When To Change Oil, Tires, Fluids?

Lexux

Hi all,

New to the forums. I have reading them for the last couple of months but there is too much information (sometimes contradictory) so I guess it is better to simply ask.

I have had my Rx300 (2002) for a few months. So far so good. I do not drive it much (I would say 5000-6000 miles per year). The car has around 120000 miles.

When should I rotate the tires? When should I change them?

When should I change the oil / oil filter?

Any other thing I should check? Coolant? steering fluid? break fluid? I assume those last long?

Thanks in advance

Did you get the maintenance records when you bought.? The spark plugs were due at 120k miles, the timing belt was due at 90k miles. The Radiator coolant should have been changed at 100k miles. Transmission fluid should only be a Drain and Fill operation unless you can get a fluid exchange. (please do not get a flush it will kill the transmission) Brake fluid should be done every 60k miles or sooner. I would highly suggest using full synthetic oil for engine oil, and once this is done you should be fine every 5k miles minimum. Tires generally are recommended to be rotated every 5k miles so at a 5k oil change it would be a great time to plan that. Brakes last a long time if they are Lexus/Toyota pads and from my experience will go an easy 75k miles from new. If your vehicle has AWD than their is a transfer case that also needs a fluid change. With proper maintenance this is a great vehicle.

The car has been taken good care of. I will check the records but I want to believe the main things were changed.

"Tires generally are recommended to be rotated every 5k miles so at a 5k oil change it would be a great time to plan that"

Thanks so much for your quick answer, that's what I was expecting to hear :)

Your welcome, the Oil changes use to be around every 3k but with the improvements and use of full synthetic they go way beyond even up to 10k changes depending on the fluid. On my old RX300 I used 0-30 Castrol Oil European blend and it was truly a fantastic class IV synthetic. My Rx400h takes 0-20 which works great. The Old RX300 had some sludge issues and if your mileage is going to be low please use full synthetic. My neighbor with a Highlander and same engine used regular oil and was very low mileage per year and his engine sludged up and we had to rebuild it after the damage.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Lexux, great to see another Virginian on here so welcome.

Regarding fluids and all, I make it a policy to always change the oil and filter on any used vehicle I buy, first thing. I only use full synthetic and go 10,000 before oil and filter change, sometime less. I also use K&N oil and air filters. When you buy a used car, people won't change it and dealers will put in whatever cheap stuff they have. A prudent safety precaution for your Lexus.

If you see a white IS250 blow by you on 264, you'll know who.

Denny