Fuel Additive?

gshawns

A friend of mine mentioned that he adds a fuel additive to his Toyota once in a while to help clean out the lines and stuff. He said it was recommended by the Toyota dealer. Anyone know whether or not this is a good idea? If it is good to do, any recommendation on what to use?

BG44k - very potent, I would not use this on a constant basis

Techron, heard this is a less concentrated, but pretty much the same as BG product.

I am going to try the redline SL-1 fuel additive. I think amsoil makes a decent product as well.

There are so many, I'm sure there will be others who will post their experiences with other products.

I throw in a bottle of Chevron w/Techron fuel system cleaner with every other oil change. That comes out to be about every 10,000 miles or 6 months. It is readily available at the Exxon/Mobil stations that I fill up at.

steviej

About twice a year, I put a bottle of Valvoline Synpower "fuel system cleaner" (not the fuel injector stuff) before I go on a long highway drive.....I notice a inprovement in fuel milage & a bit better pick up when accelerating. It's good stuff......always use a quality brand name gasoline too. B)

:cheers:

I throw in STP Gas treatment... before every fill up.

IMPROVES QUALITY OF GAS

USE REGULARLY WHEN YOU FILL UP

Improves quality of gas by adding powerful cleaning agents to help fight accumulation of harmful carbon, gum and varnish deposits in the fuel system that can reduce performance. Also engineered to remove water, which can lead to fuel line freeze. This product is made with Jet fuel, a high quality carrier of active ingredients. This product is safe for all gasoline engines.

STP Gas Treatment Used Regularly Helps:

Boost cleaning performance of gas

Save gas by keeping fuel intake system clean

Fight fuel line freeze by removing water

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to give a new product a try from Liqui-Moly (German company). It's their total fuel system cleaner & I will use it on my trip down to Florida over my honeymoon & will report back on how it performed. B)

:cheers:

Maybe one reason I have not had any fuel system problems for 438,000 miles is because I havn't used any gasoline additives. I just change the fuel filter every 30,000 - 60,000 miles and use major brands of premium gasoline. Additives may harm the fuel injectors and other expensive components. Toyota warns of this possibility. Nissan outright recommends against ever using fuel additives.

There seem to be two camps of owners.

One camp:

1. Uses cheap regular gasoline

2. Periodically uses gasoline additives

3. Periodically pays for expensive dealer "intake system cleaning"

4. Does not change the fuel filter

Another camp:

1. Uses premium gasoline

2. Uses no gasoline additives

3. Does not pay for expensive dealer "intake system cleaning"

4. Changes the fuel filter about every 60,000 miles

WOT makes fuel injection cleaning or fuel additive unnecessary! My wife use regular gas, no additives in her rx300. Whenever I got her car, I would go to 80mph to about 6000rpm a few times on second gear. I do wot often on my Cady. :cheers:

Here is a wot description from a Cadillac king:

Simply drive normally on the expressway and take advantage of any lull in traffic to select manual 2nd gear at 55-60 MPH. Hold speed in 2nd. Go WOT and let the engine/car accelerate to 70 or so and then let completely off the throttle for heavy engine braking down to 50-55 or so....go WOT back up to 65-70 or so....let off and engine brake down to 55 or so....get the idea??? Do this WOT/decel procedure 10-12 times and then shift to drive and drive normally. Repeat as necessary. The higher RPM/full load and the heavy overrun/decel in 2nd will exercise the rings to seat them against the sidewalls of the ring grooves and will tend to get them moving to rid the ring lands of carbon and such. Much more fun and less annoying than a dealer decarb or anything like that .... and much more effective.

Also, take any and every advantage to use WOT to acclerate in traffic, on ramps, passing, etc. Flog it often and hard. The engine likes it.

isnt that bad for your engine and tranny?

No, the engine and tranny are built for tough driving. If you baby your car and drive like a grandmom, you will get carbon built up, which is bad for the engine. :chairshot:

Yes full throttle driving is bad. People who get 400,000 miles of engine and transmission life avoid full throttle driving as much as possible. They drive gently and keep engine speed between 2000-4000 rpm just like the Lexus owners manuals say to do during the engine break in period.

Fuel additives are a waste of money if you use any major oil company brand of gasoline. To keep the fuel system in top shape requires only changing the fuel filter every 60,000 miles and scrubbing clean the throttle body plate with a toothbrush every 30,000 miles or so.

No, the engine and tranny are built for tough driving. If you baby your car and drive like a grandmom, you will get carbon built up, which is bad for the engine.:chairshot:

you got the website where it explains more about this?