99 Ls400 Ac Not Cold During 95+ Degree Days

schujd3

Hi everyone my Lexus has been serving me well I love this car. I miss my 94 but my 99 is spiffied up with a new touch screen Navi Bluetooth radio and I installed a jl audio jx400 watt amplifier and the stock speakers sound great. Getting to the problem though my ac works fine if it's around 80 or 85 degrees. I recharged it with a kit from auto zone and checked the pressure with a gauge and it seems to be in the green. During those 95 degree mid day ventures the ac blows semi cold but no where near as cold when the Temps are in the 80s. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Joel

It didn't need much. Just half of a tiny can. I don't think it's leaking because it's steadily cold during low 90s. I cleaned the cabin filter out it was filthy that helped a lot.

If your AC output is 30 degrees below outside temperature, things are fine. Just use your imagination to remember last winter and things will chill. Put a thermometer in the outlet and test. 100 degrees outside means 70 degree air inside. Anything beyond that is a bonus. I guess you can also only rate the output on a longer trip. Short trips don't count since it takes the physical interior a long time to cool down. Also the color of the car makes a huge difference. Black=Hot,

It's beige with beige interior. The ac definitely doesn't cool at 70f when it's 90. My house is on 80 and it's cooler than the lexus interior on those near 100 degree days. But when it's 85 or 90 it's pretty good it works pretry well. I've cleaned the cabin filter leaves off the vents and sprayed the condenser down. I'm wondering if the expansion valve is bad? Sorry I'm new to hvac not really my speciality.

After cleaning the Condensor off and getting the leaves off the vents near the bottom of the windshield it's doing better. I don't think it is low on freon because I accidently over charged it (I know stupid mistake) and the compressor clutch would stop spinning. So I took some out till the clutch was moving again and since I've done all that it's working better. Also parking under the shade helps. Thanks everyone for the replies love this forum.

I would also make the sure the cabin air filter is not clogged. It can accumulate a lot of fine dust as well as the obvious leaves and stuff. Try running the A/C with the cabin air filter removed - does that make a difference? If so, replacement filters are not too expensive.

I was appalled at how much debris was in the cabin filter it all fell out after I shook it but there was quite a bit. I will check it again today and see if there is any more obstructions however just shaking it out did the trick. I do believe there could be debris still in there though and I wouldn't want it going in my glove box. It's working better though now with the suggestions everyone has provided. Thanks for the reply.

It needs more than a shake - best to blast it (carefully!) with an air line to get all the dust out (there will be LOADS). As I say, if removing the filter makes a noticeable difference to air flow and temperature (it did in my Mk IV), then replacing it is indicated.

• 7 years later...
3 minutes ago, SURENDER said:

I bought a 1999 LS400, BRAKE PEDAL SPONGY, REPLACED BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER NO RESPONSE, THEN BOUGHT A USED ABS UNIT FROM SHARJAH MARKET, NOW ALL WORKING GOOD. 

My Lexus LS 400 a/c .not cooling during idle speed , & less cool during day time. Need experts advise. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2015 at 4:47 PM, Clunkfish said:

It needs more than a shake - best to blast it (carefully!) with an air line to get all the dust out (there will be LOADS). As I say, if removing the filter makes a noticeable difference to air flow and temperature (it did in my Mk IV), then replacing it is indicated.

I would absolutely not remove the filter even for a short while. The increased airflow may first seconds move lodged dirt into where it should not be into the cooling elements etc.
Definitely replace the filter with a new one without delay.  It can be clogged with dust etc . I  change it yearly.
Take it to an AC shop if problems continue. They take out what gas is in there and measure the weight of it and put back exactly the right amount.
I doubt it would cost much more than 100$.  
My LS400 with very weak AC needed almost 1 pund of gas 18 months ago. Is icecold ever since.
They also  put in a trace chemical so you can see where it leaks with a IR lamp if needed in future.