So I Hear That These Cars Can't Be Modded?

I have been listening to dull roars on other boards about how awesome the Supra is. I have been around the 2JZ engines quite a bit, and realize that they have been doing conversions on the SC 300's, but what about the black sheep SC 400?

I happen to love the idea of having a high hp v8 import. In fact I like the idea so much that I am considering buying one to see what it is made of, but so far I have run into nothing but hang ups.....alot of them.

1st: No manual, not a big deal just swap in a Getrag 6-speed and move on, or is it?

2nd no mods?

When I ask if there are any mods out there, all I seem to get is a half cocked response like....you really ought to just put the Supra Motor in it. Well I am not one to conform, and this just doens't suit me. I know that little 4.0 has alot of potential, and it makes me wonder why no one else sees it? Are there any ways to chip or tune the PCM? Is there headers? How about stuff like new cams or possibly forced induction? I am not familiar with the engine block, but I would wager it isn't that much different than that of the 4.3 liter in the 430. Also makes me wonder if anyone has ever done a stroker kit, or maybe upped the compression, ported and polished the heads, or bored out the walls to raise the displacement. I just can't believe there isn't more out there, but then again this is a Lexus not a Mustang or a Camaro that we are talking about. I guess the demand for products like that just isn't there.

So what do ya'll think? Am I missing some oasis of SC 400 knowledge or have I found the pinical?

Don't everyone reply at once. J/k Just was checking to see if there was any progress.

Whoops I thought that I had clicked on the right one, oh well. Got way to many things on my mind. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the links I will pour over them for few and see if I can be satisfied. I love the looks of this car, and from what I can gather about the chasis, it has the potential to be a great handler with a coil over set up. But what really gets my blood moving is the sound the V8 makes at high rpms.

yea it does sound gooooood :lol: well if you are willing to do the kind of work that you talk about then well i also like the idea of the v8, 6speed, and stroked or forced air (or both :D ) as far as i know companies in japan make by order cams, and a stroker kit and a couple of companies make blower kits.

I beleive you are right. Lexstream, and Planet Soarer seem to be two sites where I can get any and all info about this little project answered. I was just so amazed when I was told that the SC-400 is not a desireable car to mod, that is like telling me that a Supra is is not capable of more than 300 hp, or that an 03 Cobra is a slow peice of junk. That is why I had to come to the people who know the answers, and here I am. Anyway, I imagine that if I really needed a new set soon i could get comp to make me some custom ones, or better yet my buddy works for a world renowned engine builder and I am sure they could work something out on the CNC mil. My biggest concern with this project is going to be the computer, so until I see some auto tap programs, or edit programs for a laptop I guess going to a stand alone is going to be the only option.

If you have the resources - 1uz-fe stroked Twin Turbo - twin t3/to4's or the like - maybe a single 63 or something - + motec/felpro standalone (SDS, haltech, pick your poison) - full jgtc air ride - blazin 18's.

Yea - you can't mod these cars. They are just not good for that. :lol:

You can do anything you want to anything you want. Money and skill...

that's about it.

It is possible to hardwire around almost anything if you know what you are doing. That's the problem though - I wouldn't have the first (well maybe the first) clue about where to begin. There are speedo and gear issues to resolve when converting something like that. It will not be cheap. I'd rather keep the auto and tweak it with a torque converter, cooler and valve body/line pressure job.

"When I ask if there are any mods out there, all I seem to get is a half cocked response like....you really ought to just put the Supra Motor in it. Well I am not one to conform, and this just doens't suit me. "

As the saying goes "suit yourself". Ok, imho, you are going to do one hell of alot of work and spend one heck of a lot of money doing what you describe. Then you are going to feel like absolute crap when one of the "conformists" with a 2jz-gte swap having done some realitively easy mods blows your your flippin doors right off. It takes not that much to get these engines into the 400's at crank, but drastically higher numbers are possible.

You can be the first, but you are very unlikely to even stay close to a bpu 2jz-gte and you may spend much, much more time and money for your efforts.

ok, your reward is being original, but you will not have a quicker car to show for it.

Better torque off the line, faster spool if you go turbo, or constant boost with supercharger(which isnt available to the 2jz[not a real super anyways]). I dont think you would want to go BPU with the 1UZ anyways. If you do the 8 it has to be all the way, top of the line. If i had the cash, i would do the 8 or 1jz instead of the 2jz since everyone and their mom has done the 2jz