2010 Vs 2014

Hextejas

My wife's 2010 was in for a.minor repair and she got a 2014 ES-350 as a loaner and the ride and feel was significantly better.

I don't understand why. The weight is about the same, the wheelbase is close yet it has a more solid ride, feel and better handling. Additionally, it is a lot quieter and there is a lot less of the "feel of the road" through the steering wheel.

I liked the loaner so much that I am going to contact the loan car manager to see if she will sell it.

Can anyone account for the significant differences ?

Thanks

Hi George and welcome to the Club.

Your not the only one who has talked about the same things. In 2013, Lexus tweaked the suspension of the ES350. Over the last few years before the intro. of the 2013, Lexus buyers were looking for a feel in the ES that was a little more like a BMW. The characteristics you brought out are the things that were homed in on.

After the introduction with the new suspension, customers and potential buyers had mixed feelings. Some said they had bought the car for the famous "Lexus Ride and Quiet". Others loved the new changes. Handles better, tighter in the turns, etc. Also, Lexus changed the tire specs. to help the new ride.

I have owned both a 2010 E350, and a 2013 ES350. For me, I liked the older, smoother 2010, but frankly, after a year of driving my 2013 I don't even think of it.

Paul

• 3 months later...

Hi,
I just got a 2010 ES350 with 13k miles on it. The Ride/ Noise/ Comfort are all great! I haven't driven a 2014 model to compare it to.
How are your tires, suspension, etc. that might be a factor...or general wear & tear on the car?

Hi,

I just got a 2010 ES350 with 13k miles on it. The Ride/ Noise/ Comfort are all great! I haven't driven a 2014 model to compare it to.

How are your tires, suspension, etc. that might be a factor...or general wear & tear on the car?

For about the last 4 model years the consensus has been that the Michelin Primacy is the best tire for the ES models as it gives a quiet and smooth ride as well as excellent wear. The Micheline is the tire I have used for several years. Remember, this only applies to the Michelin Primacy. I know of no other tire suggestions for other Lexus models.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's 2010 was in for a.minor repair and she got a 2014 ES-350 as a loaner and the ride and feel was significantly better.

I don't understand why. The weight is about the same, the wheelbase is close yet it has a more solid ride, feel and better handling. Additionally, it is a lot quieter and there is a lot less of the "feel of the road" through the steering wheel.

I liked the loaner so much that I am going to contact the loan car manager to see if she will sell it.

Can anyone account for the significant differences ?

Thanks

Sometimes Lexus dealers will do things to your older car to make a new car more appealing to you. For example , my car rode noticeably worse when a dealership decided it was ok to set the tire pressure to 40 PSI on the four main tires (and 45 PSI on the spare) when the car specs says that the pressure should be 30 PSI.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

For about the last 4 model years the consensus has been that the Michelin Primacy is the best tire for the ES models as it gives a quiet and smooth ride as well as excellent wear. The Micheline is the tire I have used for several years. Remember, this only applies to the Michelin Primacy. I know of no other tire suggestions for other Lexus models.

Paul

I purchased the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology from Tire Rack last June. They have been great. A lot cheaper than the Michelin Primacy.

Our first ES350 was a 2008. Now we have a 2011. Love em both. But we keep them until 200,000 miles because we roll about 35,000 a year in highway miles whith kids in college. So I'll probably get a CPO 2015 in 2-3 years.

Michelin has a new tire out now that is suposed to ride better than the primacy.