60k Service

ipaquser

My wife's 99' LX470 just reached 60000 miles. I called to schedule an appointment at my local Lexus dealer for the scheduled maintenance. I was quoted a cost of $1,130.00 for the service. I've asked the dealer to fax me the list of items that will be performed during the service. I'll be interested to see what's included. Does this cost sound about right for the 60K service?

I paid about the same for the 60k servicing at the Lexus dealership for my LX 450 a couple years ago. I recall it being just over $1000.

For comparison's sake, when we bought our second Lx 450 the past December from a Toyota dealership, I negotiated the 60k servicing as part of the deal. When I bought it in for the servicing, I asked how much they typically charge for the work performed (parts and labor). They told me that they charge $645 for the 60k servicing.

I've heard that some Toyota dealerships will not work on Lexuses -- regardless of the fact that the mechanical work would be identical. This logic might be justified if the work to be performed on some of the newer LX 470s involve the suspension or other components that differ between the LX 470 and the same model year Land Cruiser.

If you must have the work done by the dealership, check with Toyota to see what they'd charge and if they'd work on your Lexus.

Thanks for the feedback. I did drop off the car to the Lexus dealer this morning as I wanted them to check out the rear shock. Previously, when I was getting the tires rotated at a tire shop, they had indicated that one of the rear shocks was "leaking". Because I bought the car CPO, it was covered under warranty. Anyways, I did get a list of the items performed during the 60K service. They are:

Replace Engine Oil and Oil Filter

Inspect Tire Pressure and Wear

Rotate Tires and Balance

Inspect/Correct All Fluid Levels

Inspect Engine Drive Belts and Hoses

Replace Engine Air Filter

Replace Spark Plugs

Replace Engine Coolant

Replace Brake Fluid

Inspect A/C Filter

Clean Throttle Housing

Replace PCV Valve

Inspect Valves/Audible Inspection

Inspect Fule Lines and Connections, Fuel Tank Vapor Tent Systems, Hoses, Fuel Tank Bend

Inspect/Replace Fuel Tank Cap Gasket

Inspect Charcoal Canister

Inspect Exhaust Pipes and Mountings

Inspect Brake Pads, Disc/Drums, Lines and Hoses

Inspect Steering Linkages and Sterring Rack & Pinion

Inspect Ball Joints and Dust Covers

Inspect Drive Shaft Boots (Retorque Flange Bolts)

Replace Transmission Fuild

Replace Differential Oil

Inspect Front Wheel Bearings

Replace Trnasfer Case Fluid

Lubricate Front Drive Shaft Bushings

Lubricate Propeller Shaft

Inspect Height Control Suspension

Inspect Height Control Suspension Fluid

Inspect Boby Condition

Inspect Chassis Bolts and Nuts

Replace Wiper Re-fills

Road Test Vehicle

Clean Vehicle

Replace Drive Belts

Seems kind of pricey to "inspect" these items. I've heard a while back that because Lexus is so reliable and their vehicles are seldom in for service, that the service deparment is not making any money. Traditionally, it is the service department that makes most of the profits for the dealership. My theory is that if they can't make money of repairs, they will make it off of scheduled maintenance. How else can they charge the following for the 60K service on their other vehicles.

ES, IS - $964.95

GS300 - $989.95

SC - $1,014.95

LS, RX - $1,039.95

GX, LX - $1,149.95

Save yourself some money, go to a reputable shop have 'em do a transmission flush and replace with synthetic trannie fluid ($125). Replace the center and rear dif fluid with synthetic (about $40 ea). Flush the cooling system (?$), get a new serpentine belt ($100). Do the rest yourself and save a lot of $$$$$. If you haven't already, replace the motor oil with Synthetic, I do these myself it takes about 20 mins. and is super easy! Do the rest of the stuff yourself. $$$ quotes are guestimates.

The FSM is by far the best investment you can make. I have a set for mine (actually, I have the FSM for the '97 LC because I could get them at a better price -- but the mechanicals are the same).

With the FSM you get step by step instructions, proper torque settings for screws, bolts, nuts, etc. as well as troubleshooting guides and translations to the OBD II codes.

Some of the inspections require tear down and rebuild, for example, the inspection of the wheel bearing requires taking them out of the front wheel hub, which requires a repack of the bearings, so at least this inspection requires some work to be performed.

I bought mine as a CPO as well, so I've been pretty diligent about having my 450 serviced by a dealership (although not necessarily Lexus).

One tip...most dealerships will not provide a loaner for "regular" servicing (i.e. non-warranty service). The way to get the loaner is to have them check something warrantable while you're in for servicing. For me, I've been fortunate (or unfortunate) to have something repaired under warranty when I had taken it in for servicing -- so I've always had a loaner.

