Cleaning The Behemoth Lx470

Hi All,

I just got my first SUV, fortunately I got an LX470. The car came to me with some minor scratches and touchups. I'm not worried about that though. The paint though, looks malnourished though. Therefore, I'm devoting a day (playing hookie from work) to just detail the car. What are the procedures I should follow and what product? I.e. clay, then polish, then wax, then seal, then.... I'm limited to my hands and arms...please advise on the products. Also, I would like to condition my leather too. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

hey dave welcome to the club :)

there are many posts and opinions about the procedures you are asking about made by the members of the LOC.

just take a few minutes and look throught the posts in the detail forum. i have a pretty in depth detail procedure listed just a couple of weeks ago entitled "weekend full detail pics" also another new member asked the the same question yesterday which i (we) replied to in depth as well. :D

so just take some time and read through them, and if you have any other questions or a question you have is not answered than don't hesitate to ask, and feel free to post a specific topic regarding your issue.

there are also many topics about leather conditioner and treatment also, so just search around and read them. and do what i posted above about specific questions

there is a search bar at the bottom of the page which can be used to search for particular topics: just type in the key words

Suggest you check out www.zainostore.com I'm on of the "Zaino Zealots" on the board, but their full line of car care products have made a believer out of me. Also check out this link:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/topics.php?topicId=17

This is a part of the Autopia board with detailing instructions for beginners, enthusiasts and professionals.

I made the point in another post that while all of us have our favorite products, the final result depends 90%+ on the proper preparation of the surface. Plan to invest several hours/days on your first cleanup. I prefer a detergent (Dawn) wash (done less than 2x a year), followed by a vinegar rinse (don't forget the windows) which gets ride of waterspots, etc, then claybar, then wash with a regular carwash, then apply your choice of polish, glaze, wax, or sealant, etc. Don't forget to use a protectant on the external trim, seals, etc.

For cleaning the interior, Woolite 1 part to 6 parts water, applied with a spray bottle works great. Then apply your leather preservative. A nice final touch is to get some leather scented candles (Yankee brand) and put pieces under the seats. People will swear the car is brand new.

I also "dress" the wheelwells with Mop'n'Glo (spray it on). It is inexpensive, durable, and effectively "blacks out" the undercoat.

Be sure you have some aspirin/ibuprofen/tylenol. If you do it right, you're gonna be sore.

I love my lx470 .... good luck with yours!!

There is lot's of good reading here... I will not offer any advise since I am also a newbie to this.

try a search on my first post: "lots of general questions"

Some basic products for me:

meg. clay bar

meg# 9 swirl remover - walmart

collinite 476 wax -web order

microfiber towels - I use them for interior/dry exterior/ remove wax -costco

waterblade - walmart

wool mit - walmart

lexol leather conditioner - horse shop or local hardware store

If your leather is dirty you may want to read a post on magic eraser with 6-1 woolite.

:cheers: