98 Ls400 Estate Sale

Bigbird68

I'm not a Lexus owner yet but after this week I might be.

Sweet looking 1998 LS400 with 44,000 one owner miles. I've always loved the 400's but never pulled the trigger. It is pretty much in new condition. Silver exterior with black leather (which I am not a fan of but this might be too good to pass up).

They will be taking bids starting Friday. I'm wondering what everyone's idea of a fair price would be. KBB range is 5700 for fair to 6700 for excellent. Don't know if it has service records or not. Hopefully I'll be able to check it out on Thursday.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Low miles means more money, but you never know with something like that. I'm with you the only black color on a car I like is the tires. In the sun it soaks up all the heat. One good thing is it doesn't show the dirt so much with interior that color. I like the grey and brown interior, not a fan of the light tan at all.

I think I'm going to pass on this one, Bob. I have a feeling I would regret the Black interior this summer, especially since my car sits outside while I'm at work.

Talked to some co workers who have had or have black leather and they said it's not that bad. I'm going to put a bid in on it. This might be my only chance to get a low mileage 400 at a decent price.

I did a test years ago on my '94 , Champaign and tan, vs a dark teal green with teal leather interior Grand Marquis.

The Lexus, lighter colors, was 25* cooler inside on a hot Texas day.

Both had tinted windows.

No more dark colors for me. They look great but not for me.

It depends on everyone else bidding. It could go for 12k or it could go for under 2k. How bad do you want it?

44,000 miles ????? In perfect shape, if its a Lexus guy bidding it will go for 10k plus. That's my guess. It is almost a new car.

It is true that black interiors can get hot in the winter but you do live in Illinois which does not get that hot, at least not like TX. So, I would not think it to be a deal-breaker.

As far as price, bid what you are comfortable with. Most of the general public knows nothing of the LS400 and would be scared of a 17 yr old car. I would suggest maybe bidding $5500 which is not a real low ball but probably below what it would retail for if it had wider exposure to buyers.

Randy is right as always. Buying a car at auction can be a slippery slope. Start at $5,500, but only after some one else starts the floor bid. The most important thing about buying this car is to not get so caught up in a biding war you end up spending more than you can afford. After a few months and the newness wears off, you'll be stuck with that purchase price.

Paul

Went and checked put the car yesterday. It was parked in the drive so I gave it a quick look. Tires look good. There is a crease on the trunk that was not shown in the online pics. Interior is not black but dark gray. Pics were taken in the garage so not real good lighting. Some minor wear on the drivers seat. I'm going to put a bid in, get the VIN and check out what I can find online.

Dents mean much lower price. I will not pay stupid prices for messed up messes. For flawless paint and body I'd pay premium price. And LS I have looked at that has had any sort of body repair or repaint, I can spot it right away.

Dent may have been an overstatement but there is about a 2-3 inch crease on the back of the trunk lid. I don't even think I would spend the money to repair it.

You did the right thing. Keep an eye on it though...sometimes the winning bidder does not come through and the owner has to take another(lower) offer.

I took it out for a test drive this morning. 1st thing I noticed: smoker. Not an overpowering smell but you could tell. Random ashes scattered around. Needed a major detail. Not sure if this is common but the windows seemed slow going up and down. It did not have the comfortable ride I was expecting. Not sure if the shocks were bad on it but it didn't really ride any better than my car I have now. Brakes also seemed very soft. Tires looked great but I'm not even sure the last time the car was driven consistently.

The bidding was between a retired dentist and a lawyer. I was rooting for the dentist because I know of the lawyer and he's a jack !Removed!.

The thing that's bumming me out is we knew the people selling the car and I have a feeling he might have given us a better price on it.

Well, now we don't have to wait to sell my car to paint the house. Maybe someday.