Paint Fade And Oxidation Prevention

I have a champagne color 1993 ES with 103K miles on it. The paint is still pristine and shiny but for some strange reason the paint is fading from beneath the clear coat in two small areas. Wish I had a digital camera to post a pic but I don't....Sorry. The largest area is about a 2'X1' patch around the power antennae and a smaller patch on the right front upper fender. The fading is very slowly spreading. :cries:

Both patches are on the right side of the car. I wash the car at least weekly (automatic car wash) and never let anything set in the paint such as bird doo and tree sap. I wax it at least once a year.

I do remember using WD-40 on the stuck power anttennae mast (replaced the mast just recently). I thought it need lubrication but it didn't help. Some of it might of ended up on the inside on the body panel and start the oxidation/fade process. I don't really know what is causing the fade. WD-40 doesn't explain the small front fade patch though.

The fade spots look like they are starting from beneath the paint and making the color lighter and the clear coat is ok.

Does anyone know how to stop it from spreading even further?

Thanks for your input.

word of note: WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a solvent. I don't know if it does or does not degrade clear coat.

It is rare that clear coat can fail and even come off, thus allowing direct UV light onto the paint, but it does happen.

check with a body shop and see what they say. Just ask questions, don't commit to anything.

steviej

The WD-40 shouldn't hurt the paint.

I think the culprit here might be the automatic carwash. Carwashes use high pressure rinses and very strong solvents that really wreak havoc on car paint. Some are better than others.

I can tell you more if you can post some pictures.

Good Point SW03 and Steviej.

No traces of WD40 left anywhere but still spreading slowly. I think it maybe the automatic car wash along with the hot sun. Sorry, can't post any pics, no camera. I can describe it as the paint turning lighter (about 2 shades lighter) from beneath the clear coat in a uneven cloudy (as in clouds in the sky) appearence. So, from a factory "Shadow Rose" color to a light tan color, not white yet.

You may miss the patches if you don't look that closely. I am afraid it will get worse though, like spread and turn even lighter.

I only use the professional automatic car washes, not the gas station ones (ie, I use Mister car wash, wave wash, etc.). What kind of harsh detergents do they use? From what I can see, it looks like it doesn't effect the clear coat any. However, it may cause microscopic holes in the clear coat that exposes the paint to UV from the sun...?? I checked the underside of the body panel and it is clean and like new.

Sounds like I need to hand wash the car myself to prevent any further damage?? I live in apartment so do the manual do it yourself coin car wash places use the same harsh detergents? Man, I need a house. It's hard taking care of your car living in apartments.

Any car wash that sprays soaps use harsh detergents, its the only way to ensure the cars come clean without any detailed hand work. This is true of the DIY bays too.

I'm not POSITIVE that its the carwash, but it may be. It also may just be oxidation that can be removed. I've used carwashes for years and have never seen anything like that. I don't run my Lexus through one though. It may be some sort of detergent stain, that happens with carwashes sometimes. If thats the case it can be cleaned off.

I'd contact a detailer or bodyshop in your area and let them look at the paint and give you an assessment. Talk to a detailer first. Seeing it in person will let them tell you much more than we can.

Probably if its some kind of paint failure there wont be anything you can do. Once paint starts to fail its like cancer and its very hard to stop it from spreading all over the panel.

i never take my car to the car wash, seems they make chips worse, i have taken my now, gone 94 3000gt to many car shows and have used the following:

First, i ONLY use Armorall car wash soap is has some sort of lubricant in it that almost appears as a wax.

for was i do the following first coat

Maguire's gold liquid wax:

second coat turtel wax spray on with charnuba

for the tires the ABSOLUTE BEST for tire shine is BLACK MAGIC

for your leather interior use Maguires as well maintains excellent have im going to have to take before and after pics of my car i think ill do it tommorow and post, car is dirty

TRY THIS IT REALLY PROTECTS THE PAINT AND KEEPS YOUR CAR LOOKING SHOW ROOM!

first i'll move this to the detail section

and second it sounds like brake fluid spilled on the car. over time it just gets bigger and bigger and the paint falls off and the panel needs replacing if not removed early as it embeds in the metal. a great way to destroy a car if you really dislike someone. As it is almost unoticable until it affects the finish which is a few days to weeks but once it gets in there there is not way to get it out the metal it either needs to be removed completly by cutting or grinding out the metal or panel replacment.

i have taken my now, gone 94 3000gt to many car shows and have used the following:

First, i ONLY use Armorall car wash soap is has some sort of lubricant in it that almost appears as a wax.

for was i do the following first coat

Maguire's gold liquid wax:

second coat turtel wax spray on with charnuba

for the tires the ABSOLUTE BEST for tire shine is BLACK MAGIC

for your leather interior use Maguires as well maintains excellent have im going to have to take before and after pics of my car i think ill do it tommorow and post, car is dirty

TRY THIS IT REALLY PROTECTS THE PAINT AND KEEPS YOUR CAR LOOKING SHOW ROOM!

amorall car wash is OK at its best.

turtle wax is crap

eagle one wet in shine is a much better product than black magic on its worst day

i love meguiar's products, but the leather care is crap too. sorry

one question, how did your car to win car shows using those steps for detail??????

must have had a really outstanding paint job..... :lol:

you never want to get brake fluid on your paint. Never. Also as birds fly over, they can leave depositis which can etch the paint permanently. Speaking of that, I've got to go wash my Chevy or at least get that fresh "deposit" off.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please advise. I sent following e-mail to Zaino Bros. I would appreciate any advice on their response. I'm a little leary of using anything harsh on my paint.

Thanks. DDS

> Dear Zaino Brothers,

>

> I just purchased a 1999 Lexus RX 300. Although the car is in fairly good shape, I can tell that the car was not detailed often. Unfortunately, after washing, I can tell that the paint is thin, and the deep gloss that once was certainly there is now gone. Once the paint has diminished, to what extent can it be brought back? Can I get back that thick gloss that I'm sure it once had? What route could get it back (clay? polishing? waxing? And in what order?).

Answer: Zaino is non abrasive and will not remove oxidation... or bring back dull paint...

Oxidation needs to be removed with an abrasive product...

like 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009

see following tips...

Well the paint hasn't actually thinned, car paint is WAY more resillient than that. It just needs a good buffing. Check out some of the threads in here and the how tos on www.lexuscarcare.com