Tapping Sound, Squeaks, Etc

The only things I don't like about my 98 SC400 are the numerous squeaks and sounds. My Honda Accord was quieter in this regard. My most annoying sound occurs when I hit any bump in the road. It sounds like two pieces of plastic tapping each other. It sounds like it is coming from the bottom part of the front windshield. However, I know that many sounds resonate in the windshield. I've wanted to stick a bottle brush down into the defroster vents but I'm afraid I'd break something. I've sprayed silicone just about everywhere I can think of and I've checked all of the visors and rearview mirror. Any guesses? :wacko:

Also, is there any place besides the dealer who will work on tracking down sounds? The dealer will do it for $$$$ per hour.

Thanks for any advice.

Either this is your first Lexus or you are not the original owner. Lexus made SC to be an ultimate cruiser/GT coupe. SC was not designed for aggressive driving so it will ride softer than most sports cars but controls better than most luxury cars. Starting ’95 Lexus added even more of the padding on SC to absorb the road noise better. It is quiet compare to most cars on the road, and its’ finish is 100% Toyota. The body is rock solid and it will hold up for long time. If you are hearing squeaks of all kind you may have problem with the structure itself. I have been around body repair all of my young life because our family owned a shop. No matter how much quality time spent fixing the body, it will never be the same. If you are hearing thumping when bottomed, you may have missing rubber pad, and squeaks are probably from front end damage that was not correctly fixed/aligned during the bodywork. It depends on the damage, but if its structure misalignment; it may not worth the cost to make an attempt to fix the problem. Best bet is to take it to a shop with body alignment machine and have then do a laser check on the structure, if it aligns close to the factory specification, it may just need re torqueing.

Thanks for the reply. I am new to Lexus. Just got this Lexus certified car in October. According to the very detailed records, this car has never been in any kind of accident. I think you are implying that I shouldn't tolerate the squeaks and rattles!?

The noise that is most annoying to me is a "plastic on plastic" tapping sound, one tap each time I hit a bump, that can be heard in the front windshield. I've greased everything I can think of and wonder if the sound isn't coming up from the air vents for the defroster.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll call a few high end body shops.