Sc300 Engine Issues

Hi, this is my second lexus, and my first SC. I never had to touch the ES300(well it was basically a camry). But my SC seems to have a character of it's own. The engine skips, not all the time, only when it's warm. So, I'll be driving the car for about the first 15mins with no indication of the engine skipping, and then all of a sudden it feels like the car needs a tune-up. Any idea what this could be? I think it's some sort of sensor, but since I've never worked on a lexus before, I don't know where to start.

Also, I tried doing a tune up , but the middle two plugs in the i-6 is impossible to get to, unless you take the intake off. Does anyone know how if there is another, easier way to do the tune up?

Any advice would be deeply appreciated. B)

I guess the EASIEST way to do a tune up is to get someone else to do it... just don't go to the Lexus dealership (use a certified Lexus repair shop instead to save money).

As an experienced Lexus owner, I must say that getting to those two middle plugs is a pain in the !Removed!. My first suggestion would be to replace the spark plugs, then the spark plug WIRES. After about 100,000 miles, the wires begin to deteriorate (did I spell that right?).

You may also want to check that the air filter is clean.

I guess the EASIEST way to do a tune up is to get someone else to do it... just don't go to the Lexus dealership (use a certified Lexus repair shop instead to save money).

As an experienced Lexus owner, I must say that getting to those two middle plugs is a pain in the !Removed!. My first suggestion would be to replace the spark plugs, then the spark plug WIRES. After about 100,000 miles, the wires begin to deteriorate (did I spell that right?).

Thanks, I figured that it probably would take a lot to get to the middle plugs. I guess sometime this summer when I have time. As far as the air filter goes, I just put in a K&N intake kit in, so I doubt that it's an air supply problem. Thanks for you advice, I really appreciate it :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I figured that it probably would take a lot to get to the middle plugs. I guess sometime this summer when I have time. As far as the air filter goes, I just put in a K&N intake kit in, so I doubt that it's an air supply problem. Thanks for you advice, I really appreciate it :D

I had the same thing happen on 92 4runner . . . .(V6 - 3.0)

Valve adjustment was called for.

So when I took it in to dealer, they found a 12mm nut in the valvetrain - all ground up. My previous servicemen "forgot it in there"! Boy, was I *BLEEP*ed! :pirate:

But the dealer explained to me that the skipping is caused by the exaust gases pushing back trough your intake system and since it's all sensors are reading low O2 the ECU forces the injectors to spray a lot less fuel to stay with the ratio. The more exaust - more stalling. And service at the dealer costs out the (_!_)

Anyhow this was my case

Maybe it is one of the trottle sensors, I've heard that this is pretty common for Toyota engines with mileage after 120K.

ok, ok - i'll shut up now

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on "WHERE" Lexus hid the plugs. Is there a gasket to replace one the plastic cover is removed? Also, can you advise of any special tools to get to the plugs under the intake???

is the skipping constant after the 15min?

Hmm, I'm actually not sure it's 15 mins, but I think so. Actually, I might have a clue. I had a bad 120A Fusible Link (the one for the alternator). Well, that caused the car to skip really hard and shut off. But after I replaced, that car stopped skipping quite as hard. But it still skips...

Would 15 mins be indicative of something?

Also, as far as the plugs go, I guess you have to take the top off to get to the inner plugs. I've asked around and it doesn't seem like there's any way to get around that.

In Any event, thanks a lot for the responses :D