I strongly recommend you go directly to the service manager when you get your repairs done. Our service rep was a moron and didn't return our phone calls as instructed. Also, you may get a good chance of getting a Lexus loaner instead of a Toyota. My car is at 45K and were trying to get everything fixed, no matter how small, right now before we have to shell out for it.

Most of this stuff is drain and fill and is easier than changing the oil. My .02, unless $$ is not a problem, get the FSM and do yourself. Most of the inspection stuff is feel good, to make you think you're getting your money's worth.

When I bought my rig 6 months ago, about the most I'd done to a vehicle was change the oil. Since then (with the aid of the FSM and one of the cruiser forums) mechanically speaking, I've changed the oil, tranny fluid, differential fluids, radiator and heater core flush, front and rear shocks, total front axle service (new bearings, inner oil seals, birf repack etc..) removed and resealed the upper oil pan, lubed all u-joints, spiders etc.., and jerked around with the time advance. Next up, new OEM belts and 100 series brake pads on the front. Don't skimp on the parts, you're saving the money in labor.

And Doug... no lift yet! :D

:cheers:

Rookie

Hey Rookie,

I wasn't going to comment -- but I know the lift will be coming soon enough. You keep hanging out with those LC ruffians and it'll happen ;)

Are you sure you need to go with the 100 series pads? I've heard both positive and negative. Nothing major on the negative side -- just a bit of a pain to get them in. Post the results of the new pads -- I'd be interested in you opinion.

I just changed the pads on my 450 -- 80 series pads. Whole job took about 30 minutes -- would've been quicker, but I had to clean up the brake fluid that spilled out of the resevoir (I didn't remove enough). :blushing:

And this evening -- so I'll be ready for my Moab trip -- I just completed my CB radio install. Turned out quite well. I almost didn't have a long enough antenna cable :blink: but as it turned out, I had just enough.

Just remember, lift first, then sliders, then lockers, then... :)

Doug

Hey Doug,

Sounded like from the "guros", the 100 series pads were the way to go. They are bigger and thicker, and IIRC you have to do a little modification to get them in. Can't remember if it's remove the wear indicator tabs, or something with the anti-squel shims. I'll check on it before I buy them from "our stinky little friend" :D .

What do you think about the 80 series pads?

Have a great time at Moab this week. Sounds like a blast.

Rookie

I've heard some good things about the 100 series pads, but (IMHO) not good enough to warrant changing over. The extended life didn't seem like it was much better, but give 'em a shot. Let me know what you think. IIRC, it's the anti-squeal shims you'd need to remove.

I'm using the 80 series pads -- changed them last weekend (to be sure to have good brakes this next week!).

Got just about everything ready to be packed for Moab. Got a Yakima roof rack today (didn't have time to get a Tradesman or the $$$ for a Hannibal) -- this'll do for now. B)

Talk to you next week.

Doug

I'm not near 60k yet, but just for kicks, checked the Edmunds.com repair costs site and came up with this for the 60k on my 2002 LS430. Up until now, my Lexus dealership has hit pretty close to the Edmunds.com predictionsfor scheduled services

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Service

Part Description Part Cost

Brake fluid $ 8.40

Coolant $ 16.00

Engine oil $ 15.25

Oil filter $ 6.70

Total Estimated Parts Cost $ 46.35

Labor Action Item Labor Cost

Inspect Air conditioning system $ 4.89

Check level Automatic transmission fluid $ 0.97

Inspect Ball joints $ 4.89

Inspect Body $ 2.44

Flush/replace Brake fluid $ 34.26

Inspect Brake lines, hoses & connections $ 0.97

Inspect Brake system $ 14.68

Inspect Cabin air filter $ 14.68

Inspect Chassis & body $ 2.44

Flush/replace Coolant $ 34.26

Check level Differential fluid $ 4.89

Inspect Drive belt(s) $ 1.46

Retorque bolts Drive shaft $ 4.89

Change Engine oil $ 9.79

Inspect Fuel system $ 4.89

Inspect Fuel tank, cap & lines $ 2.44

Replace Oil filter $ 4.89

Perform Road test $ 4.89

Inspect Steering linkage $ 4.89

Inspect Steering rack $ 4.89

Inspect Valve clearance $ 2.44

Rotate Wheels & tires $ 14.68

Total Estimated Labor Cost $ 179.64

Total Estimated Costs

Total Estimated Parts Cost For Your Area $ 46.35

Total Estimated Labor Cost For Your Area $ 179.64

Total Estimated Cost (excluding tax)* $ 225.98

*This Total Estimated Cost includes the preventive maintenance items recommended by Lexus. The facility that services your vehicle may perform different, greater, or fewer procedures that can affect the cost you incur. For example, engine oil change and filter replacement are commonly performed by dealer and independent service facilities at special prices. These "special price" services do not typically include all of the additional procedures recommended by Lexus at each service interval.

