"taillamp Failure"

flashedwards

Tonght I started the '98 LS400, dropped it into gear, turned on the headlights and then a little bell chimed and a red warning light came on with the admonition stating "TAILLAMP FAILURE". Got out and looked at all of the rear lights including brake, turn, running, back-up and license plate. They all were fine, nothing wrong. All of the bulbs came on and operated correctly. How does the sensor know that one of the bulbs burnt out or malfunctioning? I would assume that it senses a difference in resistance or a voltage change or something along those lines. Anybody know? Does this happen often?......just turned 100k.

Is the computer throwing a bogus code or what else could it be? Nothing seems wrong with the lights.

☆☆☆HELP☆☆☆

It could be only a loose filament in a bulb. You could try changing the rear bulbs including the stop light bulbs at the rear window. Maybe some of the bulbs are original. Bulbs can get pretty disgusting with the globes blackened after 10+ years.

As far as I know all of the bulbs are original. That would make them 17 years old (give or take) so it would seem logical that one or more of them would be nearing the end of their useful life. So as you suggested, I'll start by pulling all of the bulbs and try to find the bad one. I'll get back to you when I find something.

Thanks for the help.....keep you fingers crossed.

• 8 months later...

Sorry....I should have gotten back to you guys several weeks ago.....the problem was simply a burned out bulb. After watching a video that pointed out a few tricks in getting to the bulb it was just a simple replacement. About two weeks later another bulb burned out (this time it was on the passenger side. No questions this time.....badda boom....badda bing.

Thanks to all and Merry Christmas,

Flash