Ls 400 Brakes And Rotors

Z06 er

Hi,

I am contemplating replacing the front rotors and calipers on my son's 91 LS400 (due to shuddering when braking). I thought about resurfacing but thinking about the rotor servicing life after the turning> Any recommendations?

Thanks a bunch

VH

PS: See gallery for a pic

I thought about resurfacing but thinking about the rotor servicing life after the turning> Any recommendations?

i think resurfasing the rotors will be just fine, i just had mine done not to long ago.

it will work fine, as long as they aren't warped really bad, to where the machine can't get em back true, then the only option would be to replace, but first i would try to have them machined for sure <_<

Hi,

I am contemplating replacing the front rotors and calipers on my son's 91 LS400 (due to shuddering when braking). I thought about resurfacing but thinking about the rotor servicing life after the turning> Any recommendations?

Thanks a bunch

VH

PS: See gallery for a pic

Don't use the shotgun approach to repair, i.e. replacing things hoping that will solve the problem. This is expensive!

Check rotors first for any uneven wear.

Has there been a recent change that might have cause the shudder? For example, if you've recently rotated the tires or bought new tires and the shop torqued your lug nuts way to high. Check the lug nuts, they should be 75-80#.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

1. We recently put on new wheels and tires (see gallery). They torqued to 75.

2. The shuddering has been there since we bought the car. So, we thought changing wheels and tires (we had to anyway because we put snow shoes on winter, all-season otherwise).

VH

03 X5 4.4

99 ML320

91 LS400

92 Prelude 4Ws Si

91 Galant LS

Here is price I got a moment ago. interesting--a 'broker' ----dropships directly from Raysbestos !!!!

Anyone else tried these; Raybestos probably gets them from off-shore, but isn't that where the OEM comes from !!!

"Quote for 1993 Lexus 400

Allsafe manufactured by raybestos in the USA.

Front Rotors $25.50ea

Rear Rotors $21.50ea

Front Pads $28.95

Rear Pads $25.95

Rotors and pads will drop ship by ground from Raybestos via UPS.Items in most cases ship the next day.Plus shipping charges,email zip code usually $30.00

Scott

allhorsepower.com

You wrote:

Plse quote for 1993 Lexus LS400. Do you have undrilled rotors?? Availability??tks Richard "

Do these pads come with all the original shims or did you reuse the originals? When I bought a caliper at Bop-Geon it came with the crappiest looking pads I had ever seen. They even supplied one cheap looking shim and some paperclip looking spring.

I saw Irontoad (i think) had brake pads pretty cheap as well and supposedly genuine.

You may have heard about a new process where they actually turn the rotors on the car. My brother Chevy Z-71 shook so bad braking that he finally had it done. It was glassy smooth after that and they never removed the rotors. He said the machine attaches to the rotor or something.

Especially when the Lexus is such an easy car to change brakes on. I've done Chevrolets, Dodges, Fords, Truimphs, volkwagons, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Cadillacs, and probably a few other brands and the Lexus was by far the easiest.

Has anybody installed the Raybestos on their LS, and how long has it been since you've purchased/installed/used them?

My biggest concern is brake noise and brake fade Aftermarket brake rotors and pads from Midas can be very noisy and crappy.

I thought about resurfacing but thinking about the rotor servicing life after the turning> Any recommendations?

If your rotors are true (but scored) then having them turned can be a cheaper alternative to buying new rotors. However, if they're warped then turning will only delay the inevitable .... more warped rotors. Turning them reduces the mass of the rotor (less heatsink) in addition to introducing stress concentrations into the surfaces. My advice would be to buy new rotors ... pay a little now or more later!

:)

the Lexus was by far the easiest.

You're absolutely right, Denny. My dad and I changed the rear brakes(just pads) on the ES. It was incredibly easy. It took us less than a half hour to do both rear brakes.

:cheers:

remember just like pads: steel comes in many grades--%chrome,% iron,%carbon,% whatever--some wear, some don't wear.

Do remember one thing from about 15 years ago; took BMW rotors to get turned and the shop had to put new carbide angle cutters in the machine before they could turn the rotors---the old cutters just chattered; the guy said he had never seen any rotor so hard. TRUE.

Guys--this was BEFORE Lexus !!!

SO.........we need some usage reports on these low-dollar rotors.

• 3 weeks later...

any reccomendations for slotted/drilled rotors good AND cheap? (95 LS400) not so much for the performance/cooling, but more for the look so when I change the wheels and you can see the rotors, it looks the way it should :ph34r:

Just put on ceramic pads on rear 91 LS400. Will let you know after a while. See Gallery page 38 for 17" wheel (MBM 272 17" Kumho tires). Also currently shopping for slotted discs / painted calipers.

03 X5 4.4

99 ML320

91 LS400

92 Prelude

91 Galant

hello, everyone, just replaced my 96 ls400 with ceramic pads on all front and rear, got it from kragen online, they are fantastic, low dust, no squeel, and i can feel the difference in stopping power, just my input, btw, front was a raybestos and rear was friction masters theyre all made here in the USA,

Hello,

Well, decisions to get new rotors: CAR-X checked all 4 rotors yesterday: all below recommended thickness !!!

Options:

1. from allhorsepower.com: raybestos

2. from Autozone: beck-Arndley rotors, PG pLus

3. from Checkers: Raybestors PG Plus

4. from autopartsimport.com: Brembo, Mountain

Any help?

Thanks

VH

03 X5 4.4

99 ML320

91 LS400

92 Prelude