I've heard some good things about the 100 series pads, but (IMHO) not good enough to warrant changing over. The extended life didn't seem like it was much better, but give 'em a shot. Let me know what you think. IIRC, it's the anti-squeal shims you'd need to remove.

Thanks for the info Doug. I'm going to look into the 100 series deal a little more to make sure that is the route I want to go. Not too pressing at this point, but we all know it's coming right? I'm pretty sure C'Dan is using them, and I think he'd give me a fair assessment of them.

The Yakima's are solid. I guess not as ideal for Moab outfitting. I use mine mostly for hauling canoe's. Probably not taking one of those, ehh :D .

Rookie

HRP,

I checked edmunds.com to get an estimated price for the 60K service for my LX470 and the amount came out to $333.37. Price was way off the quoted price of price of $1,130.00 from the dealer. I wonder if the labour cost and parts costs are much lower in your area compared to the northeast. Also, from the price sheet that the dealership provided me, the dealer quote for the 60K servvice for the LS is $1,039.95.

HRP,

I checked edmunds.com to get an estimated price for the 60K service for my LX470 and the amount came out to $333.37. Price was way off the quoted price....

That number is way off no matter where you live, at least as far as having it done at a Lexus Dealership. I don't even think you could get it that low from an indepenent using low quality parts and fluids. Unfortunately, just that Lexus emblem on the front grill is going to jack it a couple hunge.

• 7 months later...

Just a follow-up on this thread after re-reading. I've been running the 100 series pads on the front for about 6 months now. Hard to objectively quantify the difference in braking (may be placebo affect), but they seem to work very well. No problems or complaints here. I need to check the wear on them next time I have the fronts off.

Rookie

• 11 months later...

At 60K mi, I'd make sure the dealer changes the belts, FLUSHES the auto tranny (not a drain & fill, as most of the fluid is in the torque converter), FLUSHES the cooling system and refills w/ Toyota red (not cheapo domestic green, and not just draining and refilling the radiator; they should at least drain both the block & radiator), replaces the diff/t-case fluids, repacks the front wheel bearings, flushes the AHC fluid. BTW, the recommended changing intervals for front wheel bearing repacks is 30K mi (not an inspection, unless they mean they're pulling the inner bearing, inspecting it, then repacking?), ATF replacement is 30K mi, AHC replacement is 60K mi. The latter two items are often not even mentioned in owner's manuals.

PS: The front bearing repack is like a $300-350 job from a Toyota dealer (takes like 4 hrs, as you need to pull the brake calipers/rotor/hub off.) If it were me, I'd replace the fluids, plugs myself, then have the dealer replace the belts (getting the tension right is a PITA). The 100's rear pads also tend to go around 50-60K miles while the fronts last much longer, but this will vary w/ your style of driving, lots of stop & go, etc. Also remember that since you live in the NE, you are using the "severe condition" maintenance schedule. The "normal schedule" one is if you live where it never gets hot or cold (year 'round highs/lows between 35-90F) and driving is all on highways w/ no traffic w/ trips at least 8 miles long.

When I take my vehicle to the dealer, I always specifically tell them what to do. If you can change the oil/oil filter yourself, you can also change the t-case & diff fluids yourself and lube the driveshafts. This alone, will save you lots of $$ in the long run so you can save your money for the big, more expensive maintenance jobs best left to the dealer, like timing belt/water pump replacement, etc.

My wife's 99' LX470 just reached 60000 miles.  I called to schedule an appointment at my local Lexus dealer for the scheduled maintenance.  I was quoted a cost of $1,130.00 for the service.  I've asked the dealer to fax me the list of items that will be performed during the service.  I'll be interested to see what's included.  Does this cost sound about right for the 60K service?

60k on my old 94 GS cost 600.00 about 6 years ago . I have 10000 on the 2006 can only wonder what the 60k on it will be.

PS: The front bearing repack is like a $300-350 job from a Toyota dealer (takes like 4 hrs, as you need to pull the brake calipers/rotor/hub off.)

They might call for 4 hours in the book, but it's a load of crap. I just did my front pads and taking calipers off isn't more than a couple minutes. In addition, I thought that the rotors would be hard to take off so I took it up the street to have them cut the rotors right on the truck. However, they had to remove them as they couldn't get the clearance. Pulling both and turning them is 2 hours. Another 1 hour for the rear. 3 hours labor to have all of them off. Can't be that hard if a generalist suspension shop can do it for 2 hours labor.