Gs400 For Sale?

I am beyond new to the Lexus brand. Ive herd nothing but good reviews about the GS400. I went and test drove this one and was really impressed. He will not budge on the price, and claimed at some point the oil valve cover needs to be replaced. "i guess it leaking oil"

Which was more than enough to scare me away? Any tips or help would be great!

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5004390933.html

All valve cover gaskets leak after a variable number of years and should be replaced unless you want to live with the leak. It's normal maintenance and trivial. At least modern valve cover gaskets last incredibly longer than they used to.

All valve cover gaskets leak after a variable number of years and should be replaced unless you want to live with the leak. It's normal maintenance and trivial. At least modern valve cover gaskets last incredibly longer than they used to.

So its a non issue? Is it worth 5K?

It's your call on how much of an issue the valve cover gaskets are and how much the car is worth. When a car is 16 model years like this one, its value largely depends on its condition and local demand. If the owner isn't selling it at the current asking price, then obviously the price is too high.

Is the maintenance up-to-date and can the owner provide documentation? When was the timing belt last replaced? Has it ever been replaced? Timing belts are supposed to be replaced every 6 years or 90,000 miles - whichever comes first. Replacing the timing belt and associated parts (water pump, idlers, tensioner, etc.) will likely cost $1,000 to $1,500 if you have a professional do it - maybe more at a Lexus dealer. The GS400 engine is of the interference type which means that significant damage is caused if the timing belt "breaks" - it usually doesn't itself break but is taken out by an associated part failing ... usually an idler or tensioner.

I don't see any interior photos on the link you posted. I recommend that you avoid this car if it has the OEM navigation system or the Nakamichi audio system. No updates for the nav have been available since 2004 and if it breaks you lose control of the HVAC. Nakamichi went out of business long ago and Nak units can't be fixed due to no replacement parts.