3.0L Vvt-I Is An Interference Engine?

Hello, I've been looking for an 02-06 ES and I was under the assumption that it was a non-interference engine via multiple websites.

After asking sellers if the timing belt has been changed (some have, some haven't), I googled some more and came across that the VVT-i engine are interference designs due to the valve timing being variable.

Can someone clarify? This would definitely change the offer I would place on a car that hasn't been serviced and is near or over 90k.

Hi Johnny and welcome to the Club.

This link takes you to our data base and is just one post I found when searching. There are other postings about this subject if you want to do some research. This link covers the 2002 - 2006 ES models.

Others should be along to help clarify your questions.

Paul

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/62427-do-you-have-an-interference-engine-in-your-lexus-how-to/

As I understand it when Toyota went to the VVTI version of the six with variable cam timing it became a interference engine. This is contrary to many parts manufacturers that were to lazy to update their info....