Es250 Overheating/losing Coolant In Hot Weather

It's been in the 100's where I live and lately I've had to keep a close eye on my coolant levels because my ES250 has been sucking it all up and overheating.

Has anyone had this problem?

No, you have an issue on a older Lexus...first check and see if you have leaks, than possible a bad thermostat. Also check cooling fans to make sure they are working. At that point you may have a clogged radiator. we need more info from you.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the suggestions above. Usually with overheating issues I would check the following:

1. electric fans kick on as stated above?

2. Did you have any engine codes pop up before the overheating occured?

3. Does the coolant levels drop? Any coolant in the reserve tank?

4. Headgaskets might be an issue. I will check for leaks and pressure test as stated above.

5. Thermostat might have failed shut. Check the thermostat (easy to access).

6. Worst case scenerio I've seen is that the wrong coolant was used or some quick fix coolant leak solution (which is crap) which cakes up and causes the cooling efficiency to go down dramatically.

• 7 years later...
On 7/17/2015 at 3:52 PM, boredazhell20 said:

+1 for the suggestions above. Usually with overheating issues I would check the following:

1. electric fans kick on as stated above?

2. Did you have any engine codes pop up before the overheating occured?

3. Does the coolant levels drop? Any coolant in the reserve tank?

4. Headgaskets might be an issue. I will check for leaks and pressure test as stated above.

5. Thermostat might have failed shut. Check the thermostat (easy to access).

6. Worst case scenerio I've seen is that the wrong coolant was used or some quick fix coolant leak solution (which is crap) which cakes up and causes the cooling efficiency to go down dramatically.

Lexus Forum 261122 01 Lexus ES300 Overheating

Dear Lexus Forum, I have a Florida  01 Lexus ES300 , with only 95,000 miles which is losing coolant and Overheating.  It has only 95,000 miles on it.  I seldom drive it over 5 miles at a time.  For some reason it usually runs at about 1/2 on the temp gauge, while my 98 Lexus ES300 runs at 1/8 or less and never overheats.

Once in a while it has overheated, so I have added water to the radiator.  This year I have noticed I have to add water every 2 months, so I had a radiator flush done at Pep Boy's, thinking that the % of water vs anti freeze was too high, so it needed the flush with coolant replacement.  

Today, I needed to charge the battery so I left it running in the driveway for an hour. When I got back the car had overheated and lost a lot of coolant.

I wonder if I need a new water pump, or thermostat, or maybe the radiator itself has gone bad.  I don't understand  why my 98 ES300 radiator has been trouble free for 20 years, while the 01 ES300 radiator has been a chronic problem.

Thanks in advance for your advice.  JC