Ecu Compatibility Question

My car is a 93 SC300 with a dying ECU. I found a guy selling a rebuilt ECU that was done about 6 years ago for half the price of sending mine off, but I need to know if they're compatible. Mine is a 24312, as is his. However, his ECU is from a traction control equipped SC300 whereas mine doesn't have that option. Will that ECU work in my car correctly or will it be throwing a CEL or anything like that?

I don't mind paying twice the price to have mine rebuilt if that ECU will throw CELs or something, but if I can save a few bucks I'd love to go that route.

I fix Lexus / toyota ECUs by replacing defective parts with high temp low ESR capacitors and other damaged components.

He has the same part number as you?

you usually also have to match the last two numbers after the part number you gave out.

On my SC400 I do get a CEL if I drive with another similar but not identical ECU.Mine was 30 versus a 40 versus a 31

Here is more reinforcement: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400-300/514607-2-ecu-part-numbers-for-the-same-year-1993-sc400.html

datarecovery

Well, judging by the numbers still evident on the various stickers on my ECU and the ones in the picture of his cover, here is what matches:

Both have 38 0515 on the big text sticker. On the purple sticker, both say 2jz-ge a/t and 40p. Above that, mine says and his appears to say 17500-5281 12v. Also, 89661-24312 both match. However, the little barcode above that with numbers don't match. Mine has 17500-5281T while his looks to end in 5280S as the flash in the pic blinds the first part of the bar code.

As an aside, maybe what is happening with your ECU that you say it is dying. And what is happening that you suspect it is the ECU?

Usually folks come to that conclusion after some lengthy diagnostics, which I assume you already did!

Common symptoms that led me to pull it and see 1 visible cap has caused the coating on the board to bubble up around it, and 2 ECU repair guys in the Lexus community say that it's definitely a leaky cap. Didn't mind sending it off and paying the price for mine to be rebuilt, but thought I'd look for someone selling one that had already been rebuilt that was compatible and maybe saving a few bucks, but if his isn't going to match my car, I'll pass on the good price and pay to have mine repaired.

• 2 months later...

Hello sorry I'm new to this site and have a question

I'm a JDM top to bottom builder specializing in crx hatch back but thought I'd try my skill at the Lexus recently pulled ecu and found that I might not be able to save it if I buy a used one can I just throw it in and it all go gravy its a 1992 sc400 and basically want to know what all would need to be done if I can't repair my.ecu but need to replace it with a new one thanks for any help