are several CBES settings I'd like to change. I don't see anything about CBES in the shop manuals unless it is in the electrical manual which I don't have.

I thought about asking the dealer about CBES when my LS was in for the climate control replacement (still under warranty) last Wednesday. But I was mainly glad just to get my car back in one piece considering that the front cup holder would no longer come out of its hiding place after they were done and they didn't bother to keep/restore the 18 radio button settings like Ben Bennett always remembers to do.

- Jim

This doesn't help you, but FYI-

Back in the early 90's I had a turbocharged Eclipse. One thing I liked about it was the automatic seat belt. I know a lot of people don't like them, but it worked great for me. Even back then, the fine in Houston for no seat belt was $200-my boss got caught once. No problem with auto belts.

Anyway, along comes General Motors, who petitioned the National Transportation Safety Board to not have to install auto belts. They admitted that they couldn't put them in because it cost GM about $400 per car, while the Japanese did it for half that. GM bargained, and won, by saying the auto-lock feature was equal to the auto seat belts. So there you are-The infernal doors locking because GM was too inefficient. Of course, the Japanese had to follow suit. Thank you, Detroit.

Hey 99,

Are you saying that our 99 and 00 LS's can be programmed via CBES to lock the doors at 15 mph or when the transmission is put into reverse like your wife's Sequoia?

Jim,

From the document I have, all I see is that the car will:

Unlock doors when car is put in PARK with engine on idle - the default setting is OFF.

I'm not really sure how accurate my info is...I sent you a copy via email :D

Did you know if you press and hold the unlock button on the transmitter - all the window AND the sunroof will open up!!! Pretty cool B)

One other thought-and I'd like to be proved wrong.

Since the auto-lock system is part of the overall government approved safety package for cars, I'm wondering if it can actually be over-ridden. I hope it can-when I rent a car, I always try and rent a car without the auto-locks. Drives me nuts.

One other thought-and I'd like to be proved wrong.

Since the auto-lock system is part of the overall government approved safety package for cars, I'm wondering if it can actually be over-ridden. I hope it can-when I rent a car, I always try and rent a car without the auto-locks. Drives me nuts.

Fredd,

Gosh...I would hope they could be overridden......Should be, IMHO... B)

On the auto seat belt, I almost got a ticket BECAUSE OF THAT FEATURE! I borrowed my neighbors van and it had the auto shoulder belt. Because of this, I forgot to latch the lap belt since I thought it was automatic. My luck, I got pulled over that day and the cop was all over me about it....He just gave a warning - thank goodness. So much for borrowing a neighbors car <_<

Thanks for the e-mail with the CBES settings. I guess we'll have to continue pressing the lock button. No big deal but the autolock feature at 15 mph sounded nice.

Yes, I accidently found out that pressing the unlock button too long causes all the windows and to sunroof open. Unfortunately, it was raining (but gently) when I found out!

The CBES setting I want to change most is to lengthen the delay time for the interior light dimming from 15 to 30 seconds. By the time everyone has their seat belt on and I've put the phone in the cradle, the lights have already gone off.

Thanks,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

1990 & 99, The door locks can be set to lock when the shifter is placed in drive and then unlock when it is placed in park, or one or the other. The default is no autolock on the 98-00 LS. You can also turn off the auto relock, this did make me lock my keys in the trunk on the day before Christmas. My fiancee had to drive an hour to come save me (only 7-8 miles but Christmas traffic) because I couldnt even get into the roadside assistance number. Terrible "feature"!

1990- They can also change the lighting delay. You'll also find that if you hold the key in the lock cylendar turned towards lock it will close all the windows back up ;)

I really do not consider it a concern, since I have no need to open the door when the car is moving.

The "auto-lock" feature would not bother me if it was on my 90 LS400. I too wish that it was on my 90 LS400. I usually lock them myself if I am driving in the downtown areas. I am used to them anyway, as my 1992 Buick Park Avenue has auto-lock feature. It locks when the car is shifted out of Park and unlocks when it is shifted back into park. Buick added this in 1991. One would think that if Buick had this in 1991, that Lexus would have it at least by 1993 or 1994.

My mothers 1998 Oldsmobile is a little different. It locks when the car is shifted out of park, but rather than unlocking when shifted back into park, it unlocks when the ignition is turned off. Now my old 94 Chevrolet Lumina was a different story. It was unpleasant. The doors would lock as normal, when it was shifted out of park. The bad thing is that it would NOT UNLOCK itself when the car was shifted back into park or turned off. On the Luminas before 1995- you had to unlock the door yourself, which was a hassle. This feature caused me to lock my keys in one time. I was backing up with the door open in the driveway and it closed enough to lock the door, but did not latch. When I got out, it did not unlock itself and I shut the door with the key in. :rolleyes:

Not to get carried away about passive restraint systems but........

