This is performance, Hear me out. Aero is performance right?

Here's your answer.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...on-prototypes/

Quote:

... Louvers are used over the fenders of sportscars to relive high pressure that builds up from the fast spinning tire, and from the complex interaction of air flowing in, out, and through the wheel arch.

The general rule is the more air you can extract from the wheel well, the better. On street courses, prototype teams will usually sport the biggest, longest, and most aggressive forms of louvers to vent air and create downforce. Another aspect of most louvers is their taller height (to give air a chimney to flow out from) that extra height adds more volume to the outer profile of the carmaking a bigger hole for the passing air to go over and thus reducing straightline speed. ...

Sooo, I'm vending my fenders. Thought I would share with the class....

20150505_203214.jpg

20150505_213701.jpg

20150505_221435.jpg

20150505_224720.jpg

20150505_224724.jpg

20150505_224732.jpg

I'm not done, of course. Trying to decide between louver vents, mesh, dimpled holes or what... any ideas?

Wow, nice project.

Do you have access to a wind tunnel? (jk)

Maybe taking a good look at the IS-F front fenders will give some ideas.

Well, the link is dead but I'd say you're going to the fringe on this one. I lived in Oklahoma for awhile and most people drove pickups. Never saw many cars modified except for the big block boys.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a wind tunnel lol. I SOO wish i did though, for so many other projects as well.

Yeah, you are right. Unless it was built in the 70's, has a 600ci motor or is 4x4, people do little modding here. Especially not for looks/aero. Everyone thinks power is the answer all

But, I have went in the shop and stripped down a ISF fender to look. They actually vent straight from a vertical spot, parallel with the wheel direction. kind of a odd set up.

Here in my part of northern California being import-rich, modified cars are fairly common. And today/2015 most mods revolve around looks (including wheels/tires/suspension, exhaust, tint, spoilers, etc.), serious power increasing mods are far less common. Today's modern sport sedans for example often have 300+ hp already with very good performance right from the factory.

Glad you had a chance to look at IS-F fender.

I loved the Cali car scene. I had a 06 Evo 9 with stock wheels, no tint, stock bumper, no spoiler,, etc etc. BUT, I had over 500hp on E85. I would destroy !Removed! often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty impressive project. Lot's of car mods here on the EC. I actually expected to see more in California but most people there seemed to drive dusty looking cars that obviously had never been washed (by looking at wheels). Yeah, I saw some nice but most were not impressive. Coronado and Santa Barbara both had many nice cars but LA, just traffic and dust.

I am rather excessive about my car cleaning so it's probably just me.

• 5 months later...