Two Annoying Issues In My Rx 350

nastron

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this awesome forum. #excited

Anyway, I purchased a certified pre-owned 2012 Lexus RX 350 and I have two annoying issues. One is a weird sort of mechanical noise that comes out as soon as I release the brake pedal after I press it (similar to the noise that I found in this video http://youtu.be/gHzeH1Y6CxA for a 2006 Toyota Prius from second 0:04 to 0:06 and this one also http://youtu.be/2722U1d4zq0 from second 0:03 to 0:04, 0:07 - 0:08, and 0:17 - 0:19). Could it be the actuator or booster? I let the dealer hear the noise and they said that it is actually the actuator and this noise is normal! The other issue is a cabin fan screeching/squeaking noise (A/C fan). I can hear this noise as soon as I turn it on (especially on low speeds and it doesn't matter if A/C is on or off). Should I be concerned?
Thanks!
Sam

The brake actuator noise I am not sure, but the cabin fan should be quiet. There is a filter for the heating and cooling, maybe it was left out and their is something hitting the fan like leaves from a tree etc. I would check the cabin filter and make sure it is there. It is in the glove box and location and removal is in your owners manual.

• Like 1

The brake actuator noise I am not sure, but the cabin fan should be quiet. There is a filter for the heating and cooling, maybe it was left out and their is something hitting the fan like leaves from a tree etc. I would check the cabin filter and make sure it is there. It is in the glove box and location and removal is in your owners manual.

Thanks for the reply! I'll check the cabin filter and see if there's something causing the noise issue there. But if that did not solve it, do you think there's an issue with the blower or the fan itself? The noise is more like a high-pitched squeak :unsure:.

When you take the filter out you may be able to with a flashlight and mirror look down at the top of the fan/blower and see if anything is lodged in their. As for a high pitched squeak well I do not know. Motors do go bad, but very unusual.

• Like 1

I hope I find something there that is causing the screeching/squeaking noise issue. Also, I just purchased a K&N cabin air filter to replace the stock one in my car – hopefully, this will also help.

Hi Sam and welcome!

I've owned 3 ES models and never has a noise when the brake pedal is pushed. It is not normal.

I agree with Lenore regarding the cabin fan noise. Pretty uncommon for the fan to go bad. Another possibility is the actuator doors that open and close to mix the air temps to keep the cabin temp at your setting. If leaves and/or a mechanical problem with the actuator motors it can cause some pretty annoying sounds.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Sam and welcome!

I've owned 3 ES models and never has a noise when the brake pedal is pushed. It is not normal.

I agree with Lenore regarding the cabin fan noise. Pretty uncommon for the fan to go bad. Another possibility is the actuator doors that open and close to mix the air temps to keep the cabin temp at your setting. If leaves and/or a mechanical problem with the actuator motors it can cause some pretty annoying sounds.

Paul

I agree that the brake noise is not normal. By the way, the noise is sort of a buzzing noise that happens shortly after I press or release the brake pedal!!

For the fan issue, hopefully replacing the cabin air filter will stop the annoying screeching/squeaking noise.

Thanks Paul!

Hi Sam and welcome!

Paul

I was searching YouTube for similar car buzzing noises and I found this video http://youtu.be/gHzeH1Y6CxA of a 2006 Toyota Prius making the exact same buzzing noise (happens from second 0:04 to 0:06) and this one also http://youtu.be/2722U1d4zq0 (happens from second 0:03 to 0:04, 0:07 - 0:08, and 0:17 - 0:19) that I hear after pressing or releasing the brake pedal in my car. What could be the cause of this annoying noise?