Hello all,

My 09 GS 350 I purchased a year ago certified used from Lexus with 49k miles was recently hit while parked on the street. It was a hit and run. It looks like it was hit at a high speed without breaking as their were no skid marks and car was moved about 2ft from the curb. Even though I

It was hit on the driver side rear my passenger side rear wheel received quit a bit of damage as you can see from the photos.

I'm mostly concerned about unseen damage as the impact was hard enough to take off my exhaust. If anyone has advice on whatI can expect that is unseen please advise . concerned about suspension trans and overall underbody conditions

Thanks for any advice.

post-160487-0-58293100-1433298320_thumb.

post-160487-0-09942500-1433298361_thumb.

post-160487-0-17313700-1433298406_thumb.

post-160487-0-44395800-1433298436_thumb.

It's just a "flesh wound". You won't know it ever happened after a competent body shop repairs it.

I had worse when a car hit my first Lexus LS in 1999 while I was stopped in traffic. I drove that car another four years and then a friend drove it an additional seven or eight years.

Well Jim, looks like maybe a tad more than a flesh wound. Repairable of course but still probably $7-$8K to fix. Looks like the striking vehicle was moving at a good clip on what appears to be a tranquil residential street. Over the years, we have had several vehicles struck in our quiet residential street. And yes, in every case, alcohol was involved. Good luck with this mess as I'm sure you are left with a healthy deductible to pay. Hate people like that.

Denny, it may not be as bad as it looks ... appears to be a glancing blow that may not have "racked" the underlying unibody structure.

I would be curious to know if the left rear door still opens and shuts freely. If it does then that is an indication that the damage does not involve the underlying structure. If the door does not open/shut freely, the back window will likely have to come out while the body is pulled back into place in order to avoid cracking the glass.

I had a VW Rabbit hit and severely damaged while parked in 1976. The driver of the car that hit my Rabbit was so drunk that he could not walk ... he tried to crawl away and hide in some bushes. I was talking to my girl friend (now wife) on the phone while looking out the appartment window at my car when the crash occurred at around 9:00 AM on a Saturday morning. It was surreal.

I should get a prize for having cars hit while parked or while I have been stopped in traffic. At least the last crash happened while I was stopped at a traffic light in front of the Lexus dealer's body shop - very convenient.

Thanks guys for the information. Jim the back driver side door, not sure if it opens or not didn't check. I was awaken fom my sleep when this happened this pass Saturday. So didn't really think to check. Hopefully the hit while parked luck doesn't follow lol... I'm sure alcohol was involved in this from what the neighbors say about this street being a route to hide from cops. Anyhow deductable will definitely be a $1000 not sure on a damage estimate yet.

Thanks again guys

• 2 weeks later...

One thing on your statement was misstated I think.

"It looks like it was hit at a high speed without breaking"

sure looks like it broke to me? Drive around your area and look for cars (you may be able to determine the color of the perp's car) and look for cars with right side damage. Best place to look is at local bars around the time just before you were hit.

Worked for my neighbor. Found the DUI dude, car was parked in his driveway with a fresh strike and matching paint. Dude was not happy one bit when 5-0 arrived.

ESTIMATES ARE IN!!!!!!!

So the repair came out to 12,377.00. Shop called this morning. Used body parts were unable to be located. The shop says a new drivers side panel will have to be put on, new drivers side rear door both rear wheels were damaged and need replaced. He also stated that a new door was purchased because he was unable to locate a used one for the rear driver side. Frame repair needs to be done as well. Bumper is being replaced new. The fact that the frame has damage is unsettling . I have to call back and ask about the exhaust as he never mentioned the exhaust repair. Original estimate was 6000 but doubled once crash parts were taken off, which I forget to inquire about. It just sucks as the car was like new as far as ride in appearance and smell to add. Now I don't know what to expect . One things a plus is I went to a body shop which was selected through Lexus. At least I hope this is a plus. One thing I forgot to add on the original post ---------- My neighbor seen a girl come back and take the bumper from the car that hit me befor I was able to make it out to the scene. He followed her and scene her put the part in a garage and was able to see the damage car. The police were told this but said they couldn't investigate because no one seen the actual damage. Tried going there but no one comes out.

So as of now my neighbors who seen this have all called and made reports but it looks like this !Removed! hole which was probably the girls boyfriend is getting away and I'll be paying a deductible and getting backed a previously damaged Lexus.

A competent body shop can pull the underlying structure of the car back into perfect alignment. The rear hit to my LS400 was worse (repair cost over $10K in 1999) and the car looked great and drove like new after the repair and on the day I sold it in 2003.

I doubt if it would help nail the guy who hit your car even if you had his bumper cover. It might be different if someone had been injured. I had the right side trim of a car that side-swiped my new brand new Volvo in 1978 (and pushed my Volvo into a parked car) and the police told me that they could not use it as evidence even though they tracked the guy down from the license plate number that another driver/witness wrote down and gave me. Of course, the car that the license plate was on was the same year, make and model of car that the trim pieces were for.

Even though the police said it was pointless, they still dragged the guy into court just so he would have to pay for a lawyer. The guy had over 20 traffic violations and they wanted to make it as painful for him as possible.

Dang, I've had a lot of practice at this. It's just something to get fixed and there is no point in expending energy on angry.

T"he police were told this but said they couldn't investigate because no one seen the actual damage. Tried going there but no one comes out"

Very sad that the cops wouldn't investigate a hit and run. Apparently it IS true that the is no noise in Illinois.