In reply to the comment about the automatic seat belts on the 1990 GM cars- GM- like all other car makes, had to have some sort of auto restraint system beginning in late 1989. Some cars had airbags, some had motorized shoulder belts with heavily padded lower dash panels, and some had the door mounted 3-point seat belts. GM went with this feature in 1990 on some of its models, while the other GM models had airbags in 1990. GM added the door mounted belt even a year before it was required I think. This was the seat belt used on the 1990-1994 Lumina and the 1989-1990 Beretta. Beginning in 1991, the Beretta added airbag and switched to manual shoulder belts. Honda added motorized belts, like the 87-91 Camry's had until 1992, when Accord and Camry added driverside airbag, but Honda even had it in 1991, but only on the stationwagon. The Toyota Celica had airbag for 1990. I guess most car companies just picked the most affordable, or most efficient restraint system to that particular body style. If the design was all new for 1990- then the car typically had the airbag restraint. If it was a new for late 80s and it was the same for 1990- they typically just added motorized belts or door mounted belts. The Lexus and Lincoln Town Car are good examples of this, but the exception is Cadillac Sedan DeVille, as it also had airbag for 1990, but that body style began in 1985. Another is the Accord- which was all new for 1990, but no airbag until 1991. Another is the Nissan 300Z. NO airbag until the optional airbag until 1991. Acura added a optional driver airbag beginning in 1989- standard for 1990. The Honda Prelude went with the typical GM design and added door mounted belts on the 1988 Honda Prelude- 2 years before passive restraints were required. Most all other foreign makes went with either the airbag or motirized belts and some even kept the motorized belts as well as a airbag for a while- such as the 92-94 Nissan Maxima and 94-95 Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager- which had both. The Infiniti Q45 had standard airbag for 1990, but the 1990 Mazda 929 had motorized belts, until the 1992 redesign when it added airbags. As far as rear shoulder belts are concerned- I think it was required on all cars sold in USA beginning in 1989. Center mounted high stop lights were required beginning in 1986.

One interesting note- MOTORIZED shoulder belts were first seen on the 1981 Toyota Cressida (Toyotas TOP of the line car before Lexus - I guess you could call it the Avalon of the late 70s thru early 90s). My old (now my grandpa's) 81 Cressida has motorized shoulder belts, with a very heavily padded lower instrument panel (knee bolsters)- also interesting to note that it also has rear shoulder belts, as well as rear head restraints and it is a 1981 model. Airbags (dual) were first offered on full-size GM cars in the early and mid 70s. It was optional on the 1973 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice (perhaps also on full-size Pontiac Oldsmobile, Buick & Cadillac as well) and only on the 1974-1976 Oldsmobile 88, 98, Toronado / Buick LeSabre, Electra, Riviera & Cadillac Sedan DeVille, Coupe DeVille and Eldorado hardtop coupe. Only 10000 were ordered and it was discontinued for the 1977 downsize. My grandmothers old 74 Oldsmobile had airbags. Very interesting. Airbags re-appeared in 1984, as a option on Mercedes 190E, 190D, 300SD, 380SE & 500SEL and was optional in 1985, before becoming standard in 1986. Passenger side airbag was added on the S-Class sedans in 1989. They had optional rear head restraints on some S-Class models for 1984 (perhaps earlier). Lincoln promoted passenger side airbag as standard on the 1990-1991 Town Cars, but a shortage kept them out of some 1990-1991 models, but it was a high $$$ option. Its very interesting, but even Ford offered an optional driverside airbag on the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz beginning in 1986, but few were ordered and it was optional all the way through the life of these cars, which I think was 1994.

Trucks and SUV's had later dates to all of these requirements. I think the very first airbag to be placed in a USA sold truck was the 1994 Ford F-150 and Toyota T-100 and Dodge Ram 1500. Chevrolet did not add a driver airbag until 1995. Dual airbags appeared in the big Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge trucks in 1997. Perhaps in all trucks by then.

Interesting that some cars did not even have airbags at all until 1995- such as the Chevrolet Lumina and VW Jetta and the small Japanese trucks and SUV's.

