New Rims And Tires Installed ....

K9crew

1UZ,

Thanks for the kind words ... it's difficult to know how rims and tires will look but I think I got lucky on this one!!

The car came with aftermarket rims that my wife wants on the SC400. The offset of those rims is +38mm so I'm not sure if they'll work since the OEM wheels on the SC are +50mm. I'm pleased that you approve of the look. The LS is such a classic and classy looking car and I wanted to add to, rather than detract from, the overall appearance. The question about handling is an interesting one and I'm going to wait before I comment on that. I've ordered some hub-centric rings since I have a vibration in the front due to the wheel not being perfectly centered on the hub. I'll let you know how that goes. I will say that cornering is AWESOME and that I can now "feel" the texture of the road which can be good and bad ... anyway, I'll provide an update in a week or so.

:)

The offset on the LS stock is +50mm too ;)

Not bad, might be a little too aggressive for the LS, I'll look at the pictures a couple times and see if they just take some getting used to.

I'll stray from the crowd here. Personally, I'm not a fan of aftermarket goodies on our ultra conservative LS's. I think those rims are way to "Fast & Furious" Honda Civic for me; not suprisingly, I like the OEM rims the best on any car because I think that any aftermarket choice is just a general rim-not one that was made specifically for the LS. Weird?...I know, but it's just my expressing my love of 100% OEM cars! Nonetheless, I'm glad they make you happy which is most important! ;) So, enjoy them a ton! :D BTW, that's a gorgeous car and color!

:cheers:

The rims and tires are very very nice. But, the color of your car and the car itself [to me only] don't match. My analogy: You have an Armani suit on with Air force 1’s.

Just my opinion. I'm also not a big fan of the color of your car, but dang, your car changed my preference. If a car can do that, then I'll tag it as a "KILLER." B)

They're growing on me...

Like blake I usually don't like aftermarket modifications on a car, I like to keep them original, but they look good.

I'm not a fan of that color either, but for some reason it really looks "right" on the LS, don't know why. All colors look good on the LS' actually, I can't think of one that doesn't. Other than the 01-03 LS430 which had some attractiveness issues...

The offset on the LS stock is +50mm too ;)

SW03ES,

Are you sure about that? My OEM full-size spare is +45mm ... it's this type

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2473357899&rd=1

Anyway, thanks for the comments and opinions. I'll try to answer/comment on all of the responses.

SW03ES,

To be honest I would have preferred a silver LS since that's my favorite color for almost ANY vehicle (sorry 99! :) ) but this color has really grown on me. It's sort of "regal" and if you've ever looked at the photo of my LS at the Grand Canyon (signature) you might agree that it's a color that nature could have chosen since it blends so well with the landscape.

Thanks and no ... the wheels/tires don't rub (as far as I'm aware)!

93LSOwner,

Good comments and I certainly see where you're coming from. The previous rims were finished in chrome and seemed to match the car well. I was concerned about the contrast between the gold body and silver painted rims. I think the clear aluminum outer ring helps and the silver seems to match the clear head and side marker lights. Overall I like the look!

denny,

Thanks! The wheels were VERY cheap on EBay ($485 delivered to Hawaii). They usually cost about $175 each (still a cheap rim). I ordered the tires from www.costco.com for $219 each but was refunded $40 since I had them installed at a specialty performance shop. So the final cost with installation was around $1500.

blake,

Thanks for the feedback and for your honesty. I can't stand that "Fast and Furious" crap so like you I was concerned about ending up with the "ricer" look. I was aiming for a muscular, mature look with improved handling ...

Well,

Thanks again for you comments ... I really appreciate the effort. If another member finds our discussion useful in helping them to choose (or not change) their wheels then we've accomplished something.

blake,

Thanks for the feedback and for your honesty.  I can't stand that "Fast and Furious" crap so like you I was concerned about ending up with the "ricer" look.  I was aiming for a muscular, mature look with improved handling ...

Thanks for taking my opposition so well. :) What can I say, I like cars in boring, 100% factory condition!...to each his own, right? I should have been a more clear with my words. :blushing: By "Fast and Furious" I never intended to convey that they looked cheap or ricey-they don't. I meant they are extremely sporty and race car looking. Maybe even too much sport...hehe! B) I'm sure your goals for better handling and what not will be met quite well!

