Does The Rear Have Any Height Adjustment?

garyjavo

I just sold a 2001 navigator to get into my lx470. The lincoln had an air ride system that used a little sensor in the back to judge the rear ride height. You could slide that sensor up or down to adjust the rear ride height.

I understand the lx has the ride height control switch but I want to lower the rear about .5" to make it level with the front. Before I crawl under there to look around does anyone know if there is a similar sensor that can be adjusted to accomplish my goal?

I am pretty sure the suspension automatically does minor adjustments depending on things like weight and speed. The active height control system is for low normal and high mode. Low mode only works when the car is not in motion and high only works under 18mph. If you do not meet the conditions while you are in those modes, the car will automatically go back into normal mode.

-Robert

Well I crawled under the car today and found the answer to my question. The lx ride height sensor is very similar to the navigator's. There is one on the rear axle and it looks like there is also one sensor on each front tire as well. I only wanted to adjust the rear lower by .5" so I crawled under the rear on the car. If you look just in front of hte diff. on the drivers side you will notice a little arm bolted to the rear link. The other end of the arm is attached to what looks to me like a potentiaometer.(a sensor that read what position something is in) If you loosen the bolt connecting the little arm to the rear link you will see it can slide up and down in a factory adjustment slot. Move it up to adjust the ride height up and vice versa. I assume you can do the same thing with the front but I didn't play with that.

Overall on the lowest setting my lx sits about .5" lower in the rear now. As far as I can tell there is no noticeable change in ride. I just like the way the car looks when it sits level. Hope this helps someone someday.

Gary

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the info, Gary! I have a somewhat similar problem: the passenger side of my GF's LX470 is about 1" higher then the driver’s side. I brought it to the local dealer yesterday, they flushed the suspension fluid, charged me $700, but apparently this didn't fix the problem (although the car seemed level when I picked it from the dealer, on the next stop ~5 miles away it was tilted again). So I crawled under the car, found the arm Gary it talking about, but since it's just one sensor on the driver’s side, changing it position won't do me any good.

Does anyone know what can be the source of the problem? The car's passenger side is always ~1" higher, no matter what suspension mode is used, what stiffness is set, what load is in the car. I measure the distance between the top of the wheel and the top of the wheel arch. I always measure it twice on each side, parking the car looking the opposite directions on the same spot, so even if there is a gradient on the ground, it'll cancel itself out on the second measurement.

Thank you!

Roman

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the info, Gary! I have a somewhat similar problem: the passenger side of my GF's LX470 is about 1" higher then the driver’s side. I brought it to the local dealer yesterday, they flushed the suspension fluid, charged me $700, but apparently this didn't fix the problem (although the car seemed level when I picked it from the dealer, on the next stop ~5 miles away it was tilted again). So I crawled under the car, found the arm Gary it talking about, but since it's just one sensor on the driver’s side, changing it position won't do me any good.

Does anyone know what can be the source of the problem? The car's passenger side is always ~1" higher, no matter what suspension mode is used, what stiffness is set, what load is in the car. I measure the distance between the top of the wheel and the top of the wheel arch. I always measure it twice on each side, parking the car looking the opposite directions on the same spot, so even if there is a gradient on the ground, it'll cancel itself out on the second measurement.

Thank you!

Roman

$700 to replace one gallon of suspension oil? WoW!

The problem is the right front torsion bar needs to be backed off some(or drivers side cranked up.) You may have to replace one or both of them (defective?)

$700 to replace the AHC fluid! You got ripped off! My dealer did it for me for 1 hr labor ($90) plus two 2 liter containers of fluid at $30 per container, and they only needed the 2 containers since I requested they also bleed the height accumulator rather than just the damping accumulators (the four globes).

Anyways, the AHC should have a certain pressure reading (front & back are different). The dealer tech can easily check this with the lexus tester on the DLC3 connector. Make sure he reads it w/ the engine OFF, or the values bounce all over the place. For the front, the torsion bars should be adjusted so the AHC pressure is in the range specified in the factory manual. The bars should, of course, be adjusted so the vehicle is level. When they adjust it, they should lower the vehicle, bounce it a few times, then drive around the block and go over a few bumps to make sure the suspension has settled, then re-measure to see if they're equal. This is suspension 101....I bet they didn't do that. The height of the AHC sensors at both wheels are set according to the manual (there's a distance you measure that needs to be in a certain range).

Bottom line is, have them readjust the torsion bars and then check to make sure the AHC pressure is still in spec. The more you crank up the bars, the less pressure in the AHC and vice versa.