Ls460 Tires

I want to replace the tires on my 2011 LS460 (Sport package). The car came with Dunlop 245/45R19 98Y Sport Maxx 101 tires. The dealer is telling me I should replace with Michelin tires. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

I had a 2007 LS 460, now replaced with a 2014, when tires changed used Michelin & mileage exceeded 43k. No, I did not have sport package. I cannot say anything but good on quality of Michelin tires. Recall that manufacturers usually mount the tires on new cars from the manufacturer that gives them the lowest bid at that time.

Good luck John Margo

Couple of thoughts:

1. Go to www.tirerack.com and look at replacement tires for your car. You have choices of OEM only, or all tires. Check the Tire Rack rest results and user reviews (user reviews arguable as many are from unreasonably dissatisfied or blindly in love). That should give you an idea of the top two or three brands and the trade-offs in wear and handling.

2. As noted in previous response, manufacturers buy tires from manufacturer based on price and availability, but those tires must meet spec. Lowest price doesn't necessarily mean lower quality. I have not had a new car in a long time that had "cheap" tires.That said, Michelin is hard to beat for performance and wear. My choices are usually Continental and Michelin; you will not likely go wrong with either, and both make tires that are oriented more to performance or wear, depending on what you want.