:cheers:

blake,

No problem ... I really do appreciate your comments. It's interesting to see/read the diverse reactions ... it makes for a far more interesting world! :)

SW03ES,

Silver has always been my favorite car/truck color. I took another look at my spare and it does have 45mm cast into the rim. I don't know if all Lexus rims for the '99 were +45mm but the ones that came with this car definitely were ... or at least the spare was since the car had aftermarket rims on it when I bought it.

blake,

No problem ... I really do appreciate your comments. It's interesting to see/read the diverse reactions ... it makes for a far more interesting world! :)

SW03ES,

Silver has always been my favorite car/truck color. I took another look at my spare and it does have 45mm cast into the rim. I don't know if all Lexus rims for the '99 were +45mm but the ones that came with this car definitely were ... or at least the spare was since the car had aftermarket rims on it when I bought it.

K9,

No offense on the Gold Color of my Lexus either.... :lol:

To be honest....silver is my first choice as best color for LS;

WHITE is second

Then my Gold color....it holds the dirt very well though :lol:

i'm with blake, those just don't look right on an LS, they are too sporty looking ie...honda civic ect....

no offense K9 you are a great member of the LOC

just offering my opinion.

the only after market wheels that i like on the LS are the WALD executive line. and i still woulnd't put them on my car.

but honestly it doesn't matter what we think, you have to drive the car, and if you like em then thats all that matters :D

I did a closeup look (big image) of image number 1 and all I see is work... and work and more work.

Dude, you are gonna have a heck of a job cleaning em things

Can you tell I don't like manual work? Well I imagine you might not either.

I might be wrong, and I hope I am unless you enjoy cleaning your rims, but I can see the brake disks in that image and the brake rotor as well and when you think of dust, them two combined are the perfect culprit.

Yeah! Never thought of that did you :D

I have the original rims on my 91 and I am grateful for them everytime I clean that car, which is more often than my wife would have me do it. Anyway, I really appreciate that plastic, or whatever material it is, that keeps the dust off the outside of the rim... just thought you might as well.

Anyway, best to you -- no doubt you will have long and lasting enjoyment from the choice you have made. Now I know how 18s look on an LS400 -- nice (drooling).

The tires are beautiful too -- I just love the treads on them shoes. :D

Me too. Thanks a lot for the pics. They let me know how 18" rim looks on a LS because I am thinking (just thinking) about a 17" or 18" rim for my LS400. I am more toward to the 17" since they probably won't loose too much ride comfort. But, spend that much money to just upgrade from 16" to 17"? Well, that is why I am still thinking.

The Gold color is my favor. It is so easy to take care in all 4 seasons and can't see dust or mud on it too.

THIS IS GREAT!!! I'm enjoying reading ALL of the responses and I take no offense to anything that has been said ... every member here has their own likes and dislikes.

I wanted to add that I chose a tire/wheel combination that has the same O.D. (26.7") and therefore the same RPM (Revolutions per Mile = 780) as the stock tires. I don't want to deal with a speedometer/odometer that's X% off!!

LS,

I agree that the gold "holds" dirt well but when it's clean ... wow! :)

VMF,

I've seen these rims in chrome ... they looked OK, but you're right, gun metal would have been AWESOME!

silvermate,

No offense taken .. and thanks for the compliment. :)

LinuxFan,

I haven't cleaned them yet but a parts brush may come in handy. Thanks for the heads up! I'll let you know how long it takes my wife this coming weekend! :D

lexur,

That's what this board is all about ... helping each other out as often as possible. If those photos help you to make a decision about your own car then this post has achieved something greater than the sum of its parts. As for the ride, there's definitely more road noise and a lot more road "feel" but bumps, potholes, expansion joints etc are all handled very well by the stock suspension. Initially I was thinking of aftermarket shocks/springs but now I won't be doing that. I'm happy with the control/ride as it is. Cornering is WAY better!!

My server has been down for the past couple of weeks due to a major network reorganization here at work so I moved the Lexus links in my signature to my IP server. The LS photo shows the car with the "original" rims at the Grand Canyon ... I like that photo!

Hi.....nice wheels mate... :)

Im not to sure of the offset on the later versions of the LS 400...i know my mk1 the offset is 50mm...

Now if the offset of your car is 50mm....your going to have problems :(

under heavy braking or uneven roads the front tyres will hit the tops of the wheels arches with a 38 offset...so be warned...

The only thing in your favour is that i think my mk1 had a softer spring,damper setup up to the later models,so hopefully theres less travel dew to a slightly harder spring,damper setup on your car....sorry to spoil the party..

Good luck.

From the first picture on your 1st post the wheels look as though there going to rub on the arch...