No More Chrome Headlights

I have a 08 IS350 with the stock headlights, The stock ugly chrome headlights (and fogs). I decided to baked them open and paint the interior black. Here is my journey.

Here is what I started with, just in case some how no one knows.

2015-02-15.jpg

Took the bumper off just enough to reach the bolts surrounding the lights. *There are 4, not 3. the fourth is under the hood weather stripping. If you forget that bolt, you'll break the bracket when removing the light.

tumblr_njsbwz06FB1s1abn2o1_1280.jpg

A lot going on on these headlights. I have HID's and AFS.

tumblr_njsbwz06FB1s1abn2o2_1280.jpg

Baked open the lights (250 degrees at 5min). 3 small screws hold the casing together. something as simple as a butter knife should get the separation started. then just slowly work the lense apart.

tumblr_njsbwz06FB1s1abn2o3_1280.jpg

All back together. You need to bake it again to squeeze them back together. I'm sure there are threads about baking open lights. I love this look WAY more than the chrome. I did the fogs as well.

tumblr_njsbwz06FB1s1abn2o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_njsbwz06FB1s1abn2o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_njsl6uhjJU1s1abn2o1_1280.jpg

Thanks guys.

I do plan on either 3M wrapping or painting all chrome trim on the vehicle. I'm very anti chrome myself. Also plan to LIGHT smoke the heads and tails for a darker look.

Have you seen the LED smoked rear bumper markers? Definitely getting those.

I don't mind the tasteful use of chrome or bright brushed stainless trim on a car.

But my opinion from automotive styling standpoint, if you are going to black-out the trim, you might as well finish the job.

No I haven't seen the LED rear markers, sounds like a good idea. So they go wear the reflectors currently are?

Here is the reflectors I'm talking about,

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/2006-2013-Lexus-IS250-IS350-LED-Bumper-Reflectors-p/75-418.htm?gclid=CMGX0s_D7MMCFQuMaQodjmAAxA&click=12691

As for the smoke look legality, my state has a simple "visibility at 50ft under any condition" law. That should be easily followed with how light I'm going. Plus I have LED bulbs.

Looks awesome!

Have you considered Plasti-Dip on the emblems? That is how I did mine. Very simple, just a little time consuming because it takes a lot of coats. I did mine anthracite. I think it looks great.

Here is the reflectors I'm talking about,

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/2006-2013-Lexus-IS250-IS350-LED-Bumper-Reflectors-p/75-418.htm?gclid=CMGX0s_D7MMCFQuMaQodjmAAxA&click=12691

As for the smoke look legality, my state has a simple "visibility at 50ft under any condition" law. That should be easily followed with how light I'm going. Plus I have LED bulbs.

I find it impossible to believe that "visibility at 50ft" is the minimum in Oklahoma where I once lived. Here in Kansas it is 1,000 feet: http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_8/Article_17/8-1706.html

I don't know where your OK regulations are online but I do know that 1,000 feet is the minimum requirement of a number of other states and I assume that it is a Federal requirement since states do not establish standards for vehicle lights - only the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) does that. That is why you see the DOT marking on approved automotive lighting products.

Just remember that if you install unapproved aftermarket tail lights or tint your tail lights yourself, you may be assuming 100% of the liability for damage, injury and/or death should a vehicle rear end your car. And, your insurance company may not cover you. Even putting LED bulbs in tail lights designed for incandescent bulbs could be a problem.

How is your plastidip holding up? I worry it would chip and peel.

You live in Tulsa?! Any good car groups or meets for Lexus owners?

Dude, About the 50ft, Breath. I have not looked up state statues like your trolling self. Just what I've been told. I have had smoked lights on a few cars i own. I have never had a problem with the law.

As for Federal Gov making the rules, thats wrong. DOT is a bureaucratic establishment for automotive companies. States make laws for their citizens, federal gov has LESS power than state and can not tell them what to do.

COMPLETELY ERRONEOUS though. Let's make it 1000ft, I'll still be able to make that.

Moderate tinting of lights doesn't attract unfavorable attention (key word is moderate, so that lights remain effective for obvious safety reasons). Some cars sold in the US have moderate tinting on lights from factory.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the finished results.

Moderate tinting of lights doesn't attract unfavorable attention (key word is moderate, so that lights remain effective for obvious safety reasons). Some cars sold in the US have moderate tinting on lights from factory.

It is not about attracting unfavorable attention. It is about keeping a vehicle safe and legal both for yourself, your passengers and for other drivers and their passengers. I doubt that there are any vehicle owners equipped to verify whether or not self-tinted tail lights still meet DOT requirements and are safe.

Yes, some vehicles come with OEM tinted tail lights and those are designed to meet DOT requirements. There are also aftermarket tinted tail lights that meet DOT requirements.

So ... if anyone reading this thread ever rear-ends another vehicle, check to see or have your insurance company check to see if the owner of that vehicle has tinted his tail lights. Even if the crash is your fault, responsibility will be shifted to the owner of the vehicle that you hit.

^ Exactly why I said "moderate" and "so that lights remain effective for obvious safety reasons". Unfavorable attention is not desired either btw. Yes, part of the reason for keeping it safe and legal is not attracting unwanted LEO attention. So it is about attracting unfavorable attention and the desire to avoid, due to safety issues.

See if anybody reading this thread wants to check with their insurance company, don't expect them to give solid advice, lol. Good luck in trying to dodge responsibility for rear-ending a car that had moderately tinted taillights that are meeting DOT requirements, realistically not going to happen.

We've all seen cars with lights that are very dark-tinted with reduced light output and obviously a safety hazzard and yes that's asking for trouble with or without an accident. Short answer, not advised.

I got behind a totally blacked out G35 once. He had the little plastic covers on his. You could barely tell when he hit the brakes. So dangerous.

Sky, it has been done a little over a year. So far it is holding up well. I sprayed it 4 times, 20 minutes in between coats, once from each direction. I never go through a car wash and when I do wash around my emblems I'm very gentle. I wash my car with a micro fiber cloth. I'll post a pic but you can't take off for dirt. It is 12 degrees here. Not good car washing weather.

Also you might want to check into an F-Sport grill. Mine is tinted dark around the edges.

Go to YouTube. There are lots of videos. The best one I found was of a guy doing a Tundra. You don't have to remove the emblems. You just tape off a square area and spray. The plastidip sticks to the emblem but not your paint. It is weird when you pull it off it is kinda like a balloon. I have pics in General Chat. I'll try to find it and move it to the top.