2002 Ls430 Key Transponder And Remote Programming Success!

BogeyJH

I purchased a new key shell and a used electronic remote head transmitter (key fob) on ebay for my 2002 LS, I had the key cut locally, copying my existing key.

Long story short, I returned the remote because the transponder would not pair with my car using any online instructions or the locksmith's programmer. No good if you can't get past security. Good thing I verified that it could be returned if it didn't work.

Before returning it, I noted that the remote electronics unit didn't have the same number imprinted on it as my existing remote (50111). I bought a second key fob on ebay after verifying it had the same remote identification number. To my great relief, I successfully programmed the transponder and remote function (lock, unlock, open trunk) using the following procedures:

Transponder Programming

You have 35 seconds to complete steps 1-5 and 10 seconds to complete step 6. If not performed quickly enough, the car will not go into programming mode and the key transponder will not pair with your car.

1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
  3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
  4. Open and close the driver's door SIX (6) times.
  5. Remove the key from the ignition.
  6. Insert the new key to be programmed into the ignition. Leave it in the OFF position.
  7. Wait 1 to 2 minutes. The security light will be blinking. When it stops blinking your key is programmed.
  8. To end programming step on the brake one time.

If the blinking security light does not go off within 2 minutes, the procedure must be repeated from the beginning.
  9. Verify success by starting the engine.

Remote Programming

1. Close and lock all doors.
  2. Unlock and open driver's door.
  3. Insert key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
  4. Close and open the driver's door TWO TIMES.
  5. Insert key into the ignition and remove ONE TIME.
  6. Close and open the driver's door TWO TIMES.
  7. Insert key into the ignition.
  8. Close the driver's door.
  9. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME.
    (Do not start engine)
    This will place the car in ADD mode for your remote.
    Note: Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote AND will erase all existing remotes.
  10. Remove the key from the ignition.
    The door locks will cycle one time (or two if set to erase existing remotes).
  11. On the REMOTE press and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 2 to 5 seconds and release.
    Hold the remote higher for better reception.
  12. On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK button for 1 to 3 seconds and release.

If the door locks cycle once, the procedure was accepted.
    If the door locks cycle twice it has failed and the procedure must be repeated from the beginning.
  13. To end programming, open and close the driver's door then insert key in ignition and remove it.
  14. Verify success by pressing any button on the remote.

I make no claims to be an expert with respect to this process or anything for that matter. I was happy that I was able to get my key / remote to function and pass on what worked for me in case it might help someone in the same situation.
These instructions are refined from a source which I found online, but I have since lost the original source info.

Great job Bogey! There is always a fellow member trying to program a new key and either can't make it work or gets conflicting information. The latter models which use the proximity FOB are usually trouble free.

Thank you for posting this information. Let us know if any "bugs" pop up.

Paul