Help! Paint Peeling 2014 Lexus Rx 350

PaintPeel Crop1

Help!!! My wife bought a 2014 Lexus RX 350 a few

months ago from Watertown Lexus here in MA.

A couple of weeks ago, we noticed paint peeling off the very top edge of

the rear bumper cover (the black plastic part that is painted the color of the

car).

The dealer inspected the car carefully, and said that Lexus Corp would only pay to strip

the paint off the plastic part and

re-paint it. We're furious that first of

all this could pass through quality control, but that Lexus would not replace

the bumper cover. It can't be cheaper to strip the paint off than just replace

the plastic, as far as man hours go.

And we're scared that the paint just won't hold in the long run.

Has anyone else had problem like this? We've never heard of this before on a brand new car,

much less a Lexus. We thought they had

very good quality. Any suggestions

greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, that is how most manufacturers would address your issue. New car or not, existing warranty will not replace bumbers, fenders, doors, etc..... if there are paint flaws.

That being said, paint technology has come a long ways since the past 2 decades. With computerization, matching colors is pretty straightforward and you will not notice the difference, especially on any plastic part (like your bumper).

This may not be the answer you want to hear but its what most high-end mfgs will be willing to do.

INSIST on making sure that whoever does the paint repair, REMOVES the bumper. Do not allow them to paint it while on the vehicle. It will create the possibility of overspray on other body parts and that will be problematic.

Bumpers are plastic and they now have plastisizer additives mixed with the primer and paint that make it bendable and last as long as "factory".

BTW, look at most PLASTIC body parts that come from mfgs. parts dept. They come UNPAINTED (usually flat black). Even if you get a new bumper it will still have to be painted.

Good luck and post your results!!!!

I agree with Rottboy, make them remove the bumper. I had some touch up work done on my G37 and they got overspray everywhere. Took me forever to get it off.

My '01 WS6 Trans Am's paint started bubbling up before it was a year old. That was the last GM product I ever bought.

Unfortunately, that is how most manufacturers would address your issue. New car or not, existing warranty will not replace bumbers, fenders, doors, etc..... if there are paint flaws.

That being said, paint technology has come a long ways since the past 2 decades. With computerization, matching colors is pretty straightforward and you will not notice the difference, especially on any plastic part (like your bumper).

This may not be the answer you want to hear but its what most high-end mfgs will be willing to do.

INSIST on making sure that whoever does the paint repair, REMOVES the bumper. Do not allow them to paint it while on the vehicle. It will create the possibility of overspray on other body parts and that will be problematic.

Bumpers are plastic and they now have plastisizer additives mixed with the primer and paint that make it bendable and last as long as "factory".

BTW, look at most PLASTIC body parts that come from mfgs. parts dept. They come UNPAINTED (usually flat black). Even if you get a new bumper it will still have to be painted.

Good luck and post your results!!!!

Great answer Les.

I can only imagine Xialoin how frustrated you are. There is no good reason why a car in the caliber of Lexus should have such a dumb mistake like this. I also would make sure ANY work on this problem be done by the dealer. You want to keep a record of all the activity involved in resolving a warranty issue.

Lexus, over the last two to three years has used one of the "softest" paints in the high-end auto market. Even detailers will complain about how difficult it is to polish/buff a Lexus car without leaving buffer swirls.

For additional help in working with your dealer, go to "Lexus.Com". Choose contact us or customer help, and start a file regarding the status of the problem, and request they contact the dealer and report back to you.

Paul

So very true, Paul A.

Us retail buyers deserve more from a supposedly "luxury" marque such as Lexus. Unfortunately, more often than not, dealers are out to sell cars and make money out of their service depts. To them, their "bottom line profits" are first and foremost. Its been more than 2 decades since Lexus entered the NA market with their LS400 and I personally feel that their CS support has degraded over that period. That said, they still remain better than most, perenially coming in the top 5 to 10 in JD Powers Consumer Satisfaction Surveys over the same period. The Euro mfr's, still play "catch up" but the !Removed! always manage to stay ahead. Certainly not perfect but still a "mile" above the rest.

Our RX's are made in Canada with quality control managed Toyota (Lexus) staff. Take note that although a unit may have a perfect body at the factory, but once fully assembled, logistics now comes into play. The get shipped, railed and trucked to various shipping ports around NA. Transporatation in itself adds other risks. Handling damage is pretty common. Mfgs. have repair facilities or sub-contract that work once defects are noticed at the different ports.

Once the dealer gets it, again, the vehicle is subject to their handling. Dealers all have funds or insurance to cover potential LOT damage.

We all feel Xialoin's frustration with the system but that is the real world! He bought a Lexus not a Kia. He should get and deserves first class treatment. Am confident that for his bumper issues, Lexus will set it straight.

Case in point. My '11 RX developed some tiny rust pinholes appearing in the rear hatch near the license plate/rear emblem area. Don't have salted roads here, but the Pacific ocean is all around. No stones or pebbles hit the rear either (don't off-road the wife's daily driver) as the bubbles were coming from within the paint. My dealer took pics, sent it for approval and in a month it was all done. They took out the rear hatch, removed all the trim and painted it. Its been one year, and no one can tell it had be re-sprayed.

......................There is no good reason why a car in the caliber of Lexus should have such a dumb mistake like this..............

I'll never understand snooty employees. I don't know if any of you fellas have ever been lucky enough to go into a Louis Vuitton store, but OMG....their employees are so snobby and try to make you feel beneath them. I just want to say "Hey......I'm the one in here buying a $1300 purse and your are working!!!!" Really?

I'm not too impressed with most of the people I have met at Lexus of Memphis. My salesman was the worst ever.

When you walk into a Lexus dealership you can almost smell the high fluting air. Sure they are all smiles offering you keirig coffee BUT you can tell they have an attitude.

Unlike their Toyota dealerships which act as normal people would Lexus tries this snoot thing. Love the cars hate the dealers thought it was only our local but it appears widespread.

When you walk into a Lexus dealership you can almost smell the high fluting air. Sure they are all smiles offering you keirig coffee BUT you can tell they have an attitude.

Unlike their Toyota dealerships which act as normal people would Lexus tries this snoot thing. Love the cars hate the dealers thought it was only our local but it appears widespread.