Check Engine Light

nkwats

My check engine light come on and car looses pwoer when I step on gas to acclerate quickly, had diagnstics done and it was said I had bad throttle positioning sensor. Sensor has been replaced and problem still exist. Help greatly apprciated, can not really drive car on interstate because it dies when I need it to accelerate.

Hi there..

I am not one of the gurus here, but I spend enough time here and read the site often enough that I can say with great correctness what the gurus most of the time will need to help decifer a problem.

Sorry to hear about your plight.

With that said, you are more apt to get better response if you get a diagonostic done and get the code or codes that the system says is being shown then post them here. The Lexus surgeons will be better able to diagnose and give good feedback on your issue.

In this case the Autozone option does apply. So if you can find a close one (hopefully avoiding the freeway) take it to them, and for free, they will diagnose your "Check Engine" code.

best to you

Yes--- yes.....

Ditto Linux & Silver,

what year is your LS, miles....

Air filter checked and clean?

Usually, down on the pedal means more fuel to the engine....so it may be "flooding" out - so to speak. So its probably running "rich"

Hi there..

I am not one of the gurus here, but I spend enough time here and read the site often enough that I can say with great correctness what the gurus most of the time will need to help decifer a problem.

Sorry to hear about your plight.

With that said, you are more apt to get better response if you get a diagonostic done and get the code or codes that the system says is being shown then post them here. The Lexus surgeons will be better able to diagnose and give good feedback on your issue.

In this case the Autozone option does apply. So if you can find a close one (hopefully avoiding the freeway) take it to them, and for free, they will diagnose your "Check Engine" code.

best to you

First let me say thanks very much for the suggestions, now back to the car, when I had the diagnostics done the gave me a code 41 or 42, I can not really remember which one, but when you translate it back, it was basically a bad throttle positioning sensor.

I took it to Autozone, but they told me that they could not check a 1994 LS400, with 145,000, because they did have the equipment to check it out. So I went to an import shop and had them run the Diagnostics and got the above codes. I had the diagnostics done before I purchased the car, oh yeah, I just got the car about 2 weeks ago and I thought from what they told me it would be a simple fix.

I will try the fuel filter, air filter and the BBGK44 today and see what happens. Thanks all, and if you have more info, please feel free to pass it on to me, because I was really starting to think about selling the car.

Mmm?

Well I think we need to find out what model years they actually do. When I went, all they told me was they only did "service engine" notifications and not if the ABS light or some other light comes on.

Anyway, so we don't end up doling out bad info, we should contact them in our specific areas and find out what model years they actually will check.

A code 41 for a 93 indicates a bad throttle position sensor CIRCUIT which includes the throttle position sensor, part of the ECM since it supplies excitation voltage for the sensor and all of the interconnecting wiring between the throttle position sensor and the ECM. This should be an easy problem to troubleshoot if you have a digital voltmeter. Your 94 might be different from the 93 but for a 93, the throttle position sensor has 4 wires connected to it. With the Ignition Switch in the Run position, the blue/red wire should have a constant +5V amd the brown wire should show a good ground connection. The yellow wire should have a voltage between 0-5V and it should change smoothly when you move the throttle linkage. The green wire should also show a good ground connection with the throttle at idle position.

Thanks for the info on the voltages and such, I got it to the mechanic and he said he will check it out and get back to me by lunch time. You guys are great, now if he can just find the problem and fix it, I can drive my car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, where I find that TP sensor?

Thanks... and some info on this would be great.

I just checked the codes in my 91 and I got a 41... which is a TP sensor.

Where do I find that electric box or whatever it is.

thanks in advance and I will let you know how it turns out.

thanks again :D