Spark Plugs

Iridium plugs are recommended for performance, longevity, and cooler burning. Denso is the original plugs that came with the SC400 but NGK also make Iridium plugs. Lexus recommend change interval of 60K but mine ran for 120k without any problem. I have recently changed the plugs and immediately noticed smoother idling and even more throatier exhaust note. Plugs run between $7-9 an each so the plugs alone will cost $65. Change them yourself because it is simple as removing some 10mm bolts to access the plug cables. Only thing you would need besides the plug socket/extension is the extended grabber to grab and replace the plugs inside the tunnel. One way to bond with the car is to do the simple tasks your self.

$250 sounds like a lot to change the plugs especially if you don't know the type of plugs being used. Regular platinum plugs can run $5-7 each and iridiums can run $7-18 each depending where you buy them. The best deal I've seen is at performancesparkplugs.com for NGK IX iridium plugs. You can get 8 plugs for $59.99 plus shipping. Get your mechanic to double check the gapping and install them. I'm happy with mine. It is not necessary to spend the extra for the denso plugs. The NGKs will give you the same performance and last 80-100,000 miles.