2003 With Heated Steering Wheel?

landar

There is an 03 LS430 listed at a car dealer that claims a heated steering wheel. I do not see it listed as an option on any LS430. Does anyone know if it was available as a factory option? http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2003/2003LSspecs.pdf

Dealer?.....is that the smell of money burning a hole in your pocket?

Heated steering wheel? seriously?

You bet. As Jainla pointed out, it is only available on the LS460s. It is beginning to be much more common as the demand for 'creature' comforts increases. It has been an option on Chrysler vehicles for quite some time now.

The heated steering wheel may be pointless in Virginia Beach, Va but in the Northern frozen tundra land, it could prove to be a nice feature. I have trouble keeping my fingertips warm in the winter months and even with gloves, my fingers sometimes get so cold on the steering wheel that I have to switch hands occasionally while the cabin is warming. I have never tried a heated steering wheel but would like to. Remember the age of the crowd that the LS is targeting (with myriad health issues) and you can see why this could be a good feature.

Just as heated seats may be seen as frivolous in Florida, they are nice in the snow bound states. And Lexus does heated things the right way.

• Like 1

See your point. Yes, in Virginia Beach, it is something that I can't imagine needing. I suppose having a heated steering wheel is another feature designed to compete in the luxury market. Now sometimes my feet get chilly, any chance of heated pedals in the future?

My friend in college had an old BMW (325ix, great car) that had a steering wheel that was COLD AS HELL during the winter. She had to put gloves ON just to drive it. The first heated wheel I can remember seeing was on a BMW 7 series in the late 90's; I guess they needed it. In the 'what crazy features can we come up with' it's becoming de-rigeur for a certain class of car.

The (weird/pointless) thing is that with newer cars with wood trim the wheel doesn't get quite as cold in my experience; so the heat isn't as necessary. The only part of the Lexus wheel that heats up is the leather part; and it's nice (and fast) but still half the wheel is unheated.

in Socal the wood part gets really hot in the sun; now someone has to make a cooled wheel.

Heated steering wheel is a nice luxury option. We've come a long way from rollup windows, manual door locks, manual side mirrors, unheated vinyl seats, etc. and personally I'm not interested in going back to that archaic stuff.

Heated steering wheel is a nice luxury option. We've come a long way from rollup windows, manual door locks, manual side mirrors, unheated vinyl seats, etc. and personally I'm not interested in going back to that archaic stuff.

Amen!

Like the rest of you, I have been spoiled by years of creature comforts. Even my old 97 Silverado has 8 way power seats albeit no heat in them. Seeing this thread gave me food for thought as I thought back to my high school days in Syracuse when I worked as a dishwasher and lettuce cutter in a local steak and cocktail establishment called "What's You Beef" from 4PM when I left school until usually 1-2 in the AM. I would come out to my 63 Econoline and it would be about -8F or colder. Talk about cold? Nothing was heated because it took about a half hour for the heat to get warm and by then I was home. My dentist loved the job because since my teeth chattered viciously every night all the way home. I even found it difficult to steer and control the accelerator evenly due to shaking.

The heated steering wheel would have been great then. Of course ANY heat would be appreciated.