Going as far back as the 50s- padded dash was first offered in 1949 or 50. I forget what car it was offered on. Shoulder belts were made standard beginning in 1968, as well as energy absorbing instrument panels (padded dash), energy absorbing steering columns and wheels, as well as side marker lights.

Ford had a "Safe-T-Gaurd" package in 1956, which consisted of a padded dash and lap belts. Most cars offered a padded dash option by 1958 (usually a $15 option :D ). It was standard on most upscale cars by 1958 (Cadillac, Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial).

4-wheel disc brakes was first offered on the late 60s GM midsized cars ( I think).

Anti-lock brakes was first offered on the early 70s Lincolns and the 71' Cadillacs.

How do I know all of this? I used to be (guess I still am) auto safety fanatic.... ;)

WOW.... long post...... I did not mean to get that carried away with auto safety.

:D

Nice read, dude. You have sure gained a wealth of knowledge over the years. All good stuff to know. I have always liked that Cresida -- I was very disappointed when they canned it.

Now back to door locks... :D

What would be required to get my 91 to lock when I put it in drive?

I am thinking I could run a wire from the door lock switch to the shifter and tie it into that light switch that comes on when the thing hits "P". That is what I think, but electrical is not my forte.

Linux is. :whistles:

You have sure gained a wealth of knowledge over the years. All good stuff to know. I have always liked that Cresida -- I was very disappointed when they canned it.

Yes, it seems I have always been facinated with auto safety features. Glad someone took the time to read it. Most people see a long post and ignore it.

I agree about the Cressida. 1992 was the last year for it. It was re-introduced in 1995 as you know, but it also had a new name- "Avalon".

I think that 1977 or 78' was the first year for the Cressida in the USA. Before that was the very unique Toyota Crown. I have only seen very few here in the USA for sale on the internet, but I have NEVER seen one in person. The Cressida was redesigned in 1981 and was very Mercedes like. Very high quality (most all interior panels are padded) and is a very solid car. Even at 175K, my old Cressida was still 100% rattle and squeak free. The fuel injected 2.8L inline 6-cylinder was also suprisingly very powerful. The only bad thing about them, is that the valve seals fail early, as well as head gaskets, but they still run smooth as silk- even with blown head gaskets (for a while). Mine did. :D

Not sure about the automatic locks. I have no idea when it comes to "high tech" electrical questions. :blink:

Thank you for your very detailed history of seat restraints, air bags and auto locks, 90LS400Lexus. I've learned a lot.

Please keep in mind, however, that most major safety modifications and added safety improvements to our cars by the mfrs. seem to be dictated by government requirements-not by the mfrs. Sad to say, but very recent consumer tests show that side air bags front and rear help save lives-But they save mostly wealthier lives, since full side air bags are a costly "add-on".

But at least your doors will be locked when you are broadsided.....

But they save mostly wealthier lives, since full side air bags are a costly "add-on".

Well, that goes same for everything. The front airbags were the same when they came out. Thats just part of marketing, pentrating pricing. The new stuff is just high priced when it first comes out. :angry:

Thank you for your very detailed history of seat restraints, air bags and auto locks, 90LS400Lexus.  I've learned a lot.

Please keep in mind, however, that most major safety modifications and added safety improvements to our cars by the mfrs. seem to be dictated by government requirements-not by the mfrs.  Sad to say, but very recent consumer tests show that side air bags front and rear help save lives-But they save mostly wealthier lives, since full side air bags are a costly "add-on". 

But at least your doors will be locked when you are broadsided.....

You're welcome. I agree 100% about the mfrs. doing what the government says. The government was the one that said that cars must have the safety items I mentioned in 1968. General Motors was a little ahead of that, because they had some of these items (energy absorbing steering column and instrument panel) on their cars as standard in 1967- one year before it was required. If I am not mistaken- according to Mercedes, they was the developer of the collaspable steering column, but I think Volvo also stated that once, but I may be wrong. They may have said that they was the developer of the safety cage or crush zones. Not sure. Mercedes and Volvo both seem to claim that they developed these features. I guess everyone knows that one of the most recent governments requirements was the side impact standard on 1997 model year cars. Some cars (as early as the early 90s) claimed that their cars already met the standard, because they knew that their cars would have to meet the standards for the 97' model year.

• 4 months later...
  • 19 years later...

I have a 2000 Lexus LS 400 and wanted to know If automatic door locks can be installed on the car? The car didn't come with automatic door locks, but I want to get them installed. Thank you for your time and attention. Have a nice day.