I Need Wires Too?

1UZ-FE

Yesterday i changed my spark plugs out on my 94 LS with the exact right plugs from the lexus dealer. I expected this to change the performance of my car atleast a little. IT DIDN'T!! I have never spun a tire for even a second on the pavement with my car. Yes yes yes, i know its not a sports car but i know i am missing HP other people have. My car has about 162,000 on it now. The original plug wires with 1994 stamped on them are still on the car. could this one thing be the culprit? i just cleaned my throttle body about a week ago too. HELP!!

I have 168K on my 1991 LS400 and I´ll do the tune up tomorrow. Some of guys from here says that I don´t need the new wires and distributor caps and rotors and some of other guys says that I need them. I was calling to the dealer and he said they usually recommend to change the rotors and caps with tune up on cars with more than 150K but they can be good for more then 200K SOOO ???. So what I did I bought the wires, distributor caps and rotors too and I´ll see tomorrow.

I recently replaced the whole thing as well.

Here is what I noticed. It appears my car (@125K) increased in efficiency more than anything. My gas mileage improved to the avg of 20-25 mpg of mixed driving from 15-20. Two of my plugs were very fouled looking.

I really did not notice any performance increase. If cost is an issue, I would do the plugs and just physically examine the wires for corrosion, cracking, and the like. I was surprised that mine were in very good condition up removal. I believe you can run a test on them to ensure they are witin specs.

From my 91 manual it states:

INSPECT HIGH–TENSION CORD RESISTANCE

Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance.

Maximum resistance: 25 k per cord

If the resistance is greater than maximum, replace the high–

tension cord.

Pachocco, It's kinda weird, my car was the exact opposite when I did the wires. My mileage stayed the same, but the performance was much more responsive.

1UZFE, I've never spun a tire, ever! I suppose if I really wanted to I could-like reving it in neutral and then drop it in D, but flooring it at a red light has never gotten me a tire chirp or anything. I think those that have had it happen was some kind of freak thing(the LS has power, but not tire melting power!)...some old gentleman in a Lincoln TownCar(I'd say the TC is a similar weight to the LS, but I know that the TC has only 220-230hp, right?) chirped his tires to get in front of me at a red light today. It was a rather interesting experience to hear this from a TC which further leads me to believe that LS tire chirps are odd ball occurances. Better yet, those that have chirped the tires should share their experiences! 1UZFE, what are you trying to accomplish with your car? better mpg? performance?

:cheers:

blake,

I want both performance and mpg. dont we all?? I am getting crap milage (12-15 mpg city). My performance is pretty good once im moving. I have driven other LS's at the lexus dealer after i detail them and most if not all could atleast spin 1 tire on dry pavement. i can only spin a tire from a stop when i first start it and the rpms are about 1500. i can also spin in the rain sometimes and obviously in the dirt. i just want better mpg and a little better performance. thx for all of your inputs guys.

1uzfe, do WHOLE tune up, not partial, change all wires rotors caps, air filter, fuel filter and then you might notice a slight difference. dont expect that changing spark plugs will give u any perfomance gain. its like applying a 1 patch to a tire with 10 holes.....

1UZFE, I did a little testing today just for you! Man was it fun! :D I wanted to see if I could make my tires chirp like a lot of other people said they could. So, I went to a quiet back road, and did a series of 0-60 type test. At first I could not get the tires to chirp, but after I did it a few times, my response time insreased, so I was able to drop the hammer quick enough to get a chirp! :D I found out how to really make them chirp. I used both feet so that 1 was on the brake and the other was holding the tach at 1k-1.5k rpms. When I let go of the brake and I floored it at the same time, it was AWESOME! No burn out, but a much stronger chirp, and I even got a tiny chirp going into second. The tire chip is attainable, but it took me a little practice! BTW, '95 LS-226k miles with totally new igniton: rotors, caps, wires, and plugs-ND Iridium.

How do you drive your car? My car can get as much as 21mpg in the city, but after I went racing around the back roads, I only got 16.5mpg :( . Try this: don't accelerate past the 2k rpms range. It sounds terribly slow, but it's really not because of our low end torque abundance. Plus the tranny will use it's brain to give you a hand too(it'll notice what you're up to and change the shift pattern. My 95 did this, and I think it's incredible that a car can do that! My baby's so smart).

Hi all...ive only had my mk1 400 for alittle over a month,my car has 130,000 miles with FSH...not checked the plugs or ht leads etc,my car seems to run fine...this is the 1st V8 engine car ive owned...so im not looking forward to replacing the leads,plugs etc in the future at lexus prices :(

Like others on here say..do all the replacements at the same time,then its done...just keep the old stuff for spares..

When people ask me about me car i say "ive got the flat one"..mines a mk1 with i think 243bhp...so ive started at the bottom :D so they can only get better.

With the standard wheels and tyres my car in the dry chirps....so top tip..here..if chirpings what you want,buy the cheapest tyres you can find and they will really chirp.....

When i bought the car it had a good tyre brand on the rears and cheapys on the front...and it UNDERSTEERED BADLY :chairshot: :angry::angry::angry: ...

So i swapped them front to back...a lot less understeer :) and less grip on the rear and chirpping and squilling all you like :D

Ive put 18s on the car now and im very happy how it drives :D

sorry to rattle on.. :unsure:

blake,

your car is a 95 which has 270 HP right? my car is a 94 with 250 HP i believe. i have bridgestone turanzas on all 4 and they have under 5,000 miles on them. what kind of tires do you have and how old are they. maybe im trying too hard to chirp worrying about me lacking performance and it just turns out to be good vs. bad tires. either that or they fact that my car has 20 HP less. so, i guess im looking for more 1st gen owners who can chirp. thats a better guage for me and what kind of tires they have.

IF YOU HAVE A GEN 1 AND CAN CHIRP TIRES FROM A START POST HERE AND TELL ABOUT UR TIRES TOO.

thx

Nope, I only have 260hp(the 98+ had 290), so it's not that much of a difference. I have relatively new Michelins(MXV4 Energy H rated) on all four corners; no cheapo tires here!

IF YOU HAVE A GEN 1 AND CAN CHIRP TIRES FROM A START POST HERE AND TELL ABOUT UR TIRES TOO.

i have never heard any kind of noise from my new tires (dunlop sp sport 225 60 16) i think it is due to the softer tire VZ rated..

now, when i had my old stock wheels and tires (15") with some goodyears (brand new 205 65 15) they made all kinds of tire squeeling noice, when i was at stop sign and gave her some juice turning onto a road or whatever,(trying to get a little sideways i guess) :lol:, they would "chirp" or squeel

the new tires won't let loose that often but when i do give her hell,(very few and far between, i try to baby her as much as i can), and try to get a little sideways like i mentioned above it makes no noise at all, but you can feel the tires spinning,as well as the back end letting go and kicking out on ya :lol:

blake,

so you're saying that you have very good tires and u can spin from a stop and maybe a little chirp into 2nd? if thats the case then i MUST be missing HP and need to so wires, cap and rotor. i mean thats all thats left right? so far i have done plugs and throttle body cleaning. I wish i could do the things you say you can do in your LS. BTW, did u clock any of your 0-60 runs? if so, what time did u get? thats an even better guage of power.

thx all for your input. i really appreciate it

I'm not sure what makes a good tire, but I do know that they are Michelins that were about $140 a piece. My tires don't spin(well, I suppose they do but not in the muscle car way I'm thinking!); they just give a real nice chirp. I did get a tiny chirp into second which was very cool. I didn't clock any of my runs; I wish I could have. I just enjoyed the sound of the 1UZFE!!! B) After I did my plugs, wires, rotors, and caps, the car responed so much quicker than before. I could tell just by reving the car while in the driveway. Also, after doing all of these acceleration test, I figured out how fast I had to react in order to get the tires to chirp.

How's the mpg going? Still at 12-15? How's your air filter?