New Rx Coming

pj8708

In the picture, the design seems to have been cleaned up a bit, but from the rear 3/4 view not as edgy as I had anticipated based on the NT. Initial reaction is that I generally like the looks. Making it bigger is a good way for Lexus to ensure that we drive my wife's '09 forever, or that we look at competitors. I'm guessing we'll find the NT too small and the RX too big, based on the write-up. I like the idea of lighter materials, and I hope there is a sport suspension or HD suspension outside of the f-sport package. But if the new RX is substantially bigger, we won't be interested, and I think Lexus will shoot itself in the proverbial foot.

I plan to attend the Chicago auto show, and perhaps will get to see it there and make a better assessment.

That picture looks like the current RX to me. I don't think Lexus wants to show us real pic until April.

If that's what they actually plan for the redesigned 2016 RX (I expect not or hope not), I'd be very disappointed.

I too was kind of under-whelmed after looking at the photo's. In my view the RX hasn't changed a bit since 1998. Other than the trim packages, shape of the tail lights and colors it's the same machine. That being said, the RX has continued to be the number one selling car in the entire Lexus line. Don't mess with success but keep in tune with your customers.

I really like the 5 seat configuration but Lexus has had it's bumps and bruises not having the 3rd seat option. I agree with you that if they do come out with the 3rd seat, it be just an option and NOT take the 5 seat off the market. In our family there is just the two of us and the RX is perfect for our needs. But, obviously we don't represent the typical RX customer.

I'm excited to see the debut.

Paul

I think we should be excited about the debut, or at least be hopeful.

Because I'm very sure that's a picture of the old/current RX. With that much a redesign, most likely every single body panel (including roof, doors, hood, hatch, front and rear fenders, plus every piece of glass) will change.

I probably didn't look at the picture very carefully, but it looks a little cleaner than my wife's '09 -- maybe the color. I was surprised not to see something more in the family look of the NT, so you are likely correct that it's current model. I could go for an RX more in the mold of the NT, but only if it remains about the same size. Will reserve judgment until I see one, but am not interested in a Toyota version of the Buick Enclave.

Toyota has to increase the size of the Lexus RX to add a third row of seats if it wants to compete against the Acura MDX which was enlarged and equipped with a third row of seats for the 2014 model year. The Lexus NX is now positioned to compete with the Acura RDX and is only slightly smaller than the current RX so it seems obvious what has to be done with the new RX. People who won't like the new larger RX will still have the NX to fall back to.

An RX the size of the current larger MDX isn't a bad thing. The MDX is a like a cleverly disguised minivan but the SH-AWD version of it is incredibly fun to drive; I hated to cancel our order of one last year when the delivery date kept slipping. The MDX was vastly more fun to drive than the smaller RX F-Sport that we also considered. A big negative of the RX F-Sport for us was that it was only a 5-seater and we wanted to be able to carry at least six people in a pinch so we crossed it off our list pretty quickly.

So ... I'm all for a larger RX that can carry seven or eight people. And Toyota needs to bump up it's game and add more features to the redesigned RX ... such as adding LKA, RCTA, auto dimming headlights and make VDIM standard. WTH is going on when my Sienna has VDIM and RCTA but you have to buy the RX F-Sport to get VDIM and RCTA isn't available at all on the RX.

I said NT, and of course, it is NX (I can't keep up with the nomenclature). A bigger RX may improve competitive position and against the MDX, and I'm guessing that Lexus product planners and mgrs have looked at the trade-offs. But based on my observations of the RAV4 and reading the reviews on the NX, I'd not see it as a successor to our current RX. I think that one of the reasons the RX 350 remains the top-selling mid-size luxury SUV, and the usual top pick by raters, is that it hits the sweet spot on size, utility, hauling capacity, and comfort.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Sure RX could could benefit from a slightly larger footprint (and 3rd row seating), but I agree with Stephen that care should be taken with RX sizing and not let it get too bloated.

Note: 2014 US sales of RX were much higher than MDX. Lexus Is in a leadership position in this class of mid sized premium crossover SUV, the rest of the competing automakers know it.

The NX is indeed based on the RAV4. I think I read somewhere that the new RX will continue to be based on the Camry chassis. If we are looking at a Highlander-size successor to the RX, I would be looking at a Grand Cherokee diesel. But seeking to stay approximately same size with the RX, the Mercedes mid-size GL (X?) would become prime candidate, or maybe the Ford Explorer.

The NX is indeed based on the RAV4. I think I read somewhere that the new RX will continue to be based on the Camry chassis. If we are looking at a Highlander-size successor to the RX, I would be looking at a Grand Cherokee diesel. But seeking to stay approximately same size with the RX, the Mercedes mid-size GL (X?) would become prime candidate, or maybe the Ford Explorer.

The current Highlander's length/width of 191.1/75.8 inches isn't that much bigger than the current RX's length/width of 187.8/74.2.

We were waiting for a 2014 Highlander Hybrid Limited until we found that the Toyota dealer was misleading us about it coming with HID headlights. (Ain't buying no more vehicles with halogen headlights.) My assumption is that the dealer thought we would accept the Highlander anyway regardless of the headlight type.

For us, a drawback of most of the current mid-size crossovers like the Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, Kia Sorento, and Hyundai Sante Fe is that their third row seats are suitable for children, small adults or for larger adults only for short distances. The Highlander has the least amount of third row legroom at 27.7 inches, with the MDX at 28.1, the Sante Fe at 31.5 and the Sorento at 31.7 inches. To put these figures into perspective, the rear seat of a Lexus IS has 32.2 inches of legroom. The 2000 LS400 I sold last year had 36.9 inches of rear legroom and the Sienna that replaced it has 36.3 inches of legroom in the third row.

The "smaller" Ford Explorer that Midwesterner suggested is actually larger than all the vehicles mentioned above at 197.1 inches in length and it has 33.2 inches of legroom in the third row which is more than adequate for a normal size adult.

Regardless of the limitations of three row seating configurations, people increasingly expect a mid-size SUV or crossover to be able to carry six to eight people even if adults in the third row aren't very comfortable. It would be nice if new RX has at least as much legroom for the third row as the current IS has in its back seat.

We (I'm a city councilman) recently bought an Explorer as the work vehicle for the director of public works, and I am very impressed. It is solid and quiet. I think in the top trim level it is not far off from the RX, but maybe not.

My wife's '09 came equipped with the trailer towing pkg, but we never tow anything. So we get the benefit of the HD radiator and the transmission oil cooler. We do regular maintenance by the book, and we're coming up on 65K miles. It looks pretty much like new inside and out. So I'm guessing that unless we just want another car, this will last until we are both unable to drive.

Maybe we'll never have to make a decision about a next vehicle.