New Rims And Tires Installed ....

K9crew

chips,

I haven't felt the wheels rubbing under hard braking or cornering but I'll check the underside of the wheel arch this weekend to see if there are any signs of damage. I'm fairly sure that the stock offset on my LS is 45mm. The stock rims are 16" x 7" compared to my new rims which are 18" x 8". The difference in offset is 7mm = 0.28" therefore the outer lip of the rim should be about 0.22" further out than the stock rim. Is this enough to cause rubbing with stock springs and shocks ... hmmmm .... I doubt it but I'll check.

By the way, if the stock offest is 50mm as you suggest then the 38mm offset of the new rims would put the outer edge of the rim right where the stock one is (or at least within 0.03" of it)!!

:)

K9,

Wheel choice and car color really boil down to personal preference. If everyone liked the same things it would be a very boring world. I think your new wheels look great and I'd bet that the handling is a lot sharper. And they sure look look like they cost much, much more than $485!

It is always great to hear from you.

Jim

hey big dog,

whatever is on your car in the new picture looks perfect. that is a great photo and your car looks great. I saw several people commented on the colors, which I didn't initially notice. After thinking about it, I realized that I have about every color car except black. I guess I have decided that above all other colors, I prefer white. The Corolla I just bought is that light gold color Toyota color (like every other Buick) which I don't like much. Then again, every car looks good when it is spotlessly waxed. The way your car shines says it all.... you care about your vehicles.

When I'm on the Interstates (which is about all the time it seems) I do take notice of others with clean rigs. I KNOW they are better drivers as well because no one who cares that much about their cars is a shippy driver.

I'll bet your car handles really nicely now. How about an insight as to how you percieve the handling characteristics before... and after? Oh yeah, what kind of tire and size are you running now?

Thanks for the great thread. Isn't this a cool group?

Denny

Jim,

I'm very happy with the wheels and have been told by a friend that they look even better when the car is in motion! Thanks for the kind words. :)

denny,

The tires are Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position and the size is 245/45/18. The change in handling is very noticeable. The most surprising thing is that the ride is excellent despite the lower profile sidewall. This is due to the factory shocks and springs which do an excellent job of absorbing bumps. I was anticipating a harder ride. There is more road "feel" all of the time coming through the steering wheel and only very new asphalt feels smooth. All other surfaces transmit varying degrees of feedback which some people hate and others like. Cornering is night and day ... this car STICKS like $hit to a blanket!!! Oddly enough the car feels slower but that may be due to another problem ... I used some Valvoline fuel injector cleaner a few weeks ago and my gas mileage has been dropping off ever since ... very odd! As for the appearance ... I'm thrilled with the look. I've had numerous compliments on the wheels.

P.S. The wheel/tire shop that installed the tires recommended that I run them at 40 to 42 psi. Does this sound like good advice? I've always followed the sticker on the door or b-pillar which usually recommends 28 to 32 psi on OEM tires. I usually set my tires at 32 psi.

I have to agree with some of the other members... A little too agressive. I would've gone with something a little closed, like on the 03-04 LS have or something from Carlsons. I guess when I have some money, I'll post some pics.

SW03ES,

You're absolutely right about that!! I was VERY surprised by the increase in weight. The tires alone are MUCH heavier than the 225/60/16 Michelins that were on there. That style of rim (thin spoked) combined with a larger diameter pushes most of the mass of the wheel further out from the hub which means that it takes more work to get it rotating and more work to stop it from rotating. I'll probably weigh the new and old rims/tires this weekend for comparitive purposes.

Here's an interesting photo of my car ... hmmm.

LS at speed

P.S. The wheel/tire shop that installed the tires recommended that I run them at 40 to 42 psi. Does this sound like good advice? I've always followed the sticker on the door or b-pillar which usually recommends 28 to 32 psi on OEM tires. I usually set my tires at 32 psi.

Hi.....well on me old car i ran the fronts at 42psi and 36 on the rears..

On the 400 of mine i also run the fronts at 40/42psi and 36ish on the rears.

I believe the lower profile tyres(40/45 profile etc) should be run with higher pressures as they are more of a squarer looking tyre to say 65 profile tyres which curve on the corners more if you follow what im saying :)

chips,

The tire shop's logic was that 40 to 42 psi will help to protect the side walls of the tire i.e. during cornering the sidewall won't collapse as much which will result in longer life.

"Look ... no hands!!"

I knew I couldn't fool you but it is an interesting effect.

Well, I weighed three different rims/tires today and here are the numbers ...

OEM spare wheel with Bridgestone Turanza ER33 tire (225/60/16): 45 lb

Wheel that came with car (see signature photo) with Michelin MXV4+ tire (225/60/16): 45 lb

New RS Limited wheel with Bridgestone Potenza S-03 tire (245/45/18): 55 lb

That's a 22% increase in weight!! I calculated a 30% increase in rotational inertia due to the larger rim and low profile tire.

I installed hub centric rings today as well but have yet to drive the car. The LS is a hub centric versus lug centric design found on many Toyota vehicles.

K9,

I like them, a lot. I have no issues with conservatism ;) I think its an almost perfect blend of "agressive" and "classic". I also think thats the perfect LS year to do that with. The lines seem right to me. Not sure Gen. 1 and 2's could pull it off near as nicely.

Good job. :cheers: