'94 Ls400 Drifts To The Right Even After Alignment

TexasLS

I bought a 1994 LS400 last week with 47,000 miles and it pulls to the right when driving fast or slow. I have done an alignment and nothing changed. Also, I found out from a Lexus dealership that the previous owner brought the car in for an alignment 1 month before they sold the car.....yes, it sounds suspicious.

The tires seem fine and the air pressure has been checked. The next thing I'm going to do is check the balance of the tires.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-Reid

sounds to me like a front suspension piece (pieces) are outta wack... <_<

the previous owner could have hit a curb or something of that nature really hard and knocked all kinds of hardware out of place. its definately something like that if its spending that kinda time in the alignment shop

good luck

Frame? :o

I hope I am wrong, but that is what came to my mind at first. Have you done a check of the title to see if the vehicle was in an accident? The frame more than likely could be bent.

If you have done alignment, changed and checked the tires and stuff then that might be what ails your vehicle. I hope not however.

It could be a belt in one of your tires that has shifted. I had the same thing happen a couple of times. If you rotate the tires left to right, the pull should change to the other side. If the pull changes it is just a matter of finding which tire on that side.

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Frame? Carfax report is fine. No accidents. Clear title.

What is the best way of finding out if it is a suspension issue or caliper issue? Is there a easy (possibly visual) way to find out?

If it is a suspension issue, what kind of $$ am I looking at to fix it?

-Reid

def not frame or stuck caliper but might be a tire problem, either a bad tire or a difference in the pressure. LS is very sensitive to tires and pressure.

I have the EXACT same problem with my 1992 Buick Park Avenue. It was pulling to the right and I was told by the shop that it needed new tie-rod ends. It also had a clunking sound. Had them install the tie rod ends, re-align the car and although the sound was gone, it still was pulling to the right. I had new tires put on it and it still pulls slightly to the right on the highway. I was going to take it back, but never got around to it. It has been 3 months now and they probably would not do anything about it now. I know that my car has never been wrecked (100% sure) and I know it is not the brakes, as I recently put new brake pads on it and they are wearing evenly. It is very annoying I know.

Luckily, my Lexus tracks straight and perfectly, but the vibration is still driving me crazy. I guess I will get the practically new tires with 6K miles on them to see if that is what it is.

Sorry could not be more help.

Perhaps your car was wrecked? Does the paint look original? Did you run a carfax before you bought it?

There is also the possibility that the steering rack is causing the pull. The center valve can leak to one side causing a constant assist. When the front tires are on the alignment turntables, the engine should be started. If the wheels begin a slow movement to one side, you have found the problem.