Lexus Magazine

midwesterner

Latest edition of Beyond, the Lexus magazine arrived yesterday. It is aptly named, as I find it beyond me -- same reaction to the previous edition and my response to the reader survey. It is, at best, over-wrought, in my view. My counsel to Lexus in the survey was to scrap out the magazine and save the money. Discount the car $50 instead, or give every customer a $50 gift certificate. Or just out the dough back on the bottom line.

Under the heading of full disclosure, I've got to say that by nature I know I am going in the right direction when I observe that everyone else is headed the other way.

Accordingly, I find the features in the magazine to be a combination of Lexus self-worship and the unnecessarily esoteric. I can't generate much interest in "cult" design. The orange and carbon RC-F looks like something for halloween -- and would fit in with the annual pumpkin festival in the town where I live. And I'll be damned if I can see the relationship between the NX and the trip to Far Rockaway or wherever it was; he could've driven a '49 Chevy, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or a Ferrari for all the difference it made.

Having lived in two countries, done business in a couple of dozen, and visited about 40, I like to think of myself as reasonably worldly and appreciative -- at least as much as the next person. l like to think of myself as literate and having at least a basic sense of the arts. Beyond seeks to address a range of ultra-sophisticated subjects that, evidently, exceed any acumen I may have. But as Freud noted, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and I'm afraid the attraction of the Lexus book eludes me.

So, am I the lone heathen? Are my fellow Lexus owners streaming to buy Lexus bicycles, take tours of the Hamptons, or seek out boutique restaurants in distant locations, or probe the philosophies of avant garde designers and artists? And do these things really relate to Lexus ownership? Does Beyond strike your deepest artistic, culinary, travel, and automotive sensitivities?

Maybe I'm still just the guy going out when everyone else is coming in?

I think we all (those registered on Lexus website) received a notice on the site a while back. Gave the option, as I recall, of getting the magazine, and either electronic or hard copy. Maybe there is a way on the site to sign up for the magazine. Otherwise, I think some or all of the stuff is under Lexus news or one of the other Lexus Drivers categories.

Yes you can login and change preference to receive hardcopy mag, I did it yesterday.

I have a hard copy of THE LINE-THE LEXUS BRAND & 2015 MODELS, something I picked up at SF auto show in November. Was this one of the earlier publications (hard copy)?

First I have heard of a Lexus magazine. Of course I did enjoy the Kuerig coffee. Kind of swamped with magazines at the time. Reviewing the list from thought I see - Popular Mechanics - Popular Science - National Geographic - Smithsonian - Hemming's Motor News (the thick one) - Hemming's Muscle Car Classics - Hemmings Classic Cars - Time - probably a few others I missed.

To cut to the chase, IS this Lexus magazine worth bothering with?

Steve,

I don't think what you have (The Line) is related to the magazine. The magazine is about 1/2" thick and approx 8 1/2" X 11," with a heavy paper cover. Lots of color. Looks like something you'd see on a coffee table in an Architectural Digest photos or maybe in the dentist's waiting room. It carries a few advertisements (e.g. expensive watches) and mixes features the Lexus guys think we want to read with gee-whiz pieces on various Lexus models. I think you'd know it if you had one, but the features may be on the Lexus Drivers' website.

Saab had a magazine for a while, produced in a similar but less lavish style. The automotive journalism in the Saab magazine was gratuitous, and the there was only so much material I could absorb on obscure boutique Swedish glassblowers and trendy stylists in the South Bronx.

Audi had a similar magazine, which I received when I lived in the U.K. and my wife had an A4. It was somewhat more technically oriented, as I remember, but still pretty much in the same concept. However, the Saab and Audi efforts pale in comparison to the Lexus effort. The Lexus magazine is similar to the Rolex magazine, if you've ever seen one of those.

Will be interested in your take when you lay hands on one.

Denny,

If you are a Popular Mechanics and Hemming's type of guy, and Keurig satisfies your coffee taste (no need for custom-grown espresso beans imported from a secret farm in Kenya), you may see the Lexus magazine about the way I see it.

I guess I should also admit that in addition to the Kuerig thing, I have a stainless stell pot (they don't break) Mr. Coffee, coffee pot making machine. Wonderful for long term way to absorb coffee. Also have beans from Peru or something that I can grind. I don't often but it is good. Love coffee.

Along that line, when I was in London on visit, I suffered because finding good coffee in London is difficult at best. Morning after flight I ask the guy for black coffee. He brings me this tiny cup of foamy looking stuff. I ask him "what is this (not exactly" to which he replies, coffee. I give him the good old American naw naw naw, I asked for black and this .. is foamy.

Another guy comes out that speaks English (imagine that in London?) and asks the problem. I explain and he goes in the back and brings me a cup (still small) of normal coffee. The guy I could understand explained to me that you must ask for "drip" coffee. Of course the hotel didn't offer drip coffee and no Starbucks or 7-11's in sight so I did appreciate that the hotel dudes hooked me up with their "drip" coffee which they apparently keep in the back for themselves and sell the foamy dark little cups to tourists for a premium.

I need to swing by the dealer to have the tire pressure raised. I'll go see if I can find anybody there that knows anything. Haven't yet but holding out hope/

Yes, I remember when Mercedes used to send those fancy mags (with ads), maybe Lexus contracted with same vendor to produce the glossy mag.

But I'll wait to see what comes in the mail (to my old fashioned mailbox)...

I agree with original poster, the magazine is way over the top. Like really I want to read about the accomplishments of the elite.? I would better enjoy a magazine that gives tech info, and customer real time feedback on the Lexus line. Oh my I guess that is what this site is for.

• Like 1

Yes, basically a marketing tool with a "feel-good factor" for Lexus owners. The journalism -- automotive and otherwise -- is weak, typical of the stuff turned out by the PR mills. You wonder if anyone ever responds to the Lexus on-line and magazine features, taking up the offers for "discounted" stays at exotic resorts or seeking out an obscure, trendy restaurant in an obscure place to eat tiny portions of some exotic combination.

Right now, the magazine simply makes a rather expensive and colorful contribution to my recyclables bin.

Like SKY MALL, I'll bet hardly anybody even reads the magazine. You would sure think that with the huge technological advances in electronic communications that we would get less mail. Thankfully, the City provides us with a rolling, blue, 95 Gallon recycling container which the come and scoop every other week. A big ole arm comes down and grabs your can, whips it up and automatically dumps it in the truck. Pretty cool setup actually since only one guy operates the unit.

Beautiful and sunny here today so I'm taking my car out for a little run to the ORF airport to pick up my wife. With another big snow storm coming to Boston, she decided to work from here for a week or so. Looking forward big time to our neighborhood Super Bowl. Stand by for next year and "Super Bowl L"

At least THE LINE - THE LEXUS LINE & 2015 MODELS magazine has useful information in attractively packaged booklet form. I picked it up at car show, probably dealers have copies too.

• 1 month later...

I am a new Lexus owner but my relatives have 5 of them. The Japanese aesthetic is apparent in the design and execution of these cars. I went to a modern Japanese restaurant yesterday because after driving the car, it just seemed like the thing to do. I am now intrigued by this thought process of how to design a car. Mindfulness, planning for the future, being comfortable, etc. are concepts worth pursuing. It is easy to become too esoteric about it.