Help! New Sc430 Owner...

landar

Kind of on a whim, I bought a 2004 SC430. Some of you may know that I am an LS kind of guy with my LS400 and LS430. But I just could not resist this Absolute Red roadster.

I bought it off of a retired doctor who bought it new and has only put 12,500 miles on it. So, it is pretty much like brand new. I bought it, drove it home and parked it in my garage. Now I am feeling like I rushed into it and second guessing my decision.

Should I keep it and drive it? Or sell it and keep the LS? Don't you wish your 'problems' were all like this? ^_^ (ps...yes, Jim...I need ANOTHER intervention!).

• Like 1

Randy, you rascal! OK, I'll do you a favor. I take your "new" SC430 off your hands and give you 50% of what you gave for it. OK ... 51%.

Oh, the color is "Arrest Me Red".

I swore I would never have another convertible unless I moved to the Left Coast.

This is our first convertible. I was thinking of getting a Miata with retractable hardtop but thought the SC430 was just a better built machine. Safer too.

I now have the unenviable task of trying to sell my 02 LS430 which I absolutely love. Even with low miles(now 69k) and excellent shape, no one in the local area will be interested and I will have a tough sell ahead.

One of my standard spiels is to tell people that they need to own at least one convertible during their lives and that it might as well be red. My first car and first convertible was a red 1964 Triumph Spitfire convertible. OK ... calling a Spitfire a car might be a stretch - "Spitfire" should have been spelled with an "h" instead of an "p".

The SC430's retractable top addresses most of the issues I had with convertibles - wind noise at highway speeds, water leaks, theft of anything left in the interior, use on very cold and very hot days, damage from bird droppings and falling limbs ...

Are we sure that this SC430 isn't just a figment of your imagination? Pictures or it didn't happen!

• Like 1

Well this sure is lively board! ^_^

I am not crazy about the 'pie plate' rims on my SC, so I found some 2010 SC430 rims with almost new Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires for only $500. Score.

WOW, that is nice and an incredible find. Do you still have that older LS400 that you bought during a previous manic episode? If you do, why not sell it and keep the LS430?

Maybe you'll come to like "pie".

I sold the LS400 to my son and he is driving it. Yes, I have already warmed up to the 'pie' plate wheels...kinda reminds me of the older Porsche roadsters from the 50's. I will definitely keep them even if I do use the newer rims.

You've made a great choice! You won't regret it. I used to drive my parents LS400 back in the day and have since stayed with the Lexus band. That quick acceleration on the LS was great! I once ruled a 99 camaro with it. Anyway, the SC430 was a solid choice as my first luxury car and haven't regretted it since. The top is pretty much flawless if you keep it maintained every once in a while (ie. lube the frame and joints). The engine is really reliable, but do check if the timing belt, water pump, and gaskets have been replaced. If not, try to plan it. I have a 2002 coming up with 50k miles and I haven't done it but everyone always scares me about it. If the timing belt breaks, it can cause major catastrophic engine failure. Just a thought to keep in your head. Additionally, I would also ditch the pie plates for a much nicer wheel. Maybe 20"? I'm running 20" and it fills the fender wells soooo nice. Also, if you haven't done so already, ditch the runflats. It will totally change the ride quality. If speed is of interested, think about having the transmission pressure changed from soft to firm... there's a thread that I can link if this interests you. Anyway, congrats and welcome to the SC family!

• 2 weeks later...

I have already ditched the run flats with the Continental tires mentioned above. BIG difference. So much smoother and enjoyable. I will never put RFT back on.

Kidding me? That is certainly the best choice you could have made Randall. I had a Miata and tortured it and it took it but my wife hated it so she made me buy the IS. Of course that is even better than the Miata on the curves so... The SC must be as good or better. Drop tops are sweet but not great in the summer at lights and such. I loved driving my Miata in the winter (without snow of course) when I'd bundle up in my ski gear, crank the heater and ride around. Got a lot of looks but I was well covered so nobody could really see what idiot would drive around in a convertible at New Years when it's 23F outside.

Me.

Great choice

Denny

Denny, I am looking forward to dropping the top and tooling around in the country with fall colors on a brisk Autumn day...with the heated seats on of course! Then it goes into storage and my Tundra takes the brunt of Winter.

• 7 months later...
On 7/18/2015 at 0:41 PM, landar said:

Kind of on a whim, I bought a 2004 SC430. Some of you may know that I am an LS kind of guy with my LS400 and LS430. But I just could not resist this Absolute Red roadster.

I bought it off of a retired doctor who bought it new and has only put 12,500 miles on it. So, it is pretty much like brand new. I bought it, drove it home and parked it in my garage. Now I am feeling like I rushed into it and second guessing my decision.

Should I keep it and drive it? Or sell it and keep the LS? Don't you wish your 'problems' were all like this? ^_^ (ps...yes, Jim...I need ANOTHER intervention!).

I canned my 1999 Ls400 last September and have a absolute red SC430 here in Dallas where the top has been down more than up since last September, yea 70 last week here.

Keep yours buddy, miss the LS ride but the SC is a blast. Buttons buttons buttons.

• 3 years later...

Lexi run in the family.  Dad has 3, mu uncle has 3 and I have 2.

I learned about the 430 sc because my Mom had one.   She has passed by the 2002 has around 29 k miles in Really Red. 

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't resist responding to this older thread, as I am in a similar situation. Kind of on a whim, I just bought a 2002 SC430 from a retired gentlemen that only put 30K miles on it. I am vacillating between buyer's remorse (my pockets aren't that deep, what have I done?) and feeling as though I won a lottery. 

I towed it on a auto-transport trailer to get it home, and can't drive it until a new title arrives. So I haven't driven it more than 10 miles. 

I have had the same thoughts on the "pie plate" wheels, didn't like them very much at first but they've grown on me. 

Mine is not red, it's blue. Here's a picture. 

2002SC430_2.jpg

The pie plates are kind of cool and retro.  My 430 came with the chunky bronze wheels which are pretty ugly looking. 

I have owned around 30 vehicles in my life and have never bought a set of wheels. I  plan to put some new 5 spoke wheels on it.  Anyone have experience with Petrol, Voxx, or Motegi Racing?