90,000 Mile Service Costs

LMS Teacher

My 2006 LS430 has 90,000 miles and I know that it will need the following maintenance done:

a. Timing belt and tensioners

b. Water pump (Done while doing the timing belt)

c. Spark plugs

d. Brakes (probably needs pads/new rotors/fluids changed)

Everything is original issue from the factory, including the brakes. I plan to take it to a Lexus dealer, and am asking if anyone has had the following done by a Lexus dealer and what did it cost?

My local mechanic just replaced the timing belt, water pump, belt tensioners, spark plugs as well as flush and refill with Toyota antifreeze (I bought the antifreeze) on my '04 LS430. Bill came to $850. He is an excellent mechanic who I use when I am too lazy to wrench turn myself.

I would imagine the dealer would quadruple this bill.

Just had it completed yesterday 7/22/15. My quote from local lexus dealer for my 2004 LS430 luxury package 90K service and new brakes front and rear plus tax was over $2200 plus extras. Had it done by my local mechanic shop for $1800 which included front & rear brake pads and rotors, drain & replace radiator coolant, cabin air filter, engine air filter, brake fluid drain & replace, oil & filter replace, and serpentine belt ($35) & idler pulley replace (Toyota parts & all OEM or better). Timing belt replace cost $370 for timing belt kit which includes timing belt, waterpump & gasket, belt tensioners & idler pulley (Toyota parts & all OEM or better) & 5.0 hours labor at $500. Transmission and rear differential fluids were perfect and not touched. I got and inspected all parts and found visible wear on the serpentine belt only. The brake pads were 80% worn rear and front 5/32"or better. The timing belt and waterpump bearing and gasket and all pulleys looked pristine. The cabin air filter was badly impacted with black dirt & engine air filter was OK. The rotors looked pristine. I got tire rotation and interior detailing gratis. My mechanic is in his early 40s and has over14 years with this shop.

LMS, I would guess the timing belt/tensioner/water pump to be in the $1500 range.

Then the spark plugs probably $400. Then the brakes, $800.

So, what, $2700?

However, and this is a BIGGY...you get free coffee! Totally worth it. :whistles:

I live in St. Louis and recently had the 90k mile service done on my 04 LS430. The dealer estimate is in the $1200 range. I have a family mechanic that is very good and he performed the service for just over $1000.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the timing belt, water pump, plugs and serpentine belt changed about 6 months ago on my 2005 LS430. I had around 110k miles on it at the time of the work. I had them keep my timing belt so I could see it and it didn't have any cracks or signs of deterioration at all. They replaced all the coolant obviously and it came to around $ 900.00. The biggest surprise is I had it done at the local Toyota Dealership. The closest Lexus dealer is 60 miles away. I was shocked at the price when he quoted me but he said they were having a special on the job. They even provided me a rental car for the day. Good timing I guess(pun intended!)

Lexus quoted met $2200 for timing belt job alone.

I have my private all Toyota mechanic do it for ~$900 ALWAYS using oem parts.

If you use a private mechanic get the OEM spark plugs. They're expensive but worth every penny.

If your doing brakes I strongly suggest puting on braided stainless steel lines at all four coners. Brake pedal modulation is MUCH improved!

If you're going to ake your car to the dealer forall this work..... will you be my uncle? Pweese, PWEESE!

• 2 weeks later...

To me just How Labor (Repair Time) is assigned by a mechanic or Service Writer from the BOOK is not an exactly honest and true computation.

For instance, Front End work: Replace both left and Right Front Control Arms - Shop time they assigned is 3.8 hours.

Both the Sway Bars and Torsion Bar HAS to be removed in order to replace the Control Arms. Which 3.8 hours covers more than the time to complete.

Just because the Book assigns 2 hours for the replacing the Sway Bars and Torsion Bar is a 2 hour job, why are they adding it to labor cost?

You get to charge 5.8 hours for something that takes any mechanic less than 3.8 hours to complete, thus over billing the customer 65%.

I don't know what other people call that, I call it plane old simple "fraud".

No wonder Pep Boys and other non-Dealership repair shops say bring the estimate to us, and we will beat it. They massage the hours assigned and of courses the Price/hour labor rate.

Does anyone have any experience with same example or similar?

This is the "Information Age" now. I hope with the internet and clubs like ours can make a difference it helping make this good ole U S of A a less corrupt place to do business.

Is there any way of UBER' izing how we get car work done and save some more money to bye our babies a new pair of shoes?

Researcher883

Thanks for all your help in sharing cost-time-diagnosing online here.

Had mine done at a Toyota dealership. Missed the coffee but sure enjoyed the much smaller tab. In my opinion, Lexus should install dry cleaning services at their dealerships because that is what it feels like when I go there. As a former teacher I leaned not to go there.

denny

• Like 1

2006 LEXUS LS 430: Since my Lexus repairs were contingent on buying the car, I prevailed and only have to pay $500 towards the repair: Both Front Lower Left and Right Control Arms, Both Sway Bars and the Torsion Bar.

Hurray.

I hope after that there will be no more bushings or other noises/problems with the Front End. Knock on Wood.

Lexus LS430's are such a pleasure to drive. They are the ultimate travel vehicle on the planet for under $80,000 new. Heck I bet they have a better than a Rolls Royce.