Class Action Lawsuit Against Lexus

ddenoff

We are considering filing a class-action lawsuit against Lexus. The reason is that apparently even though the normal new-car warranty is 48 months (drive train 60 months), there is a 36 month deadline to purchase the Factory Extra-Care warranty. This deadline is notably NOT mentioned in any Owners Manuals, and it is entirely unreasonable to any normal person that an extended warranty would have to be purchased 12 months before the expiration of the normal warranty.

We believe that the exclusion of this information from any documentation given to new car owners is intentional.

We are interested in any Lexus owners who have also missed this deadline and perhaps been forced to buy aftermarket warranties at inflated prices (and inflated profit margins to the dealers)

We have attempted to speak to Lexus in Torrance, CA about this but we are getting the brush-off from everyone up to Denny Clements, the VP and General Manager of Lexus.

please contact me at dd@fibernet.com with any feedback.

Doug

• 1 month later...

We are considering filing a class-action lawsuit against Lexus. The reason is that apparently even though the normal new-car warranty is 48 months (drive train 60 months), there is a 36 month deadline to purchase the Factory Extra-Care warranty. This deadline is notably NOT mentioned in any Owners Manuals, and it is entirely unreasonable to any normal person that an extended warranty would have to be purchased 12 months before the expiration of the normal warranty.

We believe that the exclusion of this information from any documentation given to new car owners is intentional.

We are interested in any Lexus owners who have also missed this deadline and perhaps been forced to buy aftermarket warranties at inflated prices (and inflated profit margins to the dealers)

We have attempted to speak to Lexus in Torrance, CA about this but we are getting the brush-off from everyone up to Denny Clements, the VP and General Manager of Lexus.

Doug

It must be writrten somewhere. But if it isn't I still don't understand the merit here. LEXUS is obligated to fulfill its 48 month warranty. I see no other obligation for an extended one. Furthermore, doesn't one still have other Options? There are many "Good" Warranty companies that will extend the warranty as long as the original 48K mi warranty doesn't lapse. Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the case's merit.

I tend to believe the gentleman who found the writing not there. My finance gentleman last week who "forced " me to get the extended warranty used the following statements . The price would go up, and it might change and cover less, and they couldn't guarantee continuation unless you bought it when you got the car. Coersion was definitely there. I feel under the spell and spent $2000, and now I wish I hadn't. I could have put that money in the bank, and bought it as you say from others later. There should be a form like a real estate transaction that spells it out in detail.

• 3 weeks later...
We are considering filing a class-action lawsuit against Lexus. The reason is that apparently even though the normal new-car warranty is 48 months (drive train 60 months), there is a 36 month deadline to purchase the Factory Extra-Care warranty.  This deadline is notably NOT mentioned in any Owners Manuals, and it is entirely unreasonable to any normal person that an extended warranty would have to be purchased 12 months before the expiration of the normal warranty.

Doug

It must be writrten somewhere. But if it isn't I still don't understand the merit here. LEXUS is obligated to fulfill its 48 month warranty. I see no other obligation for an extended one. Furthermore, doesn't one still have other Options? There are many "Good" Warranty companies that will extend the warranty as long as the original 48K mi warranty doesn't lapse. Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the case's merit.

I'm having the same problem understanding the merit behind the suit myself. Lexus isn't exactly obligated to extend their warranty beyond the 48month limit. The extended warranty is a marketing strategy a North American automobile association came up with. I remember hearing about it back in 98 with my Infiniti. Except the dealer didn't try to push it down my throat, or tell me that I have to have it before the factory warranty expires.

Personally, $2k for a warranty that may or may not cover some items, doesn't sound like it's worth it. Does anyone know what is covered with this extended warranty, since I've never used it before?

• 6 months later...

If you feel you have a legitimate claim against Lexus for actual damages caused you, then you should pursue it in court individually. I think class action lawsuits are way over utilized and are abused most of the time. This fishing for someone else to jump on the bandwagon with you does more harm than good to everyone.

A couple of years ago I received a notice about a class action suit for a toy product that I had purchased for my son. I disregarded it and went on my way. Several months if not a year or so later, I received an $8 coupon as my part of the award/settlement. The coupon was for further toy purchases from the same manufacturer that supposedly caused me damage. After reading the court documents, I found where the attorneys were paid millions in attorneys fees and all I got was a stinking coupon.

My conclusions:

I recieved a useless $8 coupon from a company that lost a lawsuit to me when I didn't even know I had been damaged and thanks to me, some fat a$$ed attorney, deposited a big pay check. In the end, I'm sure I will end of spending more than the $8 coupon on further purchases to cover this lawsuit. You tell me. Who wins?

Class Action lawsuits are for the lawyers. Just like jbsmithsa, I recieved a notice from my credit card company that stated I was entitled to $3.75 while the lawyers were getting about seven million.

The way I see it if you don't like the warranty or the manufacture, buy another brand. Don't make me have to pay more for a car becuase you don't feel Lexus treated your warranty right.

Wick

Extended warr will cover everything except rattles. I wouldn't waste the money on extended warr. Good luck on the Lawsuit......I don't know if you are going to win though. You are going against the GIANT automotive maker.

www.jpimportz.org

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...