New Owner 1995 Ls400 With 95Kmiles

mikaelse

Hi All.

I Think I have been bitten by the LS400 bug. My first Lexus.. Love the smooth silent ride. Will be used as a summer weekend car.

Bougth mine after an old couple that had driven it sparingly for many years and left it to grandchild.

Very nice condition . No rust to mention at all. Not much on underbody either. Probably not used much in winter here in Sweden.

I am quite sure that the timing belt is original .I am in process of replacing it and Everything looked like never touched.

Timing belt looked ok after 20 years!. Though would not drive it further....

20 years is a long time.

Giving it a thorough service with new brake rotors etc. Bying the stuff from US and Germany. Better choises and better prices.

Mikael

Hey there Mikael, You now own one of the finest cars in Sweden. Yeah, I know there are all those BMW, MB and Audi cars around but the LS400 is every b it as nice AND it doesn't break expensive parts all the time.

Nice to have you here.

Denny

• 2 weeks later...

Still driving my 95 with the original belt at 170,000. Not too worried about it because I only drive it once a week and I have other cars to drive if it goes Boom!

That just doesn't sound right.

• 4 months later...

The engine will likely be ruined if it does go. Then what? Parting it out? Making it a yard decoration? Maybe take it to the dealer and display it with a sign "This is what happens when you don't properly service your car". Take it to your local community college for a fix it learning project ? Call a wrecking yard? Find some kid that needs a car? Cut the floor out on the driver and all passenger locations and run it flintstone style? Put a VW diesel engine in it? Maybe put a lawn mower engine in it and try for a fuel mileage record?

Put a blown Chrysler hemi in it and go drag racing? Better yet a jet engine and go to the salt flats and break the sound barrier with an LS400 no one has done that yet, and you truly will be "living on the edge". I'm out of ideas for now.

Engine will be fine if the timing belt gives up the ghost. 4L is non-interference so no annoying valve lash.

This has been disputed many times already. Just two threads with some links. I'm don't know who is correct but I would err on the side of caution.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/442048-according-to-gates-95-97-ls400-s-are-not-interference-engines.html

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/72220-am-i-just-being-paranoid/page-3

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12402&highlight=1995+engine+interference

Like it says there is good reason for them to be interference engines. More cam lift more compression all that makes for closer clearances. And one guy said he tested it. I say who ever says its not an interference then gosh do a test, cut that old timing belt and go hit the starter.

I'm curious why would a non interference engine have no annoying valve lash? That is a funny statement because all the Gen 1's are supposed to be non interference and they all can have annoying valve lash due to non hydraulic lifters, followers, buckets or what ever you wish to call them. They all have to have lash which is the running clearance between the cam lobe and the adjustment shim or puck that fits in the follower counter bore. If that clearance is too large you get the tick sound. And you would adjust it out using a thicker shim.

• 3 weeks later...

Still driving my 95 with the original belt at 170,000. Not too worried about it because I only drive it once a week and I have other cars to drive if it goes Boom!

you get the prize ^^^dumbest thing I have read all year. change the belt already

YEP, pretty dumb, and Denny I think you are wrong, 90-94 is safe 95 & up are interference.. my first (94) I bought with a blown timing belt (for cheep) at 235k miles on original belt..... replaced it & seals and bearings and drove it for several months and fell in love with Lexus... now have had 12 LS400...

Maybe not so dumb. I know the timing belt in my previously owned 90 LS400 was changed at 89,000 miles. The car now has 225,000 and it hasn't broken. Putting over a thousand dollars into an older car requires a commitment into the future. The 4.0L engine is non-interference so the valves and pistons can not occupy the same space. If it breaks, there will be no "boom" rather a quiet coast to the curb. And yeah, I did get lashed on the valve lash as all engines have that I know.