2004 Rx330 Temperature Control Button Broken

We have a 2004 RX330 where the temperature control button is broken. It will not let you push the button down to make it cooler (broke) but the up button works. We have navigation screen. Dealer is saying we have to replace the entire display unit around $8000 (which is for temperature, navigation, radio, etc.) Car isn't even worth $8000. Is there no way to just fix the broken temp button?? If not, anywhere to buy used display unit? Can't find our part number on Ebay or any other site online. Part number for entire unit is 86110-48110.

You need to be sure that u have to replace the whole unit. Hopefully the dealer was honest about it. If that's the case u should be able to locate a used unit from a used parts yard on the internet, however it will be expensive and including the installation costs, I see no cheap way out.

$8000 just doesn't make sense. Check with a Toyota dealership, perhaps.

Speaking of high-end units, can you imagine what a Tesla display will cost after the warranty has expired?

• 5 weeks later...

Did you get it fixed/replaced? If not, you can send it to me and i will fix it for you (free of charge, of course). I have spare parts from past experiments and know exactly what's wrong in your case... I've had that climate control unit from the '04-'09 RX330/350/400h apart a million times and know it like the back of my hand.

You can PM me or email me for a quick response! :)

cduluk@cox.net

• 1 year later...

I just figured out what causes this and it's a very, very simple solution.  My dealer actually "fixed" it after they broke the left switch when they replaced the cracked dash under their "extended warranty" recall program.  Now the right switch broke so I popped the temperature switch cover off and found a cylindrical rod connecting the cover to the membrane switch on the printed circuit board underneath was shattered. Now I just need to figure out how long the rod needs to be and find a compatible material that won't fail like what Lexus used.  In the meantime I can control the temperature using a small wooden dowel since over time the temperature accidentally got set to 70 degrees making my wife happy.  Happy wife, happy life! (lol)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My dads vehicle is having the same problem.

What did you end up using?

I tried a short piece of wood dowel with mixed results.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

• 2 years later...

I had given my daughter my rx330 2004.  The temp control up and down button has come loose on one side.  The plastic tab on the left side has broken off the black plastic rectangular housing .  Thus only allowing the up/down rocker cover to only attach on one side.  Any ideas?     I would hate to have to find a complete nav system in order for this rocker switch to work

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

I have been eying the climate control panels on ebay.

From what I can tell, you should be able to replace the switch and button from a non-nav unit, using the original bezel with the nav model.

What I did was take the shank off a small drill bit to use as a hinge pin.  I bonded it to the black plastic housing that contains the actual switches. with acrylic that is a power liquid  mix.   I painted the housing first , laid the pin in place and covered with more acrylic.     I also used 1/4 inch lengths from a nylon paintbrush to replace the degraded push button extensions.     The up/down rocker temp control cover snapped on nicely to the nav bezel    Hope my solution helos others with such an annoying failure

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2015 at 9:30 AM, cduluk said:

Did you get it fixed/replaced? If not, you can send it to me and i will fix it for you (free of charge, of course). I have spare parts from past experiments and know exactly what's wrong in your case... I've had that climate control unit from the '04-'09 RX330/350/400h apart a million times and know it like the back of my hand.

You can PM me or email me for a quick response! :)

cduluk@cox.net

We have had this same issue come up on our '04 RX330 with navigation.  Is this something that can be fixed without taking out the whole center unit?

• 1 month later...