Interior Leather Console Repair Or Replace Analog Phone

adrian torres

Hello,

I have a question on the appropriate strategy to either repair or replace some of the worn leather parts in my car based on cost and complications. The main worn parts are the center console, steering wheel, and front driver seat. The previous owner was a large person and worn down these parts considerably in his 18 months of ownership. The center console lid contains the analog phone. I am tempted to just replace it with a used intact part, however, the presence of an analog phone concerns me as I heard that removing the phone can cause problems with the stereo system. It is possible just to remove the top lid and not the whole assembly or is it better to have the leather repaired? Same goes for the steering wheel which has the phone buttons installed.

Also, in repairing or replacing the front seat leather trims, has anyone had experience in replacing the seat foam vs springs? I have heard that replacing the foam can help dramatically and seat springs rarely need to be replaced.

Has anyone gone through this process and shed some insight?

Adrian

It would help if you would specify the correct model and model year in your profile or mention this in threads you start but I determined from your past posts that you have a 1997 LS400.

I think it is worse to leave these old analog phones in place than it is to remove or at least disconnect them. Water in the trunk can short out and even rust away the connectors to the phone ECU putting the audio system in permanent mute mode. A coworker of mine lost the audio system sound in his 99 LS400 for about a year until I helped him.

The phone handset/cradle can be removed from the upper console tray by prying out the black console tray insert with a putty knife (tape its blade to prevent damage) or a plastic trim removal tool. Pry carefully and a little at a time around the edges so that you don't crack the insert. If I remember correctly, you can access the handset/cradle connectors so you can unplug them after you remove the air vents you see when the arm rest is raised.

Then go to the trunk and remove the false floor from the right side. Unplug all the connectors from the phone ECU and plug the two largest ones on the "car side" together. Make sure all the connectors are secured so that they don't come in contact with water than might accumulate around the phone ECU. The two large connectors that I am telling you to plug together are normally plugged through a white plastic bracket attached to the bottom of the tool kit recepticle.

When I checked a few years ago, the upper tray console tray insert was not available as a separate part. I covered the holes in mine with black electrical tape on the underside of the insert before I snapped the insert back into place. A person who was on this forum a long time ago cut up a black mouse pad (do they still make mouse pads?) and cemented it to the upper console tray insert to hide the holes left after the phone cradle was removed.

How quickly technology becomes obsolete. When Lexus came out with the built in console cell phone, I remember thinking it was the coolest thing, now what was once a valuable asset has become a liability. People back then actually had holes drilled into the roof of their cars to install the antennas before the window sticky ones became popular.

I have seen many LS400's in junkyards with console parts. If you have a Pick-n-Pull in your area, they list daily the new arrivals and if you can beat our friends from the south there, you can get some good parts. For the driver's seat, buy one from England because for whatever reason they drive from the passenger's seat.

A competent upholstery shop can replace whatever needs replacing in matching material. I have had

this done on several of my vehicles.

There was a phone in both my '93 and my '95. Not a big deal to remove them. I had no problems with either of mine.

Thank you for all of your replies. So far my options are on my 97 LS400 is to either replace the console lid leather ($100) or to replace the whole assemble with a used part ($100-$250) pending availability. There is one for $90 on ebay as we speak.

It worth mentioning that my trunk did have a leak 2 years ago, which was due to worn weatherstripping and a bent metal lip on which the stripping is attached to. Since then there has been no more leaks. I want to add a Parrot system to the Nakamichi sound system this year, and since the phone system will have to be removed from the stereo system anyway, sounds like I will have to disconnect the phone system in the trunk. So, I am leaning towards have the leather replaced first, then having the phone system removed later when I have to install the Parrot system. (I am still having issues with the CD player intermittent working, but now give ERR 13 codes before failing which leads me to believe that the CD unit is faulty and not the head unit which was I was led to believe.

I was also quoted $125 to repair the peeling leather on the steering wheel and $600 to replace the driver seat covers, do these prices seem in line, as I do not have any other information to compare them too.

Adrian