Problem With Passenger Air Bags

RX400h 2007

Even when a passenger is sitting in the passenger seat, the Air Bag Off light is lit. Also the Air Bag light on the dashboard is lit. I assume that means the air bag would not work in an emergency. Is there a way to clear the error somehow to determine whether there is really a problem? Any suggestions.

I know in my pickup there is an off switch which requires the key to shut off but never seen that in any passenger car. If the passenger is a child they might not weigh enough to activate the sensor. I do know that I have placed a lot of heavy groceries and stuff on my passenger seat and it stays off which kind of surprized me. If the passenger is an adult then you should have your computer connected to an advanced OBD2 reader to determine the problem. The advanced (and expensive) units can read the airbag sensors and mnay other things that regular (cheaper) OBD2 readers won't read.

You are very correct in being concerned. Not sure if Autozone or Advance readers will do it but you can ask. They are generally very knowledgable and also helpful. Something that seems to be a rare commodity today.

Do it soon and drive carefully in the meantime.

Denny

Not sounds expensive, IS expensive. I believe the OBD computer reader to reset sells for a little over $200 on Amazon. I borrow my friends when I need details for brakes, air bags and stuff like that. I will probably buy one at some point because I hate paying them to plug in theirs.

I have a very basic model which does not include air bag errors. Lexus dealers around here in NY can get away with charging for every little thing. I should have tried